Land Rover LR4 wheel size

Jermgallo

i recently bought a 2011 Land Rover LR4 and wanting to run some good AT tires. Looking at 275/55/18 KO2. The LR4 came with 19's but i really want to run 18's to get more meat on the tires. Is this possible to run the LR3 18inch wheels with out doing any type of modifications

krick3tt

Adventurer
When I got my 07 LR3 it had stock mag 19s and I got steel 18s from Lucky 8. So I run those rather than the 19. I am not sure that the 4 and the 3 are that much different. These have Duratrac 265 65 18R on them. My issue is that they are a little thin on the sidewall and not good for airing down. How do the KO2 work for a decrease in pressure?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
LR4 has different brake setups than LR3 so 18 will not fit

As far as I know there are 3 choices
  1. use spacers to fit LR3 wheel
  2. grind down some material on the brake calipers to allow fitment of LR3 wheel
  3. use another manufacturer wheel that will fit without spacers or caliper grinding, like the Lucky 8 wheel (if it clears) or the Compmotive 18's.

Jermgallo

3. use another manufacturer wheel that will fit without spacers or caliper grinding, like the Lucky 8 wheel (if it clears) or the Compmotive 18's.
thats what i was afraid of, i was hoping to keep it in the OEM wheels but doesnt look like thats going to be an option unless can put a spacer on and not sure how reliable that would be long term.

Jermgallo

When I got my 07 LR3 it had stock mag 19s and I got steel 18s from Lucky 8. So I run those rather than the 19. I am not sure that the 4 and the 3 are that much different. These have Duratrac 265 65 18R on them. My issue is that they are a little thin on the sidewall and not good for airing down. How do the KO2 work for a decrease in pressure?
i haven't ran the KO2 yet just looking at what the best options would be, doesn't look like i will be able to run with the 18in OEM wheels with out some mods so going back to the drawing board.

Jwestpro

Explorer
How do the KO2 work for a decrease in pressure?
the ko2 works great at low psi but you'll need to read up on psi vs vehicle weight. basically for a stock lr4 at 6000 lbs, 20 is fine but you could go as low as 13-15 depending on the tire size. there are formulas for this but that range will get you through most situations. you have to be mindful of things like the surfaces too in order to not pinch the tire against the rim on sharper objects. the lowest psi is usually more for sand and snow for example.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer

from what i've heard, a 25mm spacer still may require grinding.

Jwestpro

Explorer
i haven't ran the KO2 yet just looking at what the best options would be, doesn't look like i will be able to run with the 18in OEM wheels with out some mods so going back to the drawing board.

There are also the rally spec 18's being brought in by Mainliine overland. They are 18x8 which IMO is a better choice than the 8.5" compomotive. Plus there are more color choices. The Evo corse is also 8.5 for the 18". I was confused because the 17" are 8" wide.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
i recently bought a 2011 Land Rover LR4 and wanting to run some good AT tires. Looking at 275/55/18 KO2. The LR4 came with 19's but i really want to run 18's to get more meat on the tires. Is this possible to run the LR3 18inch wheels with out doing any type of modifications

from choices above, a 4th choice is to swap the brake rotors out to lr3 sizing. I'm actually using 17" factory wheels with lr3 v6 sized rotors.

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
We will be bringing in the first sets of 18x8.5 LR4 wheels next month. They are completing production and then we'll have them in the states. The ET is 35 which will clear the brakes as needed so no spacer will be necessary.

We've been running the 17" versions on just about everything you can think of and planning on putting one of the first sets of 18s on our RRS S/C

Let me know if you have any questions!

mpinco

Expedition Leader
On our 2011 LR4 we run Motorsports BORA 25mm spacers, LR3 18" wheels and 285/60-18 General Grabber AT2 Load Range E tires. Five wheels were $500 and in excellent shape. No issues in over 40K miles of Colorado roads, trails and trailer towing.

Personally I would not run anything but load range E tires on a LR4.

merr1ca

On my '11 LR4 I run lr3 '18's and BORA 25mm spacers. I would opt for Compomotives or those new Evo Corse's if I had to do it again. Spacer's do funny things to your suspension geometry and accelerate wear on the ball joints (ask me how I know).

As for tire size, In the NE winter's I would only do a skinny tire. I'm currently running a set of Nokian WRG3 SUV's 255/60R18 XL. My previous tire was a 275/65/18 Cooper AT3 and they had very poor directional stability and turn in. They were also too big (width mostly) and destroyed my fender liners and flares even after loads of trimming and cutting those frame horns off.

General consensuses is that 265/65/R18 is the ideal size for the LR4. It's hard to get any usable gain's beyond that.

Here's a short video I did showing my old setup.

Jermgallo

On my '11 LR4 I run lr3 '18's and BORA 25mm spacers. I would opt for Compomotives or those new Evo Corse's if I had to do it again. Spacer's do funny things to your suspension geometry and accelerate wear on the ball joints (ask me how I know).

As for tire size, In the NE winter's I would only do a skinny tire. I'm currently running a set of Nokian WRG3 SUV's 255/60R18 XL. My previous tire was a 275/65/18 Cooper AT3 and they had very poor directional stability and turn in. They were also too big (width mostly) and destroyed my fender liners and flares even after loads of trimming and cutting those frame horns off.

General consensuses is that 265/65/R18 is the ideal size for the LR4. It's hard to get any usable gain's beyond that.

Here's a short video I did showing my old setup.
what was the issue with the spacers? did you have a steel or aluminum?

Jwestpro

Explorer

I have never seen steel spacers for the modern land rovers. My favorite are ones that have a stud that is set in via spline or at least not simply threaded in from behind like the terrafirma. I have H&R which are very high quality but i have seen one other similar made in the US but cannot recall its name.

merr1ca

These are Aluminum.

The issue comes in the form of increased wear on suspension components. Moving all that weight off of the centerline puts extra leverage isn't ideal. I've burned through two sets of front ball joints in two years and I'm sure it wont be the last.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94