Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jgaz

Adventurer
I had completely forgotten about your “shower power” pump.

I follow most of your threads on here but sometimes can’t remember what and in which thread.

I do use a stick on thermometer on my shower bag.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This was in Land Rover Owner a few issues ago:

DometicInflatable.jpg

Seemed like it could be an improvement on tents with rigid frames, so I searched to find out how easy it is to set up.

Not sure it would be easier to set up than a traditional tent after watching that video, in addition to inflating it there are rigid supports that need to be fitted. Might be more work that a traditional tent?

I wondered if there might be inflatable roof top tents, so I searched and found this: https://gentletent.com/en/gt-roof

This video makes it seem pretty simple to set up, and it looks quicker and easier than the traditional RTT I have:

Another inflatable from the August issue of LRO:

VangoAwning.jpg

Inflatables: Wacky idea or emerging trend?

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
This was in Land Rover Owner a few issues ago:

DometicInflatable.jpg

Seemed like it could be an improvement on tents with rigid frames, so I searched to find out how easy it is to set up.

Not sure it would be easier to set up than a traditional tent after watching that video, in addition to inflating it there are rigid supports that need to be fitted. Might be more work that a traditional tent?

I wondered if there might be inflatable roof top tents, so I searched and found this: https://gentletent.com/en/gt-roof

This video makes it seem pretty simple to set up, and it looks quicker and easier than the traditional RTT I have:

Another inflatable from the August issue of LRO:

VangoAwning.jpg

Inflatables: Wacky idea or emerging trend?
I'm leery of inflatables, as I've ended up on the floor from every air mattress I've ever slept on, and my kiteboarding kites always needed maintenance to hold air.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What would you get if you crossed a Defender with an Airstream trailer? Probably something like this one from Duckworth Overland featured in the August issue of Land Rover Owner:

LRAirstream1.jpg

LRAirstream2.jpg

The interior is a woodworker's dream:

LRAirstream3.jpg

LRAirstream5.jpg

Full side view:

LRAirstream7.jpg

What if:

JKAirstream1.jpg

You can find them at DuckworthOverland.com. They haven't finalized the pricing yet, but it's said to be in the 200k GBP range (on a Land Rover). No plans for Jeep versions announced.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Definitely the most interesting vehicle I've seen in a while! I like the interior wood finish and the proportions are right for a defender. I don't get the rear hatch though........Looks like a good ingress for dust and water.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
From the August issue of Land Rover Owner:

More photos: https://gforcebuggies.com/dash-boards/

As each successive generation of Wrangler dash becomes more like a minivan dash, I'll bet something like the above to retrofit into a Wrangler could be very interesting to a lot of people.

Or how about the dash and overhead console on the soon-to-be-released Ineos Grenadier:

GrenadierDash.jpg

First off, I love this thread and am glad you're able to continue finding cool styles that could be implemented in Jeep designs. Keep it up!

Regarding the dash, I agree that the JK was definitely a Jeep move toward the minivan. Luckily, for me, it isn't drastic enough to think minivan each time I get it but I definitely thought the JL would be worse. However, to my surprise, I think they brought back some more of the ruggedness in the JL. A reto/functional kit like this would be welcome in the JK world but I do like an OEM look as well. So it'd have to tread lightly for me.

Now the Grenadier, Man! Talk about function. I love the interior of this thing and would love to put my name down on the list for one but that'll have to be pushed later down the road.
I think they did a good job bringing back solid clicking switches. Who doesn't love the sound and feel of a firm rocker switch. Touch screens are nice and all but fingerprints sure to get annoying along with lag.

Most importantly though... we all need this secondary horn for polite interuptions.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
First off, I love this thread and am glad you're able to continue finding cool styles that could be implemented in Jeep designs. Keep it up!

I get issues of two Land Rover magazines each month and almost always there are a couple of things in each issue that are worth posting. I've got a backlog of things to scan and write up, so I think I'll be able to continue indefinitely.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Even though they're British magazines, they often feature new places in the U.S. to explore. Land Rover Monthly recently ran an article about the Black Rock Desert in Nevada.

BlackRock1.jpg

BlackRock2.jpg

I guess the Brits read more than Americans because all of the American magazines are going under - JP Magazine, 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine, JRations all have gone under in the past few years, but the British Land Rover magazines seem to be doing OK.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Lots of people build wooden floors in the cargo area of their Wranglers for mounting things - fridge slides/kitchens, drawer units, etc. and I think all of the ones I've seen are painted black. From the August issue of Land Rover Owner, this wood floor is in a Range Rover, but it's a little nicer than plywood painted black... it's actually teak.

RangeRoverTeakFloor.jpg

I've seen the same thing done in Defenders too, this Defender was on display at the SEMA Show last fall.

Defender2b.jpg

Defender2d.jpg

Defender2e.jpg

Defender2c.jpg

I think I've only once seen something like that in a Wrangler. I took this photo at Easter Jeep Safari in 2015 - the Chief concept had a wood slat floor:

JeepChiefConcept.jpg

But other than that one I don't think I've ever seen something like this in a Wrangler. Anyone seen anything like this in a Wrangler?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Exmoor has recently been promoting their new soft top for 4-door Defenders, they posted these two photos on Instagram:

Exmoor4drSoftTop.jpg

Exmoor4drSoftTopRolled.jpg

I prefer the roll-up side windows to the fixed ones Jeep offers. Roll up side windows are common in Defender soft tops, here's one from another company:

Foley4drSoftTop.jpg

I like that overall design a lot better than the Jeep factory soft top. What if...

Exmoor4drSoftTopJLU.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles