HAMBO build thread

iggi

Ian
@Abitibi Funny, a while back I was obsessing over how to build new buckets to fit the original emergency light holes so I could repurpose them with new LED lights (like you did in your previous build) Seems much easier to just block the holes off with plates and then bolt the lights exactly where ya want. Sure am glad you're leading the way on some of this stuff. Save me the pain of implementing my own less than optimal ideas. lol

unreng

I lied, side lights were next in line :)

I did it differently than my 1st built on the AmbuLand, ended up being much easier, faster and cheaper plus the light output will be greater. Maybe even too much so I'll be installing a softer light by the camper door. I used Rivnuts to mount the side lights, worked great. Will be doing the wiring later once my electrical cabinet is built.
0a68937ec64a56a5162f859059fde382.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

FYI - an option that may work better than rivnuts or plusnuts is weld mount or click bond studs >>> they don't require drilling.
you can use their brand adhesive or construction adhesive.
following the build on SMB.
1600283577659.png

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Time to stop testing your stove, you’re smoking me out over here. ;)

I’m looking forward to seeing the sun again. Air quality over here is terrible because of the fires in the western states. I hope the rain helps to calm them down. If it’s this bad here, I’m afraid to think of what it is like nearer to the source.

How's the smoke over there? We see this all day...
0687BA23-6498-4684-BDF1-B3B8BCB29610.jpegC57193B4-8058-46E8-A3FA-DD443D8D60BF.jpeg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
FYI - an option that may work better than rivnuts or plusnuts is weld mount or click bond studs >>> they don't require drilling.
you can use their brand adhesive or construction adhesive.
following the build on SMB.
View attachment 612450
Those would be good for filling the holes all over my ambulance too
Cool options... have to be careful on these Ambos, ours all seem to get a cheap respray before sale. Due to poor prep I’ve had things I’ve bonded on come loose. The bond hasn’t failed, it’s just taken the top layer of paint with it.

Abitibi

Explorer
What sealant are you using for the exterior David?

I was just cruising the Ambuland page. I'm think of doing the under dinette drawer like you did. Would you do it again? Any lessons learned?

This is what I've been using for quite a few builds and haven't had any issues so far, even after many years. Plenty of other options out there, especially from specialized marine shops (some can even be applied under water!) which I've also used but happy with this one so far.

As for the dinette drawer, I'd do it again in a heartbeat! I'm actually doing something similar for my new build. It will either be another drawer/storage or a pull out shower pan.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20200918_165607.jpg
    20200918_165607.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
have you added the tcase and front driveshaft yet?
Not yet. I got the t-case, just need to mount it and get custom driveshafts built. I still have to chase one electrical issue before tackling the t-case project. I finally figured my airbag issue (loose connection as pointed out earlier) but the ABS light is still on so until I figure it out the ambo is staying put. Would love to drive it right now but I got plenty of other little projects to tackle on it before starting on the interior.

Abitibi

Explorer
@Abitibi Funny, a while back I was obsessing over how to build new buckets to fit the original emergency light holes so I could repurpose them with new LED lights (like you did in your previous build) Seems much easier to just block the holes off with plates and then bolt the lights exactly where ya want. Sure am glad you're leading the way on some of this stuff. Save me the pain of implementing my own less than optimal ideas. lol
Glad to be the testing mule ;) I'm quite happy how it turned out, might add a "bumper" in front of the light so I don't rip it off with branches but it feels pretty sturdy as is.

Abitibi

Explorer
Decided to tackle as much of the exterior projects as possible. The windows are pretty much done, same for the side lights.

I also decided to rename it, kind of liked AmboEvo given it was the evolution of the Ambuland but Landbulance has always been on my mind since I started on my 1st ambo so Landbulance it is!

As those side lights can be a little too much (blinding) when you are just chilling out I added a "courtesy" light that should work good for daily use.

I also found this cool electrical mini-awning on Craigslist and mounted it tonight. 48" of actual tarp width, might not overshoot past the rear door but will come handy for shade and rain. It was a pain to line up, had to make a template and all but at the end of the day it all worked out great! While there I re-purposed my old LED light bar that I had on my Patrol, tailgaters better watch out!!! lol Only thing I forgot to take into consideration is where to mount my back up camera. I was too excited with the awning that I forgot about it. Might mount it onto the door or further down on the bumper...

Still have a couple side cameras to install, the main side awning, side steps, snorkel and a few more thing but aside from the poptop the exterior is coming along very nicely! Will try to keep this thread going :)

Cheers
David

069abdf2403ce1a331acec45cb73cb38.jpg
7de868ca34128894875f963a15dd7fcf.jpg
c4a51edb248c535aabb36833155dfa5d.jpg
85ed41f6bdf50fbea2e8785a7837b405.jpg
eda37cb940d6aff93f8d45a56823206d.jpg

4ee708c95a5c3ce02fca6b7af4b4c52b.jpg

Last edited:

TheRealPapaK

As for the dinette drawer, I'd do it again in a heartbeat! I'm actually doing something similar for my new build. It will either be another drawer/storage or a pull out shower pan.

What depth did/are you making the the drawer? I am thinking somewhere around 8" but I don't want it to be too shallow...

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Decided to tackle as much of the exterior projects as possible. The windows are pretty much done, same for the side lights.

I also decided to rename it, kind of liked AmboEvo given it was the evolution of the Ambuland but Landbulance has always been on my mind since I started on my 1st ambo so Landbulance it is!

As those side lights can be a little too much (blinding) when you are just chilling out I added a "courtesy" light that should work good for daily use.

I also found this cool electrical mini-awning on Craigslist and mounted it tonight. 48" of actual tarp width, might not overshoot past the rear door but will come handy for shade and rain. It was a pain to line up, had to make a template and all but at the end of the day it all worked out great! While there I re-purposed my old LED light bar that I had on my Patrol, tailgaters better watch out!!! lol Only thing I forgot to take into consideration is where to mount my back up camera. I was too excited with the awning that I forgot about it. Might mount it onto the door or further down on the bumper...

Still have a couple side cameras to install, the main side awning, side steps, snorkel and a few more thing but aside from the poptop the exterior is coming along very nicely! Will try to keep this thread going :)

Cheers
David

069abdf2403ce1a331acec45cb73cb38.jpg
7de868ca34128894875f963a15dd7fcf.jpg
c4a51edb248c535aabb36833155dfa5d.jpg
85ed41f6bdf50fbea2e8785a7837b405.jpg
eda37cb940d6aff93f8d45a56823206d.jpg

4ee708c95a5c3ce02fca6b7af4b4c52b.jpg
Now that you have the awning installed, do you have any thoughts on the ideal width?
Especially since You’ve got to lot more time camping in a crestline than anyone else I know.

The reason I’m asking is that I have a manual, self supporting, awning that came on mine when I bought it. The tarp is about 7.5’ wide... which would be good, if it didn’t stick out about 8” on either side of the box. Before I reinstall it I plan to cut down the tarp and hardware to a narrower width. Originally I was thinking I’d limit the hardware width to 88”(box width), but I’ve since realized it would fit and look better if it were narrower.

Thoughts?

Regarding the backup camera, I’d want it higher up than the bumper. I’m currently running two cameras:
The first backup camera allows me to see everything behind the rig. It’s mounted to a plate which replaced the centre lens of the lights above the rear doors. I can see everything up to about 9’ high and still see everything that’s more than 2’ behind the Ambo.
The second, mounted beside it, is aimed more downward. I can see the corners of the rear bumperettes and about 7-8’ back.

I still need to run a wire from the reverse lights to trigger the switch between the two, but for now I manually switch between the two when I’m parallel parking it in a standard 21’ parking spot on the street.

The setup works well, but there’ll be a sweet spot partway down the door where you’ll still be able to see over the piss-pots following you without having a blind spot behind your rig. I’d even consider mounting it over near the taillights on the right side do that the camera isn’t jarred as much if the dot gets slammed shut. The passenger side will give you a better view of the lane in your right and the shoulder... but the trade off is that you’ll have less view of the left rear bumper corner when parallel parking (perhaps less of a concern since the ship is leaving the harbour because you‘ve chosen a lwb Ambo)

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
What depth did/are you making the the drawer? I am thinking somewhere around 8" but I don't want it to be too shallow...
Depth or height? Depth is only restricted by accessible room and slider's length.
For the height it depends how much free head room you have. Mine was around 6" and it worked good. I was putting heavy stuff in there so making it bigger (deeper drawer) would have put more stress on the sliders as I'd be loading it more ;)
Think of the step to climb on top of it to access your dinette, myself I'd like to keep it around 7".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior