Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I lived in London about 15 years ago I got in the habit of reading Land Rover magazines - Land Rover Owner and Land Rover Monthly. I've kept up the subscriptions since then because every issue has something interesting that can apply to Jeeps.

LRMagazines_zpsls4bebkt.jpg

Both magazines regularly feature overlanding trips and even though they're UK magazines the expeditions are often in the US - not too long ago LRO ran an 8-part series on driving the Continental Divide from Canada to Panama - even just the US portion of the journey would be a great overlanding trip to do some day. A page from part 7:

Divide7Page_zpsl0upxa5w.jpg

They did an article a few years back on exploring the Himalayas in Nepal, that one was good background for a road trip I did through Nepal last fall.

A lot of the "kit" (British for "gear") that's commonly found on Land Rovers around the world is never implemented for Jeeps here and I don't know why - many of the ideas seem practical and useful. I've been saving images from the magazines in my "idea file" for years and in this thread I'll post photos from the magazines of many things that I think could be useful in the Jeep world - I've got several dozen ideas to post. Most of these ideas pertain to overlanding/camping because the Land Rover is used far more for that than for rock crawling, although there probably will be some ideas in this thread that will appeal to rock crawlers as well. As I post things, let me know if you think they're dumb ideas that wouldn't work in the Jeep world or if you think they're worth prototyping on a Wrangler. For some of these ideas I've already implemented Jeep versions and I'll probably design Jeep versions of more of these ideas so if you post your thoughts you can help me decide what makes sense.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'll start with roof racks - Land Rover people seem to be much more serious about roof racks than we are here. Like this one, which extends out past the windshield.

OverlandDefenderRack_zpscmrkprwz.jpg

I've never seen a roof rack on a Jeep that extends past the windshield. Why is that? Seems like the extra space could be very useful, especially when you've got a roof top tent on the rack. With a tent it could provide space for extra gear, and with the gear removed it could be a nice "upper deck" for sitting.

LongRoofRack_zpszmzzud8g.jpg

A short extension can be useful on a short 2-door...

LongRoofRack3_zpsz7nndh92.jpg

I did a photo-edit of an extended rack on a TJ:

ExtendedRackTJ_zpszh814cwp.jpg

Here's an interesting rack which extends out over the windshield. A roof rack could be installed along with this; the front rack wouldn't interfere with a roof rack.

WindshieldRack_zps6x1c75sl.jpg

Here's another one. This is on a Dormobile Camper, the roof hinges at the side and opens into a sleeper tent so there's no place for a roof rack on this one; the windshield rack is the only way to really add cargo up top on a Dormobile. This could be good to go with an Ursa Minor pop-top.

WindshieldRack2_zpsygrwh1eg.jpg

I've never seen a rack like that on a Jeep, unless you count this Mahindra Major. I spotted this one near the Ranthambore National Park tiger reserve in Rajasthan, India. This one's in rural taxi service, and typically will be packed over capacity inside with passengers so luggage goes on the roof rack and the windshield rack.

Major1_zpszjvf4ku1.jpg

I've seen photos of a quite few of these "over windshield" racks in the Land Rover magazines but I've never seen anything like it on a U.S. Jeep - any thoughts about adapting some of these ideas on a Jeep?

ratled

Adventurer
I think it's a good general idea, as always for you, but the one concern I would have is Jeep folks already over weight their rigs. Given even more places to put more kit I can see people even more stuff there. Of course us Jeepers like to bring too stuff any way. Still, a worthy consideration, especially if you had a J30

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think it's a good general idea, as always for you, but the one concern I would have is Jeep folks already over weight their rigs. Given even more places to put more kit I can see people even more stuff there. Of course us Jeepers like to bring too stuff any way. Still, a worthy consideration, especially if you had a J30
I'm trying to figure out what this all means...

a. that overseas Land Rover people have more discipline about what they bring on expeditions and we here in the U.S. have?

b. that Defenders are more stable than Jeeps and can carry more on the roof?

I know it's not because Defenders aren't used on difficult trails; the Land Rover magazines have plenty of photos roof rack equipped Defenders in much worse situations than I've ever driven my Jeep in.

ratled

Adventurer

a. that overseas Land Rover people have more discipline about what they bring on expeditions and we here in the U.S. have?

I know it's not because Defenders aren't used on difficult trails; the Land Rover magazines have plenty of photos roof rack equipped Defenders in much worse situations than I've ever driven my Jeep in.
Not a dig to the LR. With a Jeep JKU GVW at about 5600lbs I see more than a few over 6000 lbs and some folks state over 7000 lbs. Having more room my concern is some folks would equate more space with ability to carry more... and more adds up the weight fast. And lets face it, a lot of Jeepers carry more crap than we actually need

That was it

Carson G

Land Rovers always have better payload than jeeps. Like almost as much as some 3/4 ton trucks. The New Defender for example has almost 2,000lbs of payload. It can also have 330lbs of tongue weight for a trailer without touching the payload capacity. They generally handle better as well.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I have always loved the doormobiles and considered building my CJ8 into a camper once due to the US Land Rover scarcity. I do not have the mad fab skills like JScherb though so that plan didn't go anywhere. Fast forward a few years and I now have a JKU with a J30. It's the closest modern equivalent IMO and my favorite Jeep ever (I've had almost every utility model)!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have always loved the doormobiles and considered building my CJ8 into a camper once due to the US Land Rover scarcity. I do not have the mad fab skills like JScherb though so that plan didn't go anywhere. Fast forward a few years and I now have a JKU with a J30. It's the closest modern equivalent IMO and my favorite Jeep ever (I've had almost every utility model)!
There's a lot of coverage of Dormobiles in the magazines.

Dormobile1_zpsis3cxsyt.jpg

Dormobile2_zpsl9ssbizv.jpg

Dormobile3_zpsavhlhoyj.jpg

I've always thought the removable roofs on my JK and LJ Safari Cab hardtops could be turned into a respectable Dormobile-style camper. Maybe someday.

Bobs85Reny

Jeff I have followed your builds for years and I always love what you come up with. One day I hope to get a Gladiator. I went to buy one back in January but at the time they were way overpriced so I ended up with a 2016 JKU Sahara instead. However one day I still will eventually get one maybe in 3 or 4 years when prices of used ones are more reasonable. I did some design work to what I think would be the for me the ultimate camper that were inspired by your work. This is what I came up with which fits this thread. I want something with a full rack like what you would see on a defender to carry my kayaks and my paddle boards or use it as a platform for gear. I also would want it to be able to have the roof raise into a full camper. basically turning the gladiator into something similar to the defender.
gladrack_FullRackCamperb.gifgladrack_FullRackCamperc.gif

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff I have followed your builds for years and I always love what you come up with. One day I hope to get a Gladiator. I went to buy one back in January but at the time they were way overpriced so I ended up with a 2016 JKU Sahara instead. However one day I still will eventually get one maybe in 3 or 4 years when prices of used ones are more reasonable. I did some design work to what I think would be the for me the ultimate camper that were inspired by your work. This is what I came up with which fits this thread. I want something with a full rack like what you would see on a defender to carry my kayaks and my paddle boards or use it as a platform for gear. I also would want it to be able to have the roof raise into a full camper. basically turning the gladiator into something similar to the defender.
View attachment 606859View attachment 606860
Hi Bob,
One thing you'll have to consider in your design is the independent movement of the cab and bed - as the frame flexes the bed and cab can move in opposite directions. The pop-top will have to accomodate that movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarCaveUSA