Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Great color combo on your Sahara. I have a Gobi color Unlimited and the matching soft top would be great If I didn’t already have the black.
A matching soft top on a Gobi JK would look awesome.

One of the benefits of using the Jeep factory Spice color on my hardtop is that fabrics are available to make matching accessories. This trash bag/gear bag was made from a used Spice tonneau cover I found on eBay for I think $25...

TrashHopperJK1.jpg

And this tactical spare cover was made from Cordura nylon fabric...

ProductionCoyote2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What if you have a boat and a roof top tent and want to take both on an expedition?

BoatAndRTT1.jpg

BoatAndRTT2.jpg

BoatAndRTT3.jpg

It wouldn't be too hard to fabricate something that mounts to the front frame/bumper of a Wrangler to support a boat like this.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That must be an awfully small boat.
Since that's a Defender 90 and the boat looks to be a bit longer than the wheelbase, judging by the photo I'd guess the boat is probably about 8 1/2' or 9' long.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Later model JKs have stay rods to keep the tailgate open but earlier Wranglers do not. I guess this could be one way to keep an earlier model tailgate from closing:

XXDoorStayXX(1).jpg

To keep the rear door of my LJ open I designed and built a stay that fits inside the tailgate hinge.

ExogateProp1_zpsujwwt3dj.jpg

ExogatePropProto3Installed1_zpsmfvhixl1.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Been there, done that part 8

It took me a moment to notice the green sticker on the left side rear window:

MileZero.jpg

It's a "Mile Zero" sticker, apparently this Camel Trophy Defender has been to Key West.

All 3 of my Jeeps have been there too, but only this one has a the sticker:

MyMileZero.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Canvas Box Covers

Ignore the guys trying to figure out what's wrong with the engine, I'm posting this photo to show the fabric box covers on the roof rack.

CanvasBoxCovers.jpg

Plastic boxes known as "Wolf boxes" seem to be very commonly used overseas on Land Rover roof racks; I did some searching and found this from Camp Cover in South Africa, it's designed to cover 2, 3 or 6 Wolf boxes: https://www.campcover.co.za/product/ammo-cover-ripstop/

There are other similar box covers on the market in the UK.

I like the idea of waterproof covers and/or bags for gear on the rack so a while back I sewed one sized for my "over the spare" rack (MORryde Overland Rack):

Cargobag1_zps7io6teru.jpg

A little searching turned up a company that makes custom covers to order: https://www.coversandall.com/custom-covers.html I've got a plastic box I picked up years ago at Walmart that I occasionally use on the rack so I entered the size to see what a custom cover would cost. $25.99 seems pretty reasonable:

CustomCover1.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A nice box for a double cab with a full-length roof rack, something like this could be nice on a Gladiator...

CamelBac1_zps97irsclk.jpg

CamelBac2_zpsnvwpdzod.jpg

CamelBac3_zpsgkkfczfg.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
A nice box for a double cab with a full-length roof rack, something like this could be nice on a Gladiator...
In many of those D130 photos I'm shocked to see the full-length roof rack bridge the cab and the bed.
Surely that's a no-no for the independent movement required ?

-Dan

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In many of those D130 photos I'm shocked to see the full-length roof rack bridge the cab and the bed.
Surely that's a no-no for the independent movement required ?

-Dan
Dan,

I believe it works because the rack is more flexible than the frame, so the rack flexes as necessary to follow the flex of the body and I also believe Land Rover frames are more rigid than Wrangler frames so the frames flex less.

I haven't studied a Gladiator frame and I don't know how much it flexes, so a rack mounted so closely to the body and with mounting points on the roof and box top so close together might not work on a Gladiator, but I'm sure a similar rack could be designed for the Gladiator to deal with whatever flex exists in that frame.
j

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If a Gladiator frame has significant flex, a rack like this should work - check out how much distance is between the drip rail mounts on the cab and the mounts at the back of the bed - nothing in between so lots of opportunity for rack flex.

DoubleCabSoftCap.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles