Land Rover discovery

Redman333

Adventurer
I was wanting a decent daily driver and overland rig. I figure if I can get a good reliable vehicle then it should be a good overland vehicle as well.

I'm looking at the Land Rover discovery series 2 I believe. From 98 to 02 I think they made them.

With a budget of $5000 am I asking for trouble with this. It won't be my only vehicle but I do plan on driving it back and forth to work(only 4 miles one way). I want to be able to explore some with it. I won't really be going too far though mainly inside my state.

I have seen them from $3000 to $5000 for some decent looking ones. Is there anything I should know or be looking at or should I pass all together. I come from the jeep world so this will be a bit new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

film842

Observer
I was wanting a decent daily driver and overland rig. I figure if I can get a good reliable vehicle then it should be a good overland vehicle as well.

I'm looking at the Land Rover discovery series 2 I believe. From 98 to 02 I think they made them.

With a budget of $5000 am I asking for trouble with this. It won't be my only vehicle but I do plan on driving it back and forth to work(only 4 miles one way). I want to be able to explore some with it. I won't really be going too far though mainly inside my state.

I have seen them from $3000 to $5000 for some decent looking ones. Is there anything I should know or be looking at or should I pass all together. I come from the jeep world so this will be a bit new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm driving an '02 discovery with 146k and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. On the other hand I bought it 12 years ago with 35k and have maintained it myself since so I know what's going on with it.

My advice is to have a competent knowledgeable mechanic give the vehicle a good look over because what you want is a well maintained vehicle that some amateur(s) has not been hacking away at. These engines are great if maintained but heat is a problem, so you want to know if the head gaskets have been replaced yet. Many owners will get an Ultragauge to plug in to give them more accurate temperatures than the dash gauge.

Also, be aware that some years don't have either the center differential lock or the hardware for an easy hookup...mine does not for instance.

And before I bought, I would test drive the wheels off of it to see what happens. It really is all about finding a well maintained vehicle. Spend some time researching the technical sections of the land rover forums and you can learn what to look out for. Just don't get scared away by what seems like a bunch of horror stories. Good luck...they're worth it.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Really the best thing you can do is look around at what the local rover shops are offering. My local shop does head gaskets on ALL D2s and some other misc maintenance items that are needed to every D2 they sell. Yes they are more expensive than what is out on the open market but you get a much better truck.

Redman333

Adventurer
Really the best thing you can do is look around at what the local rover shops are offering. My local shop does head gaskets on ALL D2s and some other misc maintenance items that are needed to every D2 they sell. Yes they are more expensive than what is out on the open market but you get a much better truck.

I'm going to look at a couple today after work at the local Land Rover shop.

roverandom

Adventurer
Unless you need the extra room of the DII a DI is easier/cheaper to modify and a better bet long term. You will be able to buy a nicer unit for your $5000 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redman333

Adventurer
Unless you need the extra room of the DII a DI is easier/cheaper to modify and a better bet long term. You will be able to buy a nicer unit for your $5000 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I somewhat do want the room. I want to take this on trips and space is usually limited for me. I need the vehicle to go to places with no electricity, drinkable water, or any other amenity. So I'll have to bring everything with me.

What's the major difference between the D1 and D2 anyway?

psykokid

Explorer
I somewhat do want the room. I want to take this on trips and space is usually limited for me. I need the vehicle to go to places with no electricity, drinkable water, or any other amenity. So I'll have to bring everything with me.

What's the major difference between the D1 and D2 anyway?

Tons.. Same basic engine but different engine management. Same basic trans, but with more electronics. Open knuckles with booted CV's on the D2 vs Swivel Balls and Oil bath CV's. Watts linkage on the rear axle VS a-frame used on every other Defender/RRC/D1. Semi floating rear hubs vs Full floating rear hubs on the earlier trucks. Lack of CDL in transfer case from 2001-2003. The list goes on and on. When they did the d2 they changed 80% of the car, they look similar to D1's but lots of differences under the skin..

Colin Hughes

Explorer
The D1 was the girl that brought me to the Land Rover dance so to speak. The first one I had for about 8 years and loved it, putting 350,000 kms on it. The D2 is likely the least favorite of all the Rovers I've owned. Can't really say why. Just never felt right. The D2 will give you more interior room/length but I never found I was lacking any in the D1.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I would stick with the DI if I was you. It is a bit smaller, but they are much more reliable and simpler. I might still be in a LR if it weren't for me buying a Disco II. The DII needs constant looking after. Every system on the thing has some fatal flaw that is difficult to overcome. They are great cars, don't get me wrong, but reliable they are not. Mine never left me stranded, but it was always on the fritz and I never trusted it to take into the backcountry. Kind of defeats the purpose of an overland truck if you ask me.

Redman333

Adventurer
Tons.. Same basic engine but different engine management. Same basic trans, but with more electronics. Open knuckles with booted CV's on the D2 vs Swivel Balls and Oil bath CV's. Watts linkage on the rear axle VS a-frame used on every other Defender/RRC/D1. Semi floating rear hubs vs Full floating rear hubs on the earlier trucks. Lack of CDL in transfer case from 2001-2003. The list goes on and on. When they did the d2 they changed 80% of the car, they look similar to D1's but lots of differences under the skin..

I think I followed about half of that. Don't know if it's that I just don't know what you're talking about or the terminology used lol. Basically you're saying the D1 is a more robust setup if I'm understanding you correctly.

I did look at some D1's and honestly didn't really care for them. Part of the reason I want the D2 is for the luxury items. I'll be driving this in the winter and back and forth to work most of the time and then using it to go camping and mild off roaring. I'm a mechanic by trade so tinkering on things don't really bother too much. The space is one of my favorite things about this vehicle. Along with solid axles the availability of huge roof racks for more storage, and the locking center diff. I have looked at other vehicles this size like the Lexus LX and the land cruiser(same thing) and the Isuzu trooper. The trooper was hard to find in fully loaded trim and the parts list is fairly small. The Lexus and Toyota are too expensive. These to me seemed to fit the bill pretty well. I may regret it later but it's not my only vehicle so if something happens I can leave it sit for awhile while I repair it.

I am going to look at an 04 that's loaded this weekend and may bring it home for $5k. It's got 101k miles and is extremely clean. At least in the pics. I'll see when I get there though.

XJLI

Adventurer
I think I followed about half of that. Don't know if it's that I just don't know what you're talking about or the terminology used lol. Basically you're saying the D1 is a more robust setup if I'm understanding you correctly.

I did look at some D1's and honestly didn't really care for them. Part of the reason I want the D2 is for the luxury items. I'll be driving this in the winter and back and forth to work most of the time and then using it to go camping and mild off roaring. I'm a mechanic by trade so tinkering on things don't really bother too much. The space is one of my favorite things about this vehicle. Along with solid axles the availability of huge roof racks for more storage, and the locking center diff. I have looked at other vehicles this size like the Lexus LX and the land cruiser(same thing) and the Isuzu trooper. The trooper was hard to find in fully loaded trim and the parts list is fairly small. The Lexus and Toyota are too expensive. These to me seemed to fit the bill pretty well. I may regret it later but it's not my only vehicle so if something happens I can leave it sit for awhile while I repair it.

I am going to look at an 04 that's loaded this weekend and may bring it home for $5k. It's got 101k miles and is extremely clean. At least in the pics. I'll see when I get there though.

You're a mechanic and you don't understand thing like open vs closed knuckle or semi vs full float? If you are a more "old school" mechanic per say (it doesn't seem you are? Idk, don't want to assume anything), the D1 is WAY easy. Less computers controlling everything, more mechanical stuff. My 95 is just as easy to work on as my XJ was (easier in some places, theres a LOT more room under this truck). The older ones are built on essentially the same chassis as the Range Rover Classic and Defenders, so yes they are more "robust" per say. What other luxury do you need in the DII vs the DI? The only thing I don't have is heated seats, which is an easy addition to any vehicle.

Have fun with the 04, I'm sure the heads are just about ready to crack :sombrero:

Redman333

Adventurer
You're a mechanic and you don't understand thing like open vs closed knuckle or semi vs full float? If you are a more "old school" mechanic per say (it doesn't seem you are? Idk, don't want to assume anything), the D1 is WAY easy. Less computers controlling everything, more mechanical stuff. My 95 is just as easy to work on as my XJ was (easier in some places, theres a LOT more room under this truck). The older ones are built on essentially the same chassis as the Range Rover Classic and Defenders, so yes they are more "robust" per say. What other luxury do you need in the DII vs the DI? The only thing I don't have is heated seats, which is an easy addition to any vehicle.

Have fun with the 04, I'm sure the heads are just about ready to crack :sombrero:

I understood those. The watts linkage and cdl in the transfer case. Not sure about those. Can't tell if you're being sarcastic about enjoying it or not. Do the heads crack around 100k? The D1s that I have looked at had no luxury at all. Just the basics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles