Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Earlier in this thread I posted this item:

I've been thinking maybe an auxiliary panel like that custom-fit to the Wrangler dash might be useful, so I did a quick concept design and printed it on cardstock. There are a few places on the dash it could be fitted, in this photo it's at the top of the LJ's center stack:

Being there it gets in the way of the dash-top tray, so in this photo it's moved in front of the tray:

But in front of the tray it gets in the way of the defroster vent, so in this photo it's on top of the instrument panel:

The same three positions in the JKU. The top of the center stack is a little narrower in the JK so it looks slightly wide here:

But in the JK it doesn't interfere with the defroster vent when placed in front of the tray:

In the JK the instrument panel is lower relative to the steering wheel so to make the switches visible there I had to tilt the steering wheel down a bit, since I'm tall I normally have the wheel tilted all the way up.

It's just a cardstock idea for the moment, but if I decide on a good place for such a panel maybe I'll make a mold and do a few prototypes to try out. Suggestions and criticisms welcome, you can help me decide if I take this idea any further.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Not sure how much space is available inside. But, what about the center windshield trim, above the mirror on the LJ?
Could put it there, this cardstock mockup might be a little wide but it's just a printout so it can be made the right size. I think running all wires up there for whatever switches and gauges might be there could be a problem?

For me that location wouldn't work because that's where my GPS lives:

Zeep

Adventurer
I thought I remembered you having something up there. Your threads are getting so long, it's hard to remember what is in what! I've never had my trim off, so I don't know what kind of real estate exists behind the panel. Always thought it would be a good place to mount something along the lines of your panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnuinn22