Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

krick3tt

Adventurer
The idea of carrying two spares is often (for extended trips far from available tires) a good idea but many are concerned with the additional weight. Carrying just the tire without the weight of the rim might help to solve that problem or possibly create new ones. On the roof rack the tire can also be used as storage place for items that can be exposed without them being impacted by weather.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another dual spare carrier, this time on a Discovery that probably is traveling far from the nearest place to get a tire fixed.

DualSpareDisco.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Roof Tent Storm Cover

I had never seen these in the U.S. and wasn't aware that they existed until I saw them in a Land Rover magazine.

RoofTentStormCover_zpsjjatrvpe.jpg

They come in several sizes for different tents, although the web site doesn't say how you'd know which one would work on your tent: https://tuff-trek.com/product/tuff-trek-soft-top-tent-storm-covers

Seems like a good idea to keep from having to fold the tent up when it's wet, but some testing would be required to see if it really is a good idea. What if it's pouring when its time to fold up the tent? If you pull off the cover the tent gets wet while you're folding the tent. And would it be stuffing inside when the cover was on?

I did some searching and a similar product is available over here - this isn't exactly the same, it seems to be more of an extreme weather/cold cover rather than specifically for rain. It seems they only come in one size: https://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/tuff-stuff-r-overland-roof-top-tent-xtreme-weather-covers

jscherb

Expedition Leader
More RTT stuff...

I haven't seen this over here but I'm guessing it must exist - a changing room for a clamshell-style roof top tent.

ClamshellChangingRoom.jpg

Seems like this could also be useful for an Ursa Minor. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to make one for that application. Here's a quick photo-edit:

UrsaMinorChangingRoom.jpg

Jurfie

Adventurer
Roof Tent Storm Cover

I had never seen these in the U.S. and wasn't aware that they existed until I saw them in a Land Rover magazine.

RoofTentStormCover_zpsjjatrvpe.jpg

They come in several sizes for different tents, although the web site doesn't say how you'd know which one would work on your tent: https://tuff-trek.com/product/tuff-trek-soft-top-tent-storm-covers

Seems like a good idea to keep from having to fold the tent up when it's wet, but some testing would be required to see if it really is a good idea. What if it's pouring when its time to fold up the tent? If you pull off the cover the tent gets wet while you're folding the tent. And would it be stuffing inside when the cover was on?

I did some searching and a similar product is available over here - this isn't exactly the same, it seems to be more of an extreme weather/cold cover rather than specifically for rain. It seems they only come in one size: https://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/tuff-stuff-r-overland-roof-top-tent-xtreme-weather-covers

Neat idea! I had always thought it would be interesting to make a roof top tent that was more like a lightweight ground tent and utilized a rainfly similar to the above. It would be ultra compact using poles and bungies as support...but then I thought "so use one of those existing platform racks and pitch a tent up there instead of the ground".

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Neat idea! I had always thought it would be interesting to make a roof top tent that was more like a lightweight ground tent and utilized a rainfly similar to the above. It would be ultra compact using poles and bungies as support...but then I thought "so use one of those existing platform racks and pitch a tent up there instead of the ground".
I've often thought about using a ground tent as a roof top tent. I posted some of these concepts as early as 2013 when I was designing the fiberglass Jeep-tub and military replica trailers. It would be very easy to put a plywood platform on a roof rack, and add some tie-down points for a ground tent.

A few of those concepts...

TentPlatformFront.jpg

GroundTentSetUp.jpg

TentPlatform1.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
A tent-cot can also be repurposed into an RTT. Figure on average, a small lightweight RTT weighs in at just over 100lbs, and they go up in weight from there. This Cabela's Double Sized tent-cot weighs about 50lbs (weighs less once I removed the outer legs after mounting it on my trailer). I've spent many a night in this thing. It goes up and comes down fairly quickly. It is pretty much just a place to sleep and nothing more.

How do I get in-and-out of my tent-cot? In the third and forth pictures below with the tent opened, you'll see an aluminum drop-down step by the ammo can in front of the cooler on the trailer (in the second picture you can see the step in the folded-up position). Step on the step, step up on the cooler, then get into the tent. Reverse the procedure to get out and onto the ground.

As the name implies, the floor of the tent is fabric (that's where the "cot" portion of the name "tent-cot" comes in).

This particular tent-cot from Cabela's runs around $350 (the young lady is not included). I had an upholstery place make the cover for it (the one that came with it can't be used when the tent-cot is mounted with the legs down) for a couple hundred dollars (top-notch work though). Other companies make tent-cots - just google "tent-cots".

Here's another one: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/kamp-rite-double-tent-cot?a=2220482

Cabela's Tent Cot.PNGOverland Adventure.1 (2).jpgOverland Adventure.7.jpgOverland Adventure.6.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jerry Can Cover

From South Africa, I found this in one of the Land Rover magazines:

JerryCanCover2_zps8braqbeu.jpg

I did a little research and discovered that jerry can covers were apparently military issue:

JerryCanCover1_zpsqpzsfvpd.jpg

When I saw this it started me thinking about the "Rotopax bulge", I posted this photo earlier in the thread:

RotopaxBulge.jpg

Rotopax are very susceptible to bulging like that due to fuel expanding in the heat; their instructions say that the containers should be regularly vented manually and they won't warranty containers that fail if they have not been vented. Thinking about that problem, I designed an insulated cover for Rotopax containers:

InsulPaxConcept_zpsx9tsvjsn.jpg

After doing the design drawing it seemed like a good idea so I sewed one:

InsulPaxPrototype1_zpsmfg2rzdc.jpg

It has a PALS grid so MOLLE and Grab & Go stuff can be attached:

InsulPaxPrototype1c_zpsr9wmvw2j.jpg

I also sewed a matching gear bag to attach to it:

RecoveryBag1a_zpsyn87sats.jpg

RotoJerry5_zps3yygihqq.jpg

That photo in a Land Rover magazine started this project.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I don't see too many people carrying two spares in the U.S., so this might not be a popular or useful accessory here:

DualSpare.jpg

Of all the international overlanders I've bumped into around the world, I'd say a small percentage carry two spares.

I genuinely think it's a holdover from the 80s and 90s when tires weren't nearly as tough as they are now and failures were more common.

It's extremely rare to destroy a tire these days, especially if you don't overload.

-Dan

Vinman

Observer
Of all the international overlanders I've bumped into around the world, I'd say a small percentage carry two spares.

I genuinely think it's a holdover from the 80s and 90s when tires weren't nearly as tough as they are now and failures were more common.

It's extremely rare to destroy a tire these days, especially if you don't overload.

-Dan
I’ve been offroading for over 20 years and have only had 2 tire failures, which happened on a trail within 20 minutes of each other. Ironically, it happened to the only “E” rated tires I ever ran on any of my Jeeps (I usually run “C“ rated tires).
I can’t even remember the last on-road tire failure I’ve had, it must be at least 3 decades ago.

Trav75

I’ve been offroading for over 20 years and have only had 2 tire failures, which happened on a trail within 20 minutes of each other. Ironically, it happened to the only “E” rated tires I ever ran on any of my Jeeps (I usually run “C“ rated tires).
I can’t even remember the last on-road tire failure I’ve had, it must be at least 3 decades ago.
The only tire issues I ever had on an extended trip was 20 years ago when I had TWO simultaneous flats in a fairly remote a spot in Gila National Forest. I was overloaded and driving too fast on a gravel road and got both rear Dayton A/T’s, one small tread tear and the other was a rip in the sidewall. Had one spare and a can of fix a flat. Limped 20 miles to a ranch at 10mph where a kind rancher mounted me a worn out tire. I still only carry one spare but now drive more sensibly.
Great thread here!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Been there, done that, part 6...

Death Valley

A few years back Land Rover Owner did an article about Death Valley:

DeathValley1.jpg

As with most of their articles, they published a map. It appears they only did two trails which is too bad, there's so much more to see.

DeathValley3.jpg

I've done trails and camped in Death Valley several times and it's always a fun adventure. I usually enter Death Valley the same way they did in the article - through Titus Canyon from Nevada.

DeathValley2.jpg

It's a good place to enter because the trail to Titus Canyon starts just west of the Beatty, Nevada, which is a good place to gas up, get provisions, eat and perhaps visit the military surplus place in town (I picked up a few ammo cans there on one trip).

BeattyAmmo1_zpskxirewef.jpg

Also just west of Beatty is the ghost town of Rhyolite, Nevada. It's on the way to the Titus Canyon trail and well worth a look.

Their photo above doesn't really do Titus Canyon justice, here's a photo I took:

Titus3_zps7exli22h.jpg

The Mesquite Dunes are a fun diversion, they're just east of Stovepipe Wells. You can't drive on them but if you've never climbed big dunes before it's worth a stop.

MesquiteDunes3_zpsa97o0ps1.jpg

One one trip we camped in the wild in Cottonwood Canyon, miles from the nearest paved road.

CampSetup1_zps0kxaxhfr.jpg

There are a number of ghost towns in the area, on one trip we visited Skiddoo. There are some interesting ruins there.

Skidoo3_zpswomwtpte.jpg

Every trip to Death Valley has to include a stop at Badwater Basin, which is the lowest point in North America at 282 feet below sea level.

DeathValley4.jpg

What my GPS was showing there:

BadwaterElev_zps9qzv5wkw.jpg

Another interesting place to visit is the Chloride City ghost town, also not far from Beatty. From there you can get a great view of the entire valley all the way down to Badwater Basin. I visited there on another trip:

ChlorideCliffs1_zpsgpp5fgrx.jpg

On the way down from the overlook:

ChlorideCliffs4_zpszpvps38c.jpg

Their article doesn't really do justice to the sights of Death Valley, nor do the few photos of mine above. Well worth an expedition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior