Landcruiser Diesel - $6300

tundratrader

I saw this on craigslist awhile back as well. I cant believe it hasnt sold.
I wish I had the money for it right now.
Zach

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The speedo reading in Kilometers is a red flag. It may indicate that the vehicle was not imported into the USA correctly and has merely been registered in Alaska on a State level.

Part of the NHTSA & DOT requirements are to have the speedo converted to MPH.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Not necessarily, I don't think I've actually ever seen a HJ/BJ60 or BJ70 that has been converted of this era including one I used to have... It is pretty easy to import this era even before the 25 year rule because Toyota issued "the letter."

Just an FYI...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Part of the NHTSA & DOT requirements are to have the speedo converted to MPH.

Are you sure about that? I know of quite a few legally imported (through bonded import companies) Land Cruisers that are still rolling in clicks. While this might be on the books its quite possible it is not enforced or check as again I can think of a dozen or more imports still running stock gauge clusters.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Are you sure about that? I know of quite a few legally imported (through bonded import companies) Land Cruisers that are still rolling in clicks. While this might be on the books its quite possible it is not enforced or check as again I can think of a dozen or more imports still running stock gauge clusters.

I think you and Andre are correct, I look back through my importation documentation and having the odometer converted to MPH is not one of the requirements.

We imported a Mercedes when we moved back to the States and had the conversion work done by a bonded company. One of the things that they did was send the odometer away to be converted to MPH, I presumed it was one of the must do items.

I've been through the importation regulations thousands of time dealing with trailers but never thought twice to question my own assumption.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
It looked like some surface and seam rust. It would be nice to see it up close not at 55 mph covered in winter road grime like the few times I did see it. I would like to make a correction he had it first listed for $7,800 before he dropped it to $6,300 now. His earlier ads did not mention the trades like this one does.

Originally Posted by Martyn
I think you and Andre are correct, I look back through my importation documentation and having the odometer converted to MPH is not one of the requirements.

We imported a Mercedes when we moved back to the States and had the conversion work done by a bonded company. One of the things that they did was send the odometer away to be converted to MPH, I presumed it was one of the must do items.

I've been through the importation regulations thousands of time dealing with trailers but never thought twice to question my own assumption.

I have never dealt with the Regs first hand but, my Euro Spec M5 had this all done also by a bonded company when the PO imported it. Besides the cluster they also added different neck filler to the gas tank and added red and amber side marking lights and reflectors.

Last edited:

hoser

Explorer
The BJ70 for North America has the speedometer in both KPH and MPH increments. The odometer reads in KM only.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader

Still for sale but with more info now. From the latest CL ad. I only have seen it driving around town.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/1704173013.html

I have a rare1985 Toyota BJ70 diesel 5 speed manual Landcruiser for sale for $5000.00 or trade for a 1993/1994 Landcruiser or a Dodge diesel.
The frame is rusting and needs some jesus applied to it!
Registered in Alaska, I have been driving this rig for the past two years with out any problems Other than the leaf springs where weak and a couple of them broke so I had to replace them, it has 2" lift springs installed.
This rig came from Canada so it is in KM, it has 281000 KM on it. It does not use enough oil to say to. I got 30 MPG driving up to Fairbanks at 55MPH, I get 20's in town.
Great running rig, I hate to let it go but I would like to get back in the FJ80.

call Verne @ 250 1755

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Here are the pics from the ad.

Attachments

• LC1.jpg
    LC1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 90
  • LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 84
  • LC3.jpg