Land Rover TREK series coming back

This is an important photo and something I brought up in another thread a while back when I spoke of knowing your trail weight and center of gravity; notice the D5 has almost zero weight above the doors. Looks like a spare and some Jerry's up there which could be negated with a proper rear bumper (Hint Hint Lucky8; make us one!).

Point is, the vehicle is perfectly comfortable here and so should a well aware driver! However, the way I see some people load up there rigs for a trail; putting every piece of kit on the roof they can stuff up there, can create catastrophic results with a roll-over situation. Novice trail peeps see picts like this and do not understand their load-out determines what, where, and when they can/cannot use OEM performance specs.

Stay smart and frosty!

DieselRanger

This is an important photo and something I brought up in another thread a while back when I spoke of knowing your trail weight and center of gravity; notice the D5 has almost zero weight above the doors. Looks like a spare and some Jerry's up there which could be negated with a proper rear bumper (Hint Hint Lucky8; make us one!).

Point is, the vehicle is perfectly comfortable here and so should a well aware driver! However, the way I see some people load up there rigs for a trail; putting every piece of kit on the roof they can stuff up there, can create catastrophic results with a roll-over situation. Novice trail peeps see picts like this and do not understand their load-out determines what, where, and when they can/cannot use OEM performance specs.

Stay smart and frosty!
Excellent point - It highlights the maxim, "as fast as necessary, as slow as possible." Take this too fast and you're rubber side up; "tiptoe" through the weight transfer and you're likely going to be fine. Properly securing any load inside the vehicle is also essential as a shifting load will roll you over as well even if you appear to be within the vehicle's limits.

The new Defender has a dynamic load of 300+ lbs on the roof; the D5 does not - the dynamic load on the D5 is 176lbs including any rack. That spare wheel and tire weighs on the order of 75lbs by itself, never mind the mounting hardware to keep it in place. The rack is probably 25lbs plus ten or so for the lights, and the sand ladders are probably 15-20lbs all in. A couple rotopax full of fuel or water and you're at your limit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

voodoojk

Adventurer
The trek finals are jan 17. then the fest. the defender launch is the beginning of that week. We are thinking they will all be wrapping them together somehow..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles