Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another idea for Gladiator people who might want to sleep in their truck bed:

MosquitoNet.jpg

Just one problem, the Gladiator bed is so short; I guess you'd have to sleep with the tailgate down for extra length. Or maybe just the kids could sleep there.

Wouldn' t be difficult to build a frame for a canopy like this and sew the canopy and mosquito net for a Gladiator.

Jurfie

Adventurer
The top left photo above shows a repurposed fuel filler bezel with air and water connections. It's also visible in the first photo in this post.

The drawers/power outlets could be done in a Gladiator; and what about repurposing a fuel filler bezel the same way on a Wrangler? I took a quick photo of my dirty JKU and did a little photo editing - driver's side on the left, edited passenger side on the right... I didn't put any connections in the edited bezel, I'll leave those to your imagination:

GasFillerRepurpose.jpg

Wouldn't be hard to mod a fuel filler bezel like this and for protection an aftermarket fuel filler door could be added. Would be an OEM-looking way to add outside connections to a Wrangler.

I like this idea for adding an air compressor chuck and pressure gauge, similar to the cowl mounted version from the Wayout concept. Could even add one of those OEM or aftermarket fuel filler doors to keep everything hidden away and clean.

Mules

Here's a jeep set up like Land Rover Conversions. Most of the ideas are coming from European Land Rover pop tops.
IMG_5660.JPGIMG_5657.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mog

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looks like an interesting work-in-progress. It appears that they cut the factory half cab back wall off, moved it to the rear of the pickup bed, and joined the two halves with panels.

As for the structure on top, it's not clear exactly what the end result of that will be, but it looks like if could have been constructed with TrailTop parts. I've done several projects with TrailTop parts...

This camper top and pop-up lid are framed with TrailTop parts and the panels are 1/4" plywood:

TrailerAndJeep3.jpg

The work-in-progress photo of this Jeep-tub teardtop shows the use of TrailTop framing. Panels of 1/4" plywood were later installed:

HatchAssy10.jpg

A sampling of TrailTop framing parts:

PartsSoFar2.jpg

Mules

Looks like an interesting work-in-progress. It appears that they cut the factory half cab back wall off, moved it to the rear of the pickup bed, and joined the two halves with panels.

As for the structure on top, it's not clear exactly what the end result of that will be, but it looks like if could have been constructed with TrailTop parts. I've done several projects with TrailTop parts...

This camper top and pop-up lid are framed with TrailTop parts and the panels are 1/4" plywood:

TrailerAndJeep3.jpg

The work-in-progress photo of this Jeep-tub teardtop shows the use of TrailTop framing. Panels of 1/4" plywood were later installed:

HatchAssy10.jpg

A sampling of TrailTop framing parts:

PartsSoFar2.jpg
Trail Top would have saved me a lot of work making the parts myself. Where were you when I needed you :)IMG_5196.JPGMy approach was a bit more eclectic. Check out my build thread.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In the January 2022 issue of Land Rover Owner this item is in the "Stuff: Latest Products for your Land Rover" section:

SwitchPanel(1).jpg

These are manufactured in China (no surprise) and a number of retailers offer them. In the U.S., Auxbeam is one such retailer. Auxbeam often sends me things to test and review, and a while back I did a review of their 8-gang switch panel: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...ch-accessory-power-panel.206225/#post-2640852

And more recently they sent me a 6-gang version: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...factory-hardtops.127687/page-322#post-2942757

They're not very expensive and work pretty well.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm on Auxbeam's email list and coincidentally they just sent an email about a new version switch panel with Bluetooth control:

61ddc6ac-dbfd-42d8-f687-e3f256e93f8b.jpg

More info here: https://auxbeam.com/products/qp008526

They say they're sending me one of these new ones for testing. When it arrives I'll test it and post a review. Might be a while because these are so new they haven't arrived in the U.S. yet, they'll be sending it to me from China.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back in October I did a few posts about cargo nets from Rock n Road (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-66#post-2968689), ones for roof racks, bonnets (hood in U.S. English) and other locations on Land Rovers. In the January 2022 issue of Land Rover Owner, editor John Pearson writes about a bespoke ("custom" in U.S. English) net he had Rock n Road make for him; it's an overhead luggage net.

RockNRoadBespokeOverheadNet1.jpg

He's got "lock 'n' load fixing" (as he calls it) already mounted inside the roof of his Defender, so he had the custom net made with those attachments:

RockNRoadBespokeOverheadNe3.jpg

RockNRoadBespokeOverheadNet2.jpg

In use, he says "it's really useful for stashing lightweight items like jackets, waterproofs and bedding".

RockNRoadBespokeOverheadNet4.jpg

The postings I did in October inspired me to DIY a similar net (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...fit-this-custom-lj.46300/page-62#post-2973659), but I used ratchet straps instead of the "fixings" he used.

Like his, mine has mesh so smaller items can be stored up there:

ScreenStapled.jpg

Unlike his, I was able to store heavier items like my half door uppers up there because the ratchet straps can really put a good amount of tension on the webbing.

InstalledUppers.jpg

According to John, the Rock n Road nets start at 225 GBP ($300), but if you can do some simple sewing you can make one like mine for just over $20.

DIY instructions for the net I made are at the link above.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The cover story of the January issue of Land Rover Monthly is this Defender 90:

SassySoftTop1.jpg

I'd like to do a soft top like that for a JK/JKU. There is a similar soft top for the LJ (https://www.americanconvoy.com/) and Greg's done an outstanding job on it, but unfortunately it's not very available (the web site say they're expected to be available again in late 2022). But nothing like it for the TJ, JK/JKU or JL/JLU.

Another interesting thing about this Land Rover is the woodwork.

SassySoftTop2.jpg

Airline track for securing loads:

SassySoftTop3.jpg

A drawer under the wooden floor:

SassySoftTop5.jpg

SassySoftTop4.jpg

The irregularly shaped Wrangler inner fenders would complicate a tub interior like that but it would be possible to do something similar with some creative woodworking. Or at the very least a really nice floor panel with airline tracks like the photo above - making plywood floor panels for Wranglers and painting them black is pretty common, how about someone doing a really nicely woodworked and finished floor panel like the one in this Land Rover?

Wood interiors for Land Rovers might be becoming a trend, here's one I saw at SEMA this year: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-66#post-2971525

I use wood a lot to make Jeep body parts, but only for mold masters for making molds and then making the parts in fiberglass. I've never done wooden parts to actually use in a Jeep.

One more idea from the article - real leather wraps for things like the grab bar:

SassySoftTop6.jpg

That actually was a Jeep idea - the Laredo package of the CJ-7/CJ-8 had a leather wrapped grab bar. They're highly sought after these days and there are also multiple places that will re-wrap an old one in new leather for you. When I built a new dash for my CJ-8 years ago I replaced the chrome grab bar with an original leather one:

Dash2.jpg

I think it would be nice to have custom leather wraps for TJ and JKU grab bars and other interior parts. Maybe they do exist, I haven't looked very hard. Maybe I'll make some.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
The cover story of the January issue of Land Rover Monthly is this Defender 90:

SassySoftTop1.jpg

I'd like to do a soft top like that for a JK/JKU. There is a similar soft top for the LJ (https://www.americanconvoy.com/) and Greg's done an outstanding job on it, but unfortunately it's not very available (the web site say they're expected to be available again in late 2022). But nothing like it for the TJ, JK/JKU or JL/JLU.

Another interesting thing about this Land Rover is the woodwork.

SassySoftTop2.jpg

Airline track for securing loads:

SassySoftTop3.jpg

A drawer under the wooden floor:

SassySoftTop5.jpg

SassySoftTop4.jpg

The irregularly shaped Wrangler inner fenders would complicate a tub interior like that but it would be possible to do something similar with some creative woodworking. Or at the very least a really nice floor panel with airline tracks like the photo above - making plywood floor panels for Wranglers and painting them black is pretty common, how about someone doing a really nicely woodworked and finished floor panel like the one in this Land Rover?

Wood interiors for Land Rovers might be becoming a trend, here's one I saw at SEMA this year: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-66#post-2971525

I use wood a lot to make Jeep body parts, but only for mold masters for making molds and then making the parts in fiberglass. I've never done wooden parts to actually use in a Jeep.

One more idea from the article - real leather wraps for things like the grab bar:

SassySoftTop6.jpg

That actually was a Jeep idea - the Laredo package of the CJ-7/CJ-8 had a leather wrapped grab bar. They're highly sought after these days and there are also multiple places that will re-wrap an old one in new leather for you. When I built a new dash for my CJ-8 years ago I replaced the chrome grab bar with an original leather one:

Dash2.jpg

I think it would be nice to have custom leather wraps for TJ and JKU grab bars and other interior parts. Maybe they do exist, I haven't looked very hard. Maybe I'll make some.
This gives me some great ideas for my Willys rebuild! Woodworking is a hobby of mine, so would love to incorporate a modular setup like the back of that defender into my camping lload out!

Also, I now need a leather wrapped grab bar....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles