Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

Jurfie

Adventurer
I still get both Land Rover magazines every month so as I find things in new issues that I think might be interesting for Jeeps I'll post them but I'm done going through my back issues :). Well, maybe if I get caught in a weak moment I'll post more from the back issues, there are a lot of camper conversion ideas in the magazines that I haven't covered here.

Well, we certainly appreciate you posting up those older articles and ideas! I just wanted to make sure you didn't think you were talking into the abyss...even though we might not reply to every post, it certainly gets the creative juices flowing and sparks innovative ideas.

Here's hoping you have some weak moments...maybe keep a stack next to the commode to peruse while you're otherwise occupied? ?;)

I'm thinking of starting a new thread - I've spent a lot of time in India over the past 20 years and I've collected quite a few photos of the various Mahindra jeep models made over there. There's a fascinating range of body styles there that I wish we could have over here. There aren't too many overlanding/mod ideas in those photos, but the jeeps themselves are fascinating. If people think Mahindra means Roxor, that's only a tiny fraction of the interesting models you'll find over there, so if you folks think a thread like that would be interesting (and not too far off-topic for this forum) I'll consider starting a thread to let my many photos see the light of day.

My comment above still applies. I don't think ingenuity and possible solutions are limited to Jeepers and Land Roverererers; I'm sure owners of Mahindra products have some neat ideas that could carry over to Jeeps. I know that I love the aluminum boxes you've posted before, as a start. How do they compare to some of the other options available on the market? Perhaps some custom-sized to fit the Jeep dimensions would be fun if someone could find a builder in India to partner with.

rolando

Observer
That's because 'the Jeep community' seems to be only interested in completely removing the spare and adding an 8" lift and 37"s. I haven't figured out this logic yet.

I like the idea.

I am driving a Jeep (my third FWIW) and like these ideas as well. Isn't the goal of overlanding to "go places" (to quote that other brand ;-)), and therefore any idea that makes that possible is a good one?

rnArmy

Adventurer
Got my "Keep calm and air down" patch today. On the underside of my trailer's lid I glued some 2" strips of velcro, and I attach patches to them. Some patches are the ones I wore while in the Army.

Attachments

• Patches.2.jpg
    Patches.2.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Patches.1.jpg
    Patches.1.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 42

jscherb

Expedition Leader
We all should be wearing masks these days and in a recent issue Land Rover Magazine is offering one for Land Rover enthusiasts:

LandyMask.jpg

That item reminded me that Land Rover Owner magazine often offers premiums along with subscriptions although most don't apply to subscribers on the U.S. due to the cost of shipping. One premium that was offered several times to subscribers over here are these neck gaiters - after seeing the item above in the most recent issue of Land Rover Magazine, I remembered getting these, so I got them out for this selfie:

LRGaiters.jpg

I've been sewing my own N95 masks since the beginning of the pandemic. So far I've made them with fabric scraps I have on hand but the other day I found a source of Jeep fabric that would make cool masks. I did a few simulations of what the masks might look like...

JeepMasks.jpg

I plan to order some of these fabrics for the next set of N95 masks I sew.

pith helmet

Great ideas, as always. Love this thread and your builds. I was recently looking at the posts where you were building an extension for the rack on your TJ.
Do you mind sharing a little info on your welding set up? I would assume you are using MIG with gas to get such clean welds on light material. I am currently still fighting with my old stick welder, blowing holes in the light stuff. Thanks for all the inspiration!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Great ideas, as always. Love this thread and your builds. I was recently looking at the posts where you were building an extension for the rack on your TJ.
Do you mind sharing a little info on your welding set up? I would assume you are using MIG with gas to get such clean welds on light material. I am currently still fighting with my old stick welder, blowing holes in the light stuff. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Thank you.

I've got a Hobart Handler 180 MIG welder. It's got settings from very low power for welding sheet metal up to 180 amps for welding things like Jeep frames and I always use gas with it. I bought it in 2008 to lengthen the frame for my Wrangler pickup project, taught myself to weld by making a bending brake to do some of the sheet metal work for the truck, and the second welding project was the frame.

Welder.jpg

My first project: a sheet metal bending brake. I still use it all the time 10 years later:

BendingBrake.jpg

My second project: lengthening an LJ frame 22" for my Wrangler pickup project:

PickupFrame.jpg

The pickup is still a daily driver and now has about 80,000 miles on it as a pickup, so I guess the welds are ok :).

Since then I've done more welding projects than I can remember.

pith helmet

Thanks! Yes, I’d say those frame welds are well tested.
I have been eyeballing the Hobart 140. Never used MIG so have been a little trepidatious. Will make the leap soon I think. Thank you for the information!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Getting new issues in the mail from the U.K is very slow these days, I assume partly because of the pandemic but some new issues have arrived and I've got a few interesting things to post from them.

I found this roof top tent and Land Rover setup interesting. The article is mostly about a trip these people made, not about the Land Rover configuration and all it says about the tent is that it's "self made". It looks like it might be a ground tent adapted to a "self made" folding platform so it can be deployed on top of the vehicle, but it could be completely "self made", the article doesn't give a clue. The url on the door of the Land Rover and apparently on the tent (it's too small to read on the tent but it looks the same) is insails.com, which appears to be a Dutch sail maker, so I'm sure they have the capability of sewing the tent from scratch, so maybe it is completely "self made". Anyway, idea #1 in this post - converting a ground tent into a roof top tent by adding a folding platform.

ChangingRoom2.jpg

Homemade or "self made", it is different in that is uses poles to support the outer edge as you can see above. But what they also use the poles for is interesting:

ChangingRoom.jpg

Idea #2: These side walls could be done pretty easily; adapt some poles to the corners of your RTT and use a commercially available and inexpensive canopy tent wall, the one pictured below is available from Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...zer-Pockets-for-Straight-leg-Canopy/495552727

CanopyWall2.jpg

CanopyWall1.jpg

Seems like you could build a pretty nice annex/changing room this way.

I built a changing room/annex for my RTT using similar panels I found at Walmart but mine is a more typical annex, it hangs from the tent platform and doesn't require poles for support. I think I posted photos of it earlier in the thread. But the way they've configured their side walls to angle out towards the vehicle provides more room inside so it might be a good idea to consider for those who want a larger annex than one that is just the size of the tent platform. I can post more about one I made if people are interested.

A few other ideas from this overland-equipped Land Rover... a flexible solar panel in what may be a folding or rolling bag. I'll have to research this one a little more.

ChangingRoom3.jpg

And a nice "gullwing" cargo door (as they call them in the U.K.):

ChangingRoom4.jpg

What they use the cargo compartment for:

ChangingRoom5.jpg

I wonder how/if they secure the things on the shelves when in motion? It looks like there are straps around some of the pots and cans in there but some things seem unsecured.

Jurfie

Adventurer
I like the idea of a home-made platform with a ground tent, and one I had considered when I first got my JK (2-door). Sure, it wouldn’t be as sexy or as quick to deploy, but it would be much lighter than a traditional RTT and be much lower profile. Perhaps I’ll revisit that idea in the future when I’ve got a garage again.

I really like the way the created that annex, though. Thanks for posting and keeping this thread alive!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Speaking of ground tents, what if you camp with a large ground tent but it takes up too much room in the Jeep? How about a rack basket just for the tent?

OzTentBasket.jpg

I checked the web site for more info and not much can be found there but in any case it's not a product that is available in the U.S. Wouldn't be too hard to make one though.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Might not fit a Jeep but my Front Runner roof rack is the perfect length to hold an OZ tent. By the way the original bag that comes with OZ3 gets a bit small after awhile but Drifta out of Australia sells a cover that is just a bit bigger and is great.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hatches in the roof?

RoofHatches.jpg

This Land Rover is used in tour service, it's got hatches in the roof so people can get a good view of the wildlife without getting out of the vehicle. Some people don't mind getting out of the vehicle and even laying on the ground to take pictures as you can see in the photo.

Seeing this photo reminded me of a scolding I got in the Ranthambore Tiger Preserve in India; we were with a driver and a naturalist guide and I got down out of the vehicle for a moment to stretch my legs while we were stopped in the jungle (no tigers were in sight at the time) and I was very quickly and firmly told to get back in the vehicle. The vehicle was an open-top Maruti Gypsy (a long wheelbase Indian-built Suzuki Samurai), it didn't seem to me that the Gypsy offered much more protection from a tiger than standing on the ground but rules are rules so I obeyed and got back in quickly. Apparently the photos they're taking above aren't of tigers :).

Anyway, back to the subject photo, I've been trying to imagine a use for roof hatches in a Jeep hardtop for a Jeep that's not used in tour service and I can't come up with any good ideas, so I guess we'll leave this idea for the tour services. Any ideas for roof hatches?

wildorange

Observer
Hatches in the roof?

RoofHatches.jpg

This Land Rover is used in tour service, it's got hatches in the roof so people can get a good view of the wildlife without getting out of the vehicle. Some people don't mind getting out of the vehicle and even laying on the ground to take pictures as you can see in the photo.

Seeing this photo reminded me of a scolding I got in the Ranthambore Tiger Preserve in India; we were with a driver and a naturalist guide and I got down out of the vehicle for a moment to stretch my legs while we were stopped in the jungle (no tigers were in sight at the time) and I was very quickly and firmly told to get back in the vehicle. The vehicle was an open-top Maruti Gypsy (a long wheelbase Indian-built Suzuki Samurai), it didn't seem to me that the Gypsy offered much more protection from a tiger than standing on the ground but rules are rules so I obeyed and got back in quickly. Apparently the photos they're taking above aren't of tigers :).

Anyway, back to the subject photo, I've been trying to imagine a use for roof hatches in a Jeep hardtop for a Jeep that's not used in tour service and I can't come up with any good ideas, so I guess we'll leave this idea for the tour services. Any ideas for roof hatches?
That certainly appears a custom job.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles