Landcruiser build for trip up to Alaska

Metrocruiser

Hi all,
(Edit Feb 4, 2021switched to MB Sprinter)

Have not been here in a while. My kids have been the main reason for that. Now they are able to chop wood and light fires. Yay!
We have had a Nissan Armada since 2005 and we will be retiring it from the daily grind. However, I do not think that this is the vehicle to take us up to Alaska.

When I was a little more active here (2014), I was planning to build an 80 series. Reading the Australian 4 wheel drive mags was an awesome way to spend my free time.
Can you please chime in and let me know if there is a better Landcruiser/Lexus platform to build from? Im ok with the 80, but after seeing a nice 100 I was wondering about the value and cost of aftermarket upgrade. I am trying to get the best value for our dollars to build a reliable and stable expediton suv.

We are sourcing a Patriot type trailer with a 4 person roof top tent for the journey. There will be 4 of us and a dog.
As well, what do you think, diesel or gas?

If you could link me to some nice builds that would be awesome because I cant spend as much time on the forums with both kids being homeschooled because of Covid.

Thanks and hope you are having a good 2021!

Last edited:

Imurphy

Gasoline and Diesel are both readily available in Alaska and along the way through Canada. So between those, it would be down to personal choice and engine/transmission packages. I don't have any LC experience to weigh in on that part thou.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Plenty of people drive all over Alaska in Civics and Corollas; I see no reason you wouldn't be able to do the trip in your existing Armada.

Take whatever vehicle you'll be comfortable in, ensure you have a matching spare, and think ahead about fuel access on the few remote stretches. More important than what you drive, is having the time to go slow, explore, and enjoy the area.
X2. I'd just take the Armada. Why do you believe that is not the vehicle to take?

That being said if I had to pick between an 80 and a 100, I'd pick the 100. I had an 80. It was loud, slow and I didn't find it a great highway cruiser. Now that's just my opinion.

Metrocruiser

Wow thanks! For all the great info, I love my Armada but it's making a lot of noises and creaks. I don't want to spend any money on it. I'd rather build a vehicle I can have fun with for years. I only have limited time to be with my kids before they go to college. My family loves to go on road trips. We want to gold pan, scuba dive, adventure and if fortunate enough to buy some recreational land. My wifes q50 lease will be over soon and she will be getting a crossover SUV. I think I kept the Mada for these last 4 years because I don't like to drive a car lol.

Something I forgot about is, I've got a nice set of Dana 60s front and rear from a 78 F350. I was going to put them in my Bronco but the wife made me sell it. Taking up too much driveway and no A/C.

I was looking at the sports mobile vans as an option as well. I think I recall a guy in California would sell you the plans to build up a E350 van to a 4x4.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

billiebob

Hi all,

Have not been here in a while. My kids have been the main reason for that. Now they are able to chop wood and light fires. Yay!
We have had a Nissan Armada since 2005 and we will be retiring it from the daily grind. However, I do not think that this is the vehicle to take us up to Alaska.

When I was a little more active here (2014), I was planning to build an 80 series. Reading the Australian 4 wheel drive mags was an awesome way to spend my free time.
Can you please chime in and let me know if there is a better Landcruiser/Lexus platform to build from? Im ok with the 80, but after seeing a nice 100 I was wondering about the value and cost of aftermarket upgrade. I am trying to get the best value for our dollars to build a reliable and stable expediton suv.

We are sourcing a Patriot type trailer with a 4 person roof top tent for the journey. There will be 4 of us and a dog.
As well, what do you think, diesel or gas?

If you could link me to some nice builds that would be awesome because I cant spend as much time on the forums with both kids being homeschooled because of Covid.

Thanks and hope you are having a good 2021!
I'll assume the Toyota platforms are really well supported thru Canada and Alaska. And I'd never fault the Land Cruiser. But getting remote in Alaska, I'd prefer an older Ford, Chev, Dodge over an older Toyota. Parts, support, mechanics for the Big 3 are going to be far more available in the remote parts of Alaska. But Toyota would be my 4th choice.

That said, this Toyota went from Iowa to Alaska and back 40 years ago.

MCLELLAN_DSC_0219c.jpg

Last edited:

alanymarce

I'd go with an LC80 rather than the 100 - I've experience with 100s in North Africa and UAE/Oman, and with 80s in South America and Southern/Eastern Africa. I think the 80s are the better option. The key is condition - a good 100 will be better than an 80 in poor shape. So perhaps look for both and pick the best you can find. If you get a good one and do the right maintenance, renewing stuff which might present a problem, then you shouldn't need to do anything on the trip itself. I'd check suspension, steering, body integrity, radiators, driveline; service the engine; replace hoses, belts; full service; new AT tyres; then head northwest.

ericandnaima

Plenty of people drive all over Alaska in Civics and Corollas; I see no reason you wouldn't be able to do the trip in your existing Armada.

Take whatever vehicle you'll be comfortable in, ensure you have a matching spare, and think ahead about fuel access on the few remote stretches. More important than what you drive, is having the time to go slow, explore, and enjoy the area.

Hi, we did that trip from Vancouver to Inuvik by Fairbanks, in 1999 with a 20 years station wagon Volvo, 2 spare wheels and 3 kits on the back, with most of dirt roads and campground all way long, we called that adventure ?It's worth to do it, hope l can do it again with more time .....
Now l drove a 32 years old HJ61 Land cruiser.
Cheers
Eric

Last edited:

crazysccrmd

Observer
The thing about Alaska is that anywhere you can drive a Land Cruiser (or really any vehicle for that matter) really isn't that remote. Even if you broke down in Deadhorse you're still on the main highway system and can get a part from Fairbanks driven up in a day. Tows back down, although expensive, are easy to get.

Metrocruiser

Hi all,

I think I may scrap the LC dreams, I am researching a 4x4 van build like a E350 with Dana 60s and a pop up roof.
It is a daunting task indeed, to find the right platform for an overlanding rig.

All the best to EP peeps!

phsycle

Adventurer
I'd go with an LC80 rather than the 100 - I've experience with 100s in North Africa and UAE/Oman, and with 80s in South America and Southern/Eastern Africa. I think the 80s are the better option. The key is condition - a good 100 will be better than an 80 in poor shape. So perhaps look for both and pick the best you can find. If you get a good one and do the right maintenance, renewing stuff which might present a problem, then you shouldn't need to do anything on the trip itself. I'd check suspension, steering, body integrity, radiators, driveline; service the engine; replace hoses, belts; full service; new AT tyres; then head northwest.

So Why do you think the 80 will be better? For certain trails, I’d like an 80 for straight axles and lockers. But other than that? Not sure where the 80 would excel over a 100.

Hi all,

I think I may scrap the LC dreams, I am researching a 4x4 van build like a E350 with Dana 60s and a pop up roof.
It is a daunting task indeed, to find the right platform for an overlanding rig.

All the best to EP peeps!

I would advise against a custom rig like the E350 4wd. Mechanics and auto part stores out in the sticks will not be familiar with these rigs or stock custom parts.

Honestly, your trip can be done with the Armada. Just get it baselined. If you must get a new rig, think about a Sequoia.

Imurphy

As far as a custom rig, I would not worry about it too much. There is a Napa behind every other tree, and there are many customer 4x4 shops all over. There are tons of Quigley conversions running around here as well as home-built oddball stuff.

TonyLC

I saw a slammed rat-rod in Mancora Peru last year.
It was driven from Alaska to Peru. He was driving the Pan-American Highway.
If that thing can make it, an Armada can.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I would take a 100 over an 80 any day of the week for anything that will see any highway use. The 80 is fantastic offroad but it's not the best on the highway and they certainly aren't very comfortable. Like the others have said, take your Armada unless you just have an itch to build a Cruiser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles