Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One thing I have never seen on a Land Rover - angry bird/angry eyes or pretty much any type of goofy grill. Good show, chaps :)

This one doesn't count - it belongs to Veronica Lemond, she's an author of a children's book featuring "Landy" the Land Rover.

HappyEyes.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
More external storage

This compartment would work great on the T-tracks I prototyped the other day.

HardtopSideBox.jpg

I've seen several Defenders with boxes on the back, here's one on a Range Rover. Note the U.S. license plate, this photo is from an article about an adventure in the Mojave Desert.

RangeRoverTailgateBox.jpg

On a Jeep... a while back I made a set of brackets to mount a large ammo can on the tailgate hinges.

81mmJKTailgate1_zpsltbqzw55.jpg

81mmJKTailgate2_zpsguja773v.jpg

81mmJKTailgate3_zpswyqmipr8.jpg

There's less room on a TJ tailgate, so the same can is a bit in front of the tail light.

81mmTailgate1_zpsfvu6fgiv.jpg

But a simple mod to the factory spare carrier (drilling new holes 1" to the right) allows the carrier and the ammo can to move 1" left and not obscure any of the tail light.

81mmTailgate5_zpsaj07cili.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've pointed out side compartments on military Land Rovers, here's one on a private Land Rover, it's got a stove in it. This Land Rover is a custom camper conversion.

SideCompartmentStove.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a swing out tire carrier on the rear of my LR and like the Jeep shown with the ammo can affixed to the rear it does make the right tail light a bit more difficult to see, especially as a turn indicator. This makes the driver following me to hopefully maintain enough distance behind me to see the flashing light. Sometimes I wonder about that.
I have enjoyed the posts and they have also given me validation of ideas for my LR, many of them I had already incorporated before this post came up.
Might be a good idea for both of us to somehow have a light higher on the vehicle to compensate for the possible loss of sight of the light.
Thanks for sharing your ideas.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This thread should be a sticky ?
Thanks, I'm glad people are enjoying it and hopefully finding some of the ideas useful.

Don't know about a sticky, but I do know it will be at the top of the list for quite a while because I've got a lot more Land Rover ideas to post.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If you're thinking of converting your JKU, JLU or perhaps even LJ into a sleep-in camper, this product might provide some inspiration. https://ququq.info/ququq/d-box-english/. Wouldn't be too hard to DIY a Jeep version of this or develop a similar commercial product for Jeeps.

Ququq.jpg

Q_Web_BB1_Ani_A02.gif

Ququq1.jpg

Ququq2.jpg

Ququq3.jpg

Another product. A three minute conversion? I checked the web site of this one but the product doesn't seem to be there anymore.

KauaiCamper.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Many of the Land Rovers I've seen in the magazines have cargo boxes on the front of the rack that have sloped fronts to reduce air resistance, many of them just on a base without a rail like mine above. I've posted about them before in this thread.

RackPlatform.jpg

DiscoRoofBox.jpg

I might have to build one for my rack now...

ExtensionBoxConcept.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This post isn't a Land Rover idea, but as long as I had the rack on the Jeep I threw the roof top tent up there to see how much extra storage the extension provides when the tent is up there.

RTTStowed.jpg

In this next photo I've got a cargo box on the extension. If I turned the box around so that it opened from the rear, it could be accessed from within the tent.

RTTAnnex1.jpg

The shoe caddies are installed on the side of the tent base, I posted about them earlier in this thread and they're visible in the photo above.

The changing room is a DIY project I made from a set of canopy tent side walls I picked up at Walmart for $40.

I posted earlier in the thread about the Sand Ladder Ground Anchor project, FWIW here's a view of where I carry the sand ladders - I bolt them to the base of the main rack under the tent. They slide out the side of the rack when needed.

SandLadderStorage.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Also not a Land Rover idea but here's a view of the inside of the changing room - on the left I've got a folding shelf unit with closet bar; I picked this up at Walmart as well. It comes with hooks so it can hang inside a home closet but I adapted it to hang from the bottom of the tent platform. It stays in place when I fold up the tent, it folds automatically and fits nicely under the tent's travel cover.

ChangingRoomSetup.jpg

On the right, hanging from the hardtop drip rail is a "Camp Cabinet", which has a high quality glass mirror, a fold-out table and lots of storage for the necessities of one's morning routine.

CampCabinet1.jpg

The Camp Cabinet hangs from pretty much anywhere and closes up into an easily stored package, including the table.

NecessityBag.jpg

NecessityBag3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
And this also isn't a Land Rover idea, but FWIW here's how I single-handedly install/remove my RTT on the Jeep. It's too heavy for me to lift up there by myself, so I use two 10' 2x6s as a ramp. They have two screws in each end to ensure they don't slip off the rack. It doesn't take much effort to slide the RTT up the ramp and onto the roof. If I decide to pause mid-stream as in this photo, I used a pair of vise-grip pliers as a chock to hold the tent in place, they're visible in this photo below the left side of the tent.

OneManRTTInstall.jpg

OneManRTTInstall2.jpg

Very simple and very effective.

Jurfie

Adventurer
In this next photo I've got a cargo box on the extension. If I turned the box around so that it opened from the rear, it could be accessed from within the tent.

RTTAnnex1.jpg

Sew an extension onto your tent fly and use the box as a clothes storage!

shirk

This guy in Germany has done some great work on a JK. Nice use of commercial flight case materials to make side boxes in this video.

Custom Alucab pop top and camper interior is very Land Rover inspired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne