Landcruiser build for trip up to Alaska

alanymarce

I have lots of time in 100s (North Africa, Middle East mainly) and lots of time in 80s (Africa, South America). For what it's worth I would take the 80 (if I could find a good one), and don;t think there's much different in ride. I see more 80s which have been modified so much that their highway ride has probably deteriorated though.

Metrocruiser

Hi all and THANKS for all the feedback!!

The wife is not fond of the E350 or LC /trailer plan. She prefers a Sprinter 170. These used 4x4 vans are very expensive, like 40K-60K for a 2016 4x4 with no conversion. We are trying our best to get somewhere in the middle of the spectrum in regard to what platform to start with. I have talked with the family and they are all on board for some serious road trips. 1st will be around our home area of Vancouver BC. Within a 4 hour drive, we can go to Vancouver Island, Kamloops and Kelowna, Manning Park, Garabaldi and Whistler areas. Hoping to do some open camping on some river banks and do some gold panning, wildlife photography and take in the nature. There are Bighorns in the Kamloops area.

Looks like a new plan will be formulating......

Tex68w

Beach Bum
You have an ever evolving situation here haha. I love the Sprinters for what they are but they are definitely pricey and somewhat limited in their off-road capabilities depending on build and load.

billiebob

one thing about how remote north of 60 is, there is plenty of ingenuity. Break downs get fixed with what ever is handy and as long as you are not too anal about fitting GM parts on a Land Cruiser to get moving again, you will survive. But things are easier when yo come in something common or native to the land you are exploring.

Sprinter is definitely a good choice. They are a very common commercial vehicle in the north with plenty of parts and mechanics who already know them.

T4R@DNA

Observer
For a family of 4, Sprinter is great but limit with less off road capability but gain on road livability.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I drove to Deadhorse and Tuk in my 1985 FJ60. 13,000 miles in three months. I had a 40 gallon fuel tank that gave me decent range. below is a link to a three part sries I wrote for TCT magazine that might whet your appetite for the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz