Lane splitting in AZ

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
copy/paste from ADV follows:

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/hb2475p.pdf

HB 2475 allows motorcycles to pass in the same lane as the vehicles they are overtaking and also allows them to operate between lanes of traffic.
Summary of the proposed strike-everything amendment to HB 2475:
The proposed strike-everything amendment to HB 2475 establishes a one-year program which allows motorcycle operators to overtake and pass vehicles in the same lane and to operate motorcycles between the lanes of traffic or between adjacent rows of vehicles when traffic is stopped.
History

Currently, Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) § 28-903 entitles motorcycle operators the full use of a lane of traffic, but does not allow operators to pass in the same lane as the vehicles they are overtaking or to operate their vehicles between lanes of traffic.
A.R.S. § 28-601 defines a roadway as the portion of a highway that is improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicle travel, not including the berm or the shoulder.
Provisions

· Allows motorcycle operators who are in stopped traffic within counties that have populations of more than 2,000,000 persons to do either or both of the following:
Ø Overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
Ø Operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent rows of vehicles.
· Repeals this legislation from and after December 31, 2011.
· Makes this legislation effective from and after December 31, 2010.
Amendments
Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
· The proposed strike-everything amendment was adopted.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I have moved along the shoulder in Phoenix traffic before, as my 1150 doesn't like sitting in 115 degree heat, but I think, with panniers, my ******** end is too big to be doing any serious lanesplitting....

-H-

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
There are few more dangerous practices. What's the rush that a moto can't drive normally in traffic with everyone else?

The only time I see this as being ok is when there is a prolonged traffic jam with no movement and the weather is hot or you have an aircooled moto. Then I can see it would be ok if you were to, carefully, use the shoulder to pass traffic.

Splitting lanes is kind of asking for trouble - Get snagged on a mirror, have someone squeeze you out or open their door on purpose, not see whats coming......:Wow1:

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Lane splitting is legal in California, but not in Nevada.
What's the story in other states?

GTABurnout

Explorer
I have lane split in Phx a few times. I will not sit in traffic on a motorcycle in 110 degree weather, When I did it I was as safe as possable. speed was low and gaps where large.

So is this saying that lane splitting is legal?

07 Elephant

Adventurer
No go in Texas. And I ride. I wouldn't do it in a state that it's leagal either. Defensive driving is a more long term approach than offensive driving. My goal is to stay here as long as I can.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
There are few more dangerous practices. What's the rush that a moto can't drive normally in traffic with everyone else?

The only time I see this as being ok is when there is a prolonged traffic jam with no movement and the weather is hot or you have an aircooled moto. Then I can see it would be ok if you were to, carefully, use the shoulder to pass traffic.

Splitting lanes is kind of asking for trouble - Get snagged on a mirror, have someone squeeze you out or open their door on purpose, not see whats coming......:Wow1:

Consider that legalizing lane splitting does not legalize speeding or reckless driving (riding). If traffic is moving, a motorcycle rider still cannot [legally] exceed the speed limit. So you won't see a bunch of people lane splitting at 60mph.

What they *can* do, is move through a traffic jam (as Andrew has mentioned). It will also be likely to slow riders down during rush hour on city streets (yes, I said it). There is no incentive to ride fast (weaving in/out of traffic, etc) trying to get ahead of that old person that is slowing the whole world down, when you can simply (and legally) pass them at the next stop light. Once the light turns green -- the motorcycles are gone (I'm typically moving at or near the speed limit by the time I clear the intersection, and the cage behind me is barely off the brakes), and there are that many fewer people trying to get through the intersection before the light turns red again. Traffic efficiency just got that much better.

It will (IMO) also encourage more people to ride motorcycles and scooters when commuting. If you could skip to the front of the line at every stop light, it can reduce your commute time significantly. The more people that ride, the more awareness goes up, which makes it safer for everyone. It also reduces congestion, fuel consumption, easier to find parking, . . .

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have lane split in Phx a few times. I will not sit in traffic on a motorcycle in 110 degree weather, When I did it I was as safe as possable. speed was low and gaps where large.

So is this saying that lane splitting is legal?

That is a perfect example of what this law (actually, it repeals the law prohibiting it) allows a rider to do. This is not about blowing past/between cars that are moving at 70mph down the freeway. This is about allowing motorcyclists to use open space to get out of traffic, when traffic is backed up.

Yes, it makes it legal, for the 2011 calendar year, in counties that have populations in excess of 2 million (which is only Maricopa County)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
CA is the only state that does not outlaw this practice.
And heaven forbid if you happen to be in the lane in the place where the m/c wants to go. Not intentionally blocking that part of the lane, but merely trying to see past the guy in front of you. The idea of your 'space' within the lane is lost. AFAIK they are welcome to the part of the lane that I am not using, not that part of the lane that I am using to see around the right side of the guy in front of me because he is so far to the left that I can't see past on that side. This happens frequently in my afternoon commute.

I understand that it was allowed so that air cooled engines wouldn't cook themselves. I still think that it is a bad law. Extremely, exceptionally rare is the rider who stops splitting lanes when the light changes. 99.99% of them gun it for the open space of the intersection. Sometimes that approaches an 1/8 mile distance.

I am a licensed M/C rider, I've never owned a water pumper, and I think it is a bad idea.

java

Expedition Leader
even a water cooled bike overheats in traffic when its 100 out. it was last summer and i stoped riding when it was so hot. it was miserable, and i was pushing my bike in traffic more than riding it. if lane spliting were legal here i would have been happy to make my way onto the freeway to do 20 mph in traffic. just not sitting still

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
No go in Texas. And I ride. I wouldn't do it in a state that it's leagal either. Defensive driving is a more long term approach than offensive driving. My goal is to stay here as long as I can.

Yes. Even if it was legal... driving in Texas is like driving down a highway where someone is trying to herd chickens... who are driving tanks... I think it definitely decreases your odds. :snorkel:

It will (IMO) also encourage more people to ride motorcycles and scooters when commuting. If you could skip to the front of the line at every stop light, it can reduce your commute time significantly. The more people that ride, the more awareness goes up, which makes it safer for everyone. It also reduces congestion, fuel consumption, easier to find parking, . . .

A nice thought... one I used to share. I don't ride any more. I got tired of close calls... its not worth it any more for me. I'll sit in traffic and dream of a world not full of ****** drivers. There are more bikes on the road today then ever before, which is a good thing, but there are more motorcycle fatalities as well. Everyone seems to be in such a big darn hurry. Leave earlier, slow down, arrive alive.

even a water cooled bike overheats in traffic when its 100 out. it was last summer and i stoped riding when it was so hot. it was miserable, and i was pushing my bike in traffic more than riding it. if lane spliting were legal here i would have been happy to make my way onto the freeway to do 20 mph in traffic. just not sitting still

... even if the bike doesn't overheat... you might!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94