Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another place jerry cans are often found on Land Rovers:

HardtopJerry1_zpswmbo11bc.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
And jerry cans are carried on swing-away carriers like they are here on Jeeps, although some of these examples I haven't seen on Jeeps.

BarnDoorJerry4_zpsepgvyhpb.jpg

BarnDoorJerry2_zpszidf72id.jpg

Never seen a jerry can at an angle like this before:

BarnDoorJerry3_zpsxh58jjkb.jpg

BarnDoorJerry1_zpsbql6rmkr.jpg

Lots more Land Rover ideas to come...

rnArmy

Adventurer
Here's an example on my TJ (carrier built by Dirtworx) that has a jerry can on the swing-away.

Now this is funny... I just googled "Dirtworx" to get a link for this post (after linking the pictures below), and what did I find? Pictures of my TJ on his site (linked above). That's cool (I'm famous!). But just so you know, I am in no way connected to Dirtworx (other than I bought one of his bumpers a few years ago). I'm not on the payroll, don't get a kick-back... nothing. If you look at the pictures on the link above, you'll see that before I painted the swing-away portion, I lowered the mount for the spare tire. The jerry can stays empty unless I'm Overlanding with the Jeep.

Attachments

• dirtworx.34.jpg
    dirtworx.34.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 82
  • dirtworx.41.jpg
    dirtworx.41.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 81
  • dirtworx.42.jpg
    dirtworx.42.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 79
  • dirtworx.44.jpg
    dirtworx.44.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 78

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back to the hardtop jerry can side mount subject... this is a commercial hardtop side mount for Land Rovers; it's got tracks for carrying a variety of gear:

GMBJerryCan1_zpsub7omvyb.jpg

GMBJerryCan2_zpsdehqibfj.jpg

Tracks like that aren't too expensive: https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Airline-Track-24-Aluminum-Finish-Logistic-Track_2 and it wouldn't be hard to them on the side of a Wrangler hardtop and make cargo accessories to hang on them - jerry cans, Rotopax, swing-down table, HiLift, cargo boxes, etc. Here's what a commercial jerry can holder for this track looks like: https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/gmb-jerry-can-holder

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another jerry can installation on the side, this time they're for water. Spare fuel is carried in two jerry cans on the roof rack.

SideMountJerry3_zps2rovl2zp.jpg

This one uses different mounts than the one in the previous post.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I like the maxtrax idea but I never really cared for carrying fuel or water so high up. Rebel off road sells inserts that install into the hardtop windows for carrying rotopax. I think it looks cool but I can't imagine carrying them there on a busy freeway where you might need to make a high speed evasive maneuver. Maybe on a low speed African expedition though.......

Yuke

Adventurer
Thats possible on the gazelle since its so much longer in length, it would not fit properly on a JKU hard top

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A $926 factory option for the new Defender is this cargo box that mounts on the hardtop:

NewDefenderSideBox1_zpskxau0wk9.jpg

NewDefenderSideBox2_zpsiw2atcry.jpg

DefenderWindowBox_zpsv5zpnyno.jpg

It's not an idea that's new with the new Defender, here and outside box on an older model:

SideWindowBox2_zpscfds459p.jpg

I wondered what something like that would look like on a Jeep, so here's a photo-edit putting the Land Rover factory box on a JKU:

DefenderWindowBox2_zpswhlznyuz.jpg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I'm loving all these "expedition Land Rover" photos, thanks very much!

I can't help but notice every single one so far has been a different way to carry more crap on your vehicle.

Mine is already a touch over GVWR. I don't need a way to carry any more, that's for sure!

-Dan
I agree, my Jeep needs Jennie Craig! I scaled 6300 On my last trip. I need to find ways to remove more stuff.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You guys made me check the numbers - a Land Rover Defender 110 has a GVW of 7055 lbs. The JK Unlimited GVW is 5700 lbs, a difference of 1355 lbs.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
You guys made me check the numbers - a Land Rover Defender 110 has a GVW of 7055 lbs. The JK Unlimited GVW is 5700 lbs, a difference of 1355 lbs.
My JKU weighed 5050 off of the showroom floor which left just enough load capacity for my family and our dog!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I realized I should have posted the curb weight as well as the GVW for both so we could see the cargo capacity.

JKU: Curb weight 3,879 to 4,921 lbs. (seems to average about 4500), GVW 5700, load capacity (average) 1200 lbs.

Defender: Curb weight about 4815-5165 lbs. (average about 5000), GVW 7055, load capacity (average) = 2055 lbs.

So it depends a lot on how your JKU is configured from the factory and how a Defender is configured, but average numbers suggest that an average Defender will have about 800 lbs. more load capacity than an average JKU.

Not 100% sure about all of those numbers, I found a number of sources listing different weights, but I think the average difference is probably a reasonable estimate.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Speaking of things mounted on the side of the hardtop... on some British military "Wolf" models, the spare is mounted on the side of the hardtop. Note also the cargo net wrapped around the hardtop.

WolfSpare_zpsfqu1zom8.jpg

A more common place to mount a spare on a Land Rover is on the bonnet. Also note the shovel on the fender:

DefenderHood_zps3ulori1c.jpg

SeriesHood3_zps5a6ifdv3.jpg

I've never seen that on a Jeep, so I did a few photo edits.

TJHoodSpare_zpshdwgtbay.jpg

Concepts1_zpsudzlbend.jpg

I thought about doing a custom hood with a spare mount a few years back and even started a thread on it but the reaction was very negative so I dropped the idea. The design would have been a reinforced hood with a recess in it like these Land Rover hoods:

SeriesAndDefenderHoods_zpslw3ikqan.jpg

BTW in British English, the bonnet is what we call the hood, and the hood is what we'd call a soft top. Just in case you were confused. A soft top is also sometimes called a "tilt" in the UK.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles