Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Is there a problem with some of the pictures or is it just on my end
All of the photos are showing up for me right now, and all were showing each time I posted. Photobucket has been having some trouble hosting photos over the past two months, so it could be that, although occasionally when PB photos aren't showing up if I clear my cache and restart the browser they sometimes show up again.

Bobs85Reny

I thought about that. If you look at the bottom half of the cap its in 2 sections rear bed and front cab.
That could be fit together with a u channel with a rubber weather stripping for flex between front and rear cab. this would also seal and allow water runoff
The top would be supported from the bed as one piece to reach to the front with a flexible rubber seal.
See attached. Do you think something like that would work?
top1.png

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I thought about that. If you look at the bottom half of the cap its in 2 sections rear bed and front cab.
That could be fit together with a u channel with a rubber weather stripping for flex between front and rear cab. this would also seal and allow water runoff
The top would be supported from the bed as one piece to reach to the front with a flexible rubber seal.
See attached. Do you think something like that would work?
View attachment 606895
I would start by searching for similar solutions - are there any pop-tops or caps for pickups that cover both the bed and the cab? If there are any then examining how those are designed would be a good place to start. Maybe if you start a separate thread on it you'll get people with some experience to chime in.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back to Land Rover ideas...I think this roof box is a nice idea. When I've got the roof top tent on my Jeep on the Garvin Rack, there's extra space on the rack for other gear. A "streamlined" storage box like this could be useful:

RoofBox_zps4lpchj9s.jpg

Another one:

RoofBox2_zps0qowj6g8.jpg

This one is on an AluCab pop-top. I wonder if this would appeal to Ursa Minor owners?

RoofBox3_zpsucipikeu.jpg

I did a design for a box like these, printed it on cardstock in 1.5" to the foot scale and assembled it:

RackBoxScaleModel_zpsamdnb9sn.jpg

This wouldn't be hard to turn into a production product.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Conversely- and I may well be wrong- I dont think LR's do storage off the tailgate/spare/rear bumper much?
I've got some examples of tailgate storage on the Defender that I'll post later in the thread. There are many of the same things we do here, plus some new ideas - I'll focus on posting the new ideas.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It's pretty common for jerry cans to be carried on the side of the hardtop on a Defender...

SideMountJerry_zpso8vcxtby.jpg

SideMountJerry2_zpso9hvexhs.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen jerry cans mounted on the side of a Jeep hardtop, has anyone? Any opinions on whether it might be bad or good?

On the other side of one of the Defender above:

SideSandLadder_zpsykc0pvn9.jpg

Looking at the trail in the photo above, they may be needing those sand ladders soon.

Not sure if this is the mount they're using, but the mount in the next photo hinges to form a table:

SandLadderBrackets_zpswcyqdgts.jpg

I almost never see anything mounted on the side of a hardtop on a U.S. Jeep.

ratled

Adventurer
The look of the 110 is "it" for me for the idea of an overland vehicle. Thanks for for all the pictures.
On a side note, there are several Jeepers who carry Roto Pacs on the sides. Not a jerry can but along the same lines
Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 12.46.53 PM.png

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The look of the 110 is "it" for me for the idea of an overland vehicle. Thanks for for all the pictures.
On a side note, there are several Jeepers who carry Roto Pacs on the sides. Not a jerry can but along the same lines
View attachment 607045
I don't recall ever seeing any Rotopax in the UK Land Rover magazines. I guess Rotopax is a North American thing, everyone outside of the US seems to use jerry/NATO cans. Looks like the Rotopax on that photo is mounted to brackets that go between the roof rack and the tub, I haven't seen that before.

As for the photos, glad you're enjoying them. I'm just getting started, I've got dozens more Land Rover idea photos to post. Stay tuned.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
As for this over the windshield storage, just where/how do you expect to support it? Also, The Jeep hood isn't designed to stand on.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
As for this over the windshield storage, just where/how do you expect to support it? Also, The Jeep hood isn't designed to stand on.
It's definitely a solvable engineering problem. Depending on how big the rack is and whether it's an extension of a roof rack or not, some of the mounting options used on Land Rovers could be adapted to the Wrangler. An adaptation similar to some of the light bar mounts currently on the market could also be used - I did this quick photo-edit to show how this type of mount could be used. It's basically the same as a light bar mount except I added two bolts at the top of the mount to tie the mount to the top of the windshield. A mount like this wouldn't put unmanageable leverage on the windshield because the force would be handled by the roll bar attachment at the back of the windshield.

WranglerOverTheWindshield1_zps993z0cy2.jpg

Wrangler hoods definitely cannot support a person standing on it but if you're bringing that up in the context of accessing gear on an over-the-windshield rack, I'd probably do door hinge steps like these folding ones:

BlackSteps_zpsc1uay0gb.jpg

Steps like that can definitely get a person high enough to reach the rack, and the ones pictured above can be installed on the front door hinges for access to an over-the-windshield rack. In this next photo the step is on the rear door hinge but it works on the front door hinges as well.

FlipFlops_zpsv1zpaen1.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
It's pretty common for jerry cans to be carried on the side of the hardtop on a Defender...

SideMountJerry_zpso8vcxtby.jpg

SideMountJerry2_zpso9hvexhs.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen jerry cans mounted on the side of a Jeep hardtop, has anyone? Any opinions on whether it might be bad or good?

On the other side of one of the Defender above:

SideSandLadder_zpsykc0pvn9.jpg

Looking at the trail in the photo above, they may be needing those sand ladders soon.

Not sure if this is the mount they're using, but the mount in the next photo hinges to form a table:

SandLadderBrackets_zpswcyqdgts.jpg

I almost never see anything mounted on the side of a hardtop on a U.S. Jeep.

The Jeep hardtop is fiberglass with a bonded window. The length of the top from the edge of the back door to the rear is less than a meter. My traction mats are longer than that. The drip rail is also fiberglass and is not a recommended attachment point, especially for roof racks. The removable Freedom Tops limit roof rack length unless tied into the windshield frame, which then precludes folding the windshield (easier said than done on the JK). I can and have 12gal. of gas between the spare and the back of the Jeep using space not needed for anything else. Why attach them to the sides of the top? It presents no advantage.

ratled

Adventurer
@ Kmrtnsn .... so the rear machine gunner can refuel on the go!
sorry just saw this picture on a totally unrelated blog and thought of this thread ?
IMG_3241.jpeg

rnArmy

Adventurer
Too cool; keep the ideas coming. I used to find a very good off-road magazine from Australia at a particular bookstore, but either I moved (Army) or they stopped carrying it. They had some pretty cool articles; I should have subscribed to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles