HAMBO build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
I'd vote or Toyota Cement or Lunar Rock. Not a big fan of tan's and brown... Oh wait, my 40 is Khaki... How'd that happen? I think it'd be too big on an Ambo though.
You might be right, very hard to tell. I saw a small bus today in similar color... it's ok but my buddy who's building a very similar ambo is thinking sand color for his... not looking for a twin, lol

Here's a pic of that bus I saw today.

77cae253d7c4361edbf197826608d4cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My own bias is that my first POS car was beige and I hate brown. That said I like the look of a khaki FJ40 with Black (& white) trim... makes no sense. I even considered white for a long time, but it’d always be dirty and therefore look brown.

Blue will be its shiny colour.

Abitibi

Explorer
Well, the weather was good enough to sand most of the ambo but not good enough to paint outside so kept busy with more sound proofing. I took advises from a bunch of you guys (thank you, Ian...) and added a few layers of sound dampener (Noico) inside the doghouse. Quite an easy task and 10sqft was plenty. I also added some between the doghouse and the "future" console (once I find one that's no so damn pricey!)

Not sure how much of a difference it will make as the doghouse already had a OEM similar thick layer inside but everything should helps. The other layer with that yellow and silver material has seen better days (not pictured) but it easily went back along with the seal.

20200426_162806.jpg

I've also been fighting with my door locks and I don't think I'm winning that battle! Having a hard time figuring out what's my real issue and the issues are different between doors. On a couple doors, even in locked position I can still pull the handle and it will unlock the door. Likely the small inside lock arm (like the one in the picture below) is sloppy or maybe the claws at the top and bottom of the doors? On one of my rear doors the bottom claw doesn't grab at all (doesn't stay engaged) so the door stays shut only by the top claw. I'll post pictures next time I take the panels out but I took them so many times today I don't wanna look at them for a few days!!!

BTW, anyone knows where to find these type of locks?

20200125_154514 (1).jpg

Cheers
David

nyyankees588

Well, the weather was good enough to sand most of the ambo but not good enough to paint outside so kept busy with more sound proofing. I took advises from a bunch of you guys (thank you, Ian...) and added a few layers of sound dampener (Noico) inside the doghouse. Quite an easy task and 10sqft was plenty. I also added some between the doghouse and the "future" console (once I find one that's no so damn pricey!)

Not sure how much of a difference it will make as the doghouse already had a OEM similar thick layer inside but everything should helps. The other layer with that yellow and silver material has seen better days (not pictured) but it easily went back along with the seal.

View attachment 582050

I've also been fighting with my door locks and I don't think I'm winning that battle! Having a hard time figuring out what's my real issue and the issues are different between doors. On a couple doors, even in locked position I can still pull the handle and it will unlock the door. Likely the small inside lock arm (like the one in the picture below) is sloppy or maybe the claws at the top and bottom of the doors? On one of my rear doors the bottom claw doesn't grab at all (doesn't stay engaged) so the door stays shut only by the top claw. I'll post pictures next time I take the panels out but I took them so many times today I don't wanna look at them for a few days!!!

View attachment 582051

Cheers
David
They sell them online... I tried to replace a similar one on my packasport roof box, unfortunately I never found an actual quality lock of that type that I'd trust. Most were cheap-o amazon locks.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link, pretty sure I can find something in there!

And today I bought my paint, went with an olive type color, semi-gloss. Not sure how it will turn out but I've always liked green so it should be a good start!
I’d consider these or something similar. The lock on my Tuffy is excellent quality

248525F7-8688-4E56-BA2B-313D2BFE6EE8.jpeg

FDM2012

Adventurer

View attachment 582050

View attachment 582051

Cheers
David

I did mine about 4 years ago, and got them on Amazon. However, they were a little cheaper back then. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHRUOXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you search "tubular cam lock" on ebay, you can fond reasonable prices: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...am+locks.TRS0&_nkw=tubular+cam+locks&_sacat=0

It takes a little "Booty Fab" to get them to work, but you are more than astute enough to make them work! (Grinding and bending)

Abitibi

Explorer
Thank you all.

Well this is definitely on my to do list. Not sure if everyone realize but the ambulances door locks can be opened with the same key for an entire fleet so with my current key I can easily get into many other local ambulances (and transit buses!), scary isn't it! I'm surprised I never climbed into my ambo to find some stranger drinking my cold beer out of my fridge!!!

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Sometimes things just don't turn out how you expected them...

It took me a few good days to remove all the old decals glue, a couple more to sand the entire ambo and one full day to paint it in my laneway, lol. When I chose the color it looked kind of olive (very light green) but once I finally finished painting and walked back to admire my result what I saw was a mix of lentils soup, dijon mustard, pea soup... you get the idea, lol

I was actually looking at a color very similar to the van in my avatar, kind of sage green? But the paint I used is a marine enamel and more of the industrial type so color choices weren't bountiful.

So today I went back to the store and bought another gallon of a more greenish color. No harm done as I need a 2nd coat anyway and the cost to paint my entire ambo (I estimate less than 3g) turned out to be around $120usd :D
I just rolled the whole thing with a long hair roller so to get some texture to the paint. I'm not too fussy, it's gonna be a bush truck... So here's what my neighbours and I have to look at until I slap on the 2nd coat of "greener" paint.

Cheers
David

20200511_192727.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thank you all.

Well this is definitely on my to do list. Not sure if everyone realize but the ambulances door locks can be opened with the same key for an entire fleet so with my current key I can easily get into many other local ambulances (and transit buses!), scary isn't it! I'm surprised I never climbed into my ambo to find some stranger drinking my cold beer out of my fridge!!!
Is you key single or double sided? I’ve been told my single sided key is too old to open newer ambulances. :D

Abitibi

Explorer
I went at it again today, this time with more of a green tint and I'm stoked with the result! Really happy with the new color. I'll still need one more coat, not really necessary but there were a few thin spots here and there and I ran out of paint for the roof so the seals, trims and rear windows will have to wait before going back! In the last picture you can see the actual difference in color from the previous failed attempt...

I also committed myself to build a custom poptop since I ordered the fabric. I'll be building pretty much everything on my own this time instead of retrofitting a RTT like I did on my previous ambo. It might not be as roomy as the first one but it will do the trick :)

Cheers!

20200515_163028.jpg

20200515_163037.jpg

20200515_160838.jpg

FDM2012

Adventurer
Much better with the greener tint. Gonna look awesome!

I went at it again today, this time with more of a green tint and I'm stoked with the result! Really happy with the new color. I'll still need one more coat, not really necessary but there were a few thin spots here and there and I ran out of paint for the roof so the seals, trims and rear windows will have to wait before going back! In the last picture you can see the actual difference in color from the previous failed attempt...

I also committed myself to build a custom poptop since I ordered the fabric. I'll be building pretty much everything on my own this time instead of retrofitting a RTT like I did on my previous ambo. It might not be as roomy as the first one but it will do the trick :)

Cheers!

View attachment 586018

View attachment 586019

View attachment 586017

Abitibi

Explorer
Much better with the greener tint. Gonna look awesome!

Great! Funny how some people preferred the previous color but I'm more of a green type of guy. My good friend who helped me doing all my engine mods on my other ambo came over tonight for a beer. He also recently bought an ambo that he started converting. The beer sure tasted better while we were planning our builds :)

We finalized how we'll be raising our roofs and decided on lifting it only by 4" plus the additional height of the poptop. We have the identical ambo except his is a 2006, our floor plan will be very similar although he doesn't have kids which gives him more freedom with his design. It should be an interesting summer for us as both ambo's should move at a similar pace for their builds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles