PaulJensen

Custom Builder
The barn door is so practical...

DSC02221.JPG

DSC02234.JPG

DSC02397.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I wish jeep would make one with an electric roll down window. like on the old station wagons
How about a "soft barn door"? It works the same as soft uppers for half doors, it's easy to install/remove and it's thin enough to store between the top of the roll bad and the underside of the hardtop roof when removed. There are two in these photos, the Spice (tan) one has a fixed soft window and the camo one has a soft window that rolls down (sorry, it's not electric :)).

SoftBarnDoorPrototype2a.jpg

It also works with a factory hardtop as you can see above.

On the left below the soft window zipper up, on the right it's rolled down and held in place with straps.

SoftBarnDoorDone6.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back to the ground anchor topic... here's another way a ground anchor could be made - when I'm on the trail I carry 4 aluminum sand ladders. They could be adapted to be ground anchor plates, which would eliminate having to carry a specific ground anchor plate - only the stakes and the bolt-on attachment point for the sand ladders would need to be carried. A quick concept sketch:

SandLadderGroundAnchor.jpg

I've already done a mod to the sand ladders so they can function as bridges, in this photo I'm testing them in a culvert...

BridgeLadders4_zps11hzdqqm.jpg

I added bolt-on channels to the underside for use when needed as bridges, when used as sand ladders the channels are removed:

BridgeLadders3_zpslaojrwpi.jpg

So why not adapt them for ground anchor use as well?

Hristo34

More on awnings from the Land Rover magazines - here's a simple one to implement, no sewing, just some straps, stakes and guy lines.

TarpCanopy.jpg

Another interesting design, this one requires a roof rack rail to mount to though:

Canopy2.jpg

I use a tarp set up off the back of my LJ very similar to that green Defender. It was inexpensive, takes up very little space in my gear, and can be put up in less than 5 minutes. I sleep inside my LJ so that is the extent of my set up. There are some interesting ideas in this thread, keep them coming!

Bobzdar

Observer
Back to the ground anchor topic... here's another way a ground anchor could be made - when I'm on the trail I carry 4 aluminum sand ladders. They could be adapted to be ground anchor plates, which would eliminate having to carry a specific ground anchor plate - only the stakes and the bolt-on attachment point for the sand ladders would need to be carried. A quick concept sketch:

SandLadderGroundAnchor.jpg

I've already done a mod to the sand ladders so they can function as bridges, in this photo I'm testing them in a culvert...

BridgeLadders4_zps11hzdqqm.jpg

I added bolt-on channels to the underside for use when needed as bridges, when used as sand ladders the channels are removed:

BridgeLadders3_zpslaojrwpi.jpg

So why not adapt them for ground anchor use as well?

This is a great idea - 3 uses in one. Definitely an idea I'd look at - could use both to spread the load in really difficult ground as well. You may have just convinced me to buy some sand ladders and some big ass tent spikes (which I need anyway). I'm also thinking in soupy stuff or snow you could actually pound the sand ladders into the ground vertically and use them as a winch anchor.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This could be useful in the wild for some people...

ToiletSeat_zpsjzk3eisd.jpg

It's about $45 but could be done a lot cheaper - stools like this are available for about fifteen bucks: https://www.target.com/p/coleman-rambler-ii-stool-brown/-/A-77432010 and it wouldn't take much to make a new fabric seat for it - could be done in two layers of fabric - a solid piece of fabric for when it's used as a normal stool, and the top fabric would fold back for use for more private purposes. A two layer fabric design would make the stool useful around the campsite with it's not being used for it's "holey" purpose and so would better justify the cargo space it takes up.

I drew it to show how it might work, it could be something like this:

ToiletSeatIdea_zps4ivor5hj.jpg

Could even be a simple product for some company, they could make just the replacement cloth that would fit most of this type of stool - recycle an old stool into a dual-purpose stool.

The text at on the at Target linked to above says "Roomy 15.5-in. cloth seat offers hours of comfort". Let's hope someone in the wild doesn't need it for that long :).

Bobs85Reny

How about a "soft barn door"? It works the same as soft uppers for half doors, it's easy to install/remove and it's thin enough to store between the top of the roll bad and the underside of the hardtop roof when removed. There are two in these photos, the Spice (tan) one has a fixed soft window and the camo one has a soft window that rolls down (sorry, it's not electric :)).

SoftBarnDoorPrototype2a.jpg

It also works with a factory hardtop as you can see above.

On the left below the soft window zipper up, on the right it's rolled down and held in place with straps.

SoftBarnDoorDone6.jpg
I like that idea. Does it work with a soft top. My wife hates the soft top because its such a pain to access the back of the jeep with the zip out window.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Jscherb - love the brainstorming and definitely approve of bringing some land rover ideas over to the jeep world.

RE: Canvas & the gladiator. I would like to hear your opinion on "connecting" the soft top over the cab with a "soft topper" style bed cap. Even if it was a simple canvas attachment you added while parked, it would allow you to remove the rear window of the cab's top, and remove or roll up the front window of the bed cover, creating a nice long open interior. I could see building a sleeping platform at the height of the bed rail and thus having the space for a normal size human to sleep "inside" the truck in a reasonably inexpensive way, with the added benefit of the cabin & its HVAC controls.

gladiatorcover.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles