Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think there's definitely the potential of this looking cool! Especially if you can get it recessed enough to not obstruct the view.
The TJ has a few inches between the engine and the hood so the spare can be recessed but there's almost no clearance between the hood and the engine on a JK or JL so on those models the spare couldn't be recessed.

wandererr

Adventurer
The TJ has a few inches between the engine and the hood so the spare can be recessed but there's almost no clearance between the hood and the engine on a JK or JL so on those models the spare couldn't be recessed.
I wonder what the 'air cooling' penalties will be when you reduce the air volume from around the engine. Part of the cooling 'mechanism' is for air to move around the engine as well. If you drop down the hood closer to the engine you'll limit the air movement.

Zeep

Adventurer
I wonder what the 'air cooling' penalties will be when you reduce the air volume from around the engine. Part of the cooling 'mechanism' is for air to move around the engine as well. If you drop down the hood closer to the engine you'll limit the air movement.
The catalytic converters are tucked up fairly high under the hood on TJ's. Reducing under hood volume, would not be a option for most.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A Dutch company Called Kiwi Equipment offers this "Küchenbox" (Kitchen Box):

Kiwi-K_chenbox1.jpg

Kiwi-K_chenbox3.jpg

Kiwi-K_chenbox2.jpg

Kiwi-K_chenbox4.jpg

Something like that could easily be built for the side of a Wrangler hardtop. But if I were doing one I think I'd add some soft of padding or retaining straps in the compartments so things didn't rattle around and break on the trail.

More info here: http://www.kiwi-equipment.de/zubehoer/

wandererr

Adventurer
So depending on where you are traveling through this could be problematic on a wrangler. A lot of great trail for exploring out here in the west are tight canyons with rock outcroppings that lean out to the road meaning that the box hanging so far out to the side could be a liability.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So depending on where you are traveling through this could be problematic on a wrangler. A lot of great trail for exploring out here in the west are tight canyons with rock outcroppings that lean out to the road meaning that the box hanging so far out to the side could be a liability.
Wouldn't be hard to build something useful that doesn't stick out past the rear fender flares of a Wrangler.

K_chenboxJK.jpg

In the literally thousands of miles I've done on trails in Colorado, Utah and California I can't recall anywhere this would have been a problem, but if someone does explore canyons so narrow that outcroppings would hit the box then a box like this isn't for them.

wandererr

Adventurer
I've been out exploring parts of Mojave where folks lost rear quarter panel windows due to an outcropping sticking out as the vehicle shifted. Not a common occurance but I have seen it happen. Following the fender line is not going to prevent that.

On the other hand it's something that varies from where folks go and what roads they choose to follow. I offered my comment as a caution rather then a norm to be expected.

Reactions: mog

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Kiwi Equipment also offers this grille which also serves as a grill...

KiwiGrille1.jpg

KiwiGrille2.jpg

They say the "Kiwi-Kühlergrill macht seinem Namen alle Ehre" - The "grille" lives up to its name (their pun intended). Installations involves "wird einfach gegen den Originalgrill ausgetauscht" - its simply exchanged for the original grille and "mit Befestigungsschrauben" - and comes with mounting screws.

I assume it doesn't come with the rocks to set it on, hopefully those can be found wherever you need to cook in the wild.

Not sure I'd want to put it back on the vehicle after cooking on it, the grill in my backyard always has meat drippings and other debris on it after barbequing. I was going to draw a Jeep concept version of this but decided nobody would ever want one on their Jeep so I decided not to. And I don't think I'll be developing a Jeep version of this :).

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Kiwi Equipment also offers this grille which also serves as a grill...

KiwiGrille1.jpg

KiwiGrille2.jpg

They say the "Kiwi-Kühlergrill macht seinem Namen alle Ehre" - The "grille" lives up to its name (their pun intended). Installations involves "wird einfach gegen den Originalgrill ausgetauscht" - its simply exchanged for the original grille and "mit Befestigungsschrauben" - and comes with mounting screws.

I assume it doesn't come with the rocks to set it on, hopefully those can be found wherever you need to cook in the wild.

Not sure I'd want to put it back on the vehicle after cooking on it, the grill in my backyard always has meat drippings and other debris on it after barbequing. I was going to draw a Jeep concept version of this but decided nobody would ever want one on their Jeep so I decided not to. And I don't think I'll be developing a Jeep version of this :).

I remember 25 years ago as a school kid looking at Land Rovers, and the comment in the magazines was often that S3 grille couldn't be used as a grill.

krick3tt

Adventurer
If you use a round grill you could hide it beneath your spare tire cover. Only to be seen when you were using it for cooking

d0jo

That's a good idea and easy enough to do with the TJ and earlier models, but more challenging for the JK and JL - notice in the photo of the JK door panel below the inside latch handle sits in a sculpted part of the door panel. Since it doesn't sit on a flat surface, it would be a challenge to reuse it on a flat panel. Might be able to replace it with a TJ inside latch, which does sit on a flat panel. Probably more trouble than it's worth to make it a commercial product, I doubt there would be much demand for something like that which requires a custom door panel or different inside latch plus the door pocket panel - it would have to be priced more than the market would probably bear.

PocketPanelDriver1.jpg

Normally I don't like bringing old posts back up from pages ago. But today i was looking at how sad the nets are in my JK now (6 years later after numerous and thousands of miles of abuse). I want to get a bag like this one but in black, where did you get yours at?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Normally I don't like bringing old posts back up from pages ago. But today i was looking at how sad the nets are in my JK now (6 years later after numerous and thousands of miles of abuse). I want to get a bag like this one but in black, where did you get yours at?
They're from Overland Outfitters (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/#/). When you go to their site they show photos of the leather pocket like mine (actually they borrowed my photos), but they also have a version with a black pocket. The black pocket version I believe still has a leather flap on the pocket, but you can ask them about that.

jscherb

Expedition Leader

Not sure this is strong enough to do the job against rock outcroppings, but here's some Land Rover window and side armor...

DefInStyle1.jpg

They're from "Def In Style" (Defender in Style): http://www.def-is.com/en/shop/body-protection/window-protection/product/view/1/5.html

Another place they're available is Milspec Vehicles: https://www.milspecvehicles.nl/product/side-door-window-guard/

MilSpecVehicles1.jpg

Anybody need something like this to protect their Jeep?

MilSpecVehicles2.jpg

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
Those window guards, I would think they would capture more brush than protect the windows. Might keep out a bear or a two legged varmint.
Did not think of having my Marston mats done in black, mine have stayed the relatively shiny aluminum color as delivered.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few more Land Rover accessories from Milspec...

Door handle protectors? I had no idea these were a thing or could ever be needed :).

MilspecDoorHandleGuard.jpg

An overhead rack. Might not work out in a Wrangler unless the rear seat was out due to headroom/danger of rear seat passengers hitting their heads.

MilspecOverhead.jpg

MilspecOverheadA.jpg

MilspecOverheadB.jpg

And a "gullwing", which is what the Land Rover crowd calls a side compartment that replaces the hardtop window. This one just bolts in place of the window glass. In a Wrangler it's slightly more complicated because the window mounting surface is a compound curve - a gullwing with a flat flange like this couldn't be used in any of the Wrangler hardtops though, all of the Wrangler window mounting surfaces are curved.

MilspecGullwing.jpg

MilspecGullwingA.jpg

MilspecGullwingB.jpg

All here: https://www.milspecvehicles.nl/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles