Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I don't believe there's really any place on a Jeep that's 100% safe to carry fuel - it's possible to think of a dangerous scenario for almost any location. All of the crash statistics that I've seen indicate that rear-end collisions are the most common type so mounting fuel on the tailgate may be the least safe place on a Jeep even though most Jeeps that carry jerry cans have them there.

My personal practice is to travel with jerry cans empty until the last mile before the trailhead. If I believe I might need fuel on the trail I'll fill the cans(s) as late as possible before leaving the pavement, and I'll empty the cans into the tank as soon after leaving the pavement as possible.

BTW it might not be that fuel is the liquid that needs to be carried, most times for me it is not. Carrying extra water when camping in the wild is always a good idea, really can't have enough water. So maybe the front bumper idea I posted is a good candidate for Scepter water cans. Keeps them low in the CofG, spreads the weight around (not all of the cargo weight needs to be on the back half of the vehicle) and provides plenty of water for showers, dishwashing, survival if needed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This photo made me think about patio umbrellas...

PatioUmbrella.jpg

What about using a patio umbrella for this purpose? It wouldn't be hard to rig up something to mount it to a Jeep. If you look closely at the photo it appears they may store this in the large tube attached to the roof rack. If you only needed an anwing like this oocasionally, you could rig something for a large patio umbrella, use it for those occasional times, and the rest of the time the umbrella could shade the patio at your house.

Dumb idea?

pith helmet

Could be useful for shade purpose, maybe not as good as an awning for rain. Love the idea of anything that can be used at home as well as traveling, though. A really nice patio umbrella is also cheaper than most awnings.

RainGoat

Most Americal vehicles locate the petrol tank under the vehicle at the rear, is that any safer in a collision?
My understanding was that gas tanks were located under the car between the axles exactly because that was the most protected position.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of 5g of gas in my impact zones. Either water or the fill at the last stop & top off when done method for me. I’ve seen too many burn victims to ever want to take the chance if being one or doing it to someone else.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Carrying one of these seems like a good idea, especially since it's small and inexpensive:

WireSaw.jpg

I was in the local Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and they've got a good selection:

WireSaw2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Many Defenders and Series Land Rovers have the spare on the hood, which leaves room on the tailgate for mounting other things.

TailgateJerryCans.jpg

I can understand carrying 4 jerry cans for an African safari perhaps, but the one above has California plates so these jerry cans must be fashion accessories - I can't think of anywhere they could possibly go in the U.S. where that much extra fuel could be required so the cans must be a California fashion accessory :).

I'm not even sure jerry cans are legal in the Great State of California.

bitbckt

They are legal, but they must be painted according to their contents if they’re flammable (red=gas, yellow=diesel, blue=kerosene), and have CARB-compliant spouts. I carry a regular “donkey **********” spout despite the regs.

Green/brown is usually used for water here, due to the kerosene reg, and is legal in all of the various Scepter/Wavian/surplus configurations.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Different places seem to have different rules for everything.
When I drove x-military vehicles they were OD and I was never hassled by any LEO. I have carried them on my trailer in red but all others were inside the trailer and were OD color. When my MOG was painted desert sand, the cans were painted to match.
Now that I drive a LR they are carried under the vehicle, out of sight and are OD.
I have never, in 40+ years of off roading, been hassled or confronted about the color, and blue/light brown is the preferred color here for water although I did have some green Euro versions that were green but did say wasser on them. Usually water cans have a wider mouth/pour spout that no flex petrol spout will fit so that eases the confusion somewhat.

krick3tt

Adventurer
RainGoat,
I removed the spare, it is now located on a swing away carrier by T4x4. I fabricated a drop down carrier that holds two Nato cans in its place. Basically the same weight but low for a better COG. I have made several for my LR friends and they really like the idea as well as the functional aspect. Used the tire lowering winch of the LR. No drilling or change to the LR itself. Used 3/16 steel plate.IMG_0018.jpg

RainGoat

Some buddies & I have been talking about doing something similar in our trucks. Can you post a few more pics to get a better idea of how you worked it. We’d be modifying for a different vehicle but the principles should remain the same. Love the idea of incorporating the spare tire winch. There is a commercial product out there for $150/6g (https://www.trailedonline.com/ ) but I like your idea much more for all the obvious reasons. Particularly, I have essentially never needed extra gas but I take it on occasion as insurance. Storing it like this would be fine. I ALWAYS take extra water & would love a backup. Finally, accomodating Sceptre jerries gives it universality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles