Land cruiser straight 6 vs V8?

Clutch

<---Pass
Working on it as we speak, with an LS3 Connect & Cruise

Did I mention I am bias? :)

oooh, nice!

I agree about trucks being overloaded. "Overlanding" has become the rage and there are plenty of "Outfitters" out there looking to sell you every widget known to man.

I am surprised zimmer is admitting that he owns the "Overland Starter Kit" for how much he makes fun of everyone else for having theirs, and by the sound of things he doesn't go much further than the limits of PA and wheels instead, I dunno... me thinks he should sell it all, by a 'Murican made pickup, a quad, and some Mossy Oak outfits....:elkgrin:

NCFJ

Adventurer
LOL too funny.

I personally don't care what a person does with their truck. It's their truck, if they are having fun with what they are doing, cool. Everyone and their brother is on the diesel craze, so far I've not been bitten. I get all the reasoning and agree with most of it, for me a diesel is something that works for a living in a tow rig etc.

Our rig is my wife's 95 80 series, stock with a 2 inch lift, sliders, front bumper and winch, interior spare mount. That's it. Oh yeah, removed 2nd and 3rd row seats. Does everything we need it to and when the trans or motor goes south I'll swap it with a 5.3L/4L65E and a split case from a 60 series.

Clutch

<---Pass
LOL too funny.

:D

I personally don't care what a person does with their truck.

Me neither, I like looking at all the cool rigs...and always say to myself "one day" I want to do that....then the voice of reason says to me, no...no...you don't, that looks painful and miserable, both to wallet and knuckles.... Just stick to a bone stock truck, no need to reinvent the wheel for the sake of being cool.

It's their truck, if they are having fun with what they are doing, cool. Everyone and their brother is on the diesel craze, so far I've not been bitten. I get all the reasoning and agree with most of it, for me a diesel is something that works for a living in a tow rig etc.
I have looked and looked at diesels, but the numbers don't make sense on my calculator.

Our rig is my wife's 95 80 series, stock with a 2 inch lift, sliders, front bumper and winch, interior spare mount. That's it. Oh yeah, removed 2nd and 3rd row seats. Does everything we need it to and when the trans or motor goes south I'll swap it with a 5.3L/4L65E and a split case from a 60 series.

I have been nursing a '99 Tacoma for the past 15 years, getting ready to roll 360K miles, when the engine goes, will just drop in a low mile JDM, all this engine swap stuff is cool and all...but see above^^^...that and it is being demoted to townie dump run truck, when I buy a brandy new one next year, base model whatever cheapest I can find...the worry of driving an old "ok what will break next..." will go away, as I am done fussing with old worn out vehicles. ;)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
360 is up there. All the big mile Toyotas and GMs I know of finally quit with major bearing failure in that 350-380 range. Neighbors v6 camry just died 380,000. His last one made it to 360. In both cases bearing failure. Two family Suburans kicked the bucket at 340 and 360 both lost a bearing and stopped cold.

I like my 4x6 trailer for dump runs plus it doubles as our camp rig, and occasional home reno materials hauler. Even if I had a midsized truck it wouldnt haul stuff as well as the high side trailer.

Clutch

<---Pass
360 is up there. All the big mile Toyotas and GMs I know of finally quit with major bearing failure in that 350-380 range. Neighbors v6 camry just died 380,000. His last one made it to 360. In both cases bearing failure. Two family Suburans kicked the bucket at 340 and 360 both lost a bearing and stopped cold.

I like my 4x6 trailer for dump runs plus it doubles as our camp rig, and occasional home reno materials hauler. Even if I had a midsized truck it wouldnt haul stuff as well as the high side trailer.

yeah, kinda waiting for it to die.

Have 5X8 trailer as well, it probably gets used more as a "truck bed" than the actual bed of the truck.

Next truck will stay absolutely bone stock, aside from a topper. I just want reliable, reliable, reliable. All this swap stuff is certainly cool, but looks like a massive can of worms.

Think the better half has me talked into a little camp trailer, problem with attaching everything to the vehicle, once it is setup, you're stuck. It never fails, we always have to run and get something, or just want to explore the general area...then you have to tear everything back down. Trailer just drop it...and no worry about being over payload so many on here turn a blind eye to.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
yeah, kinda waiting for it to die.

Have 5X8 trailer as well, it probably gets used more as a "truck bed" than the actual bed of the truck.

Next truck will stay absolutely bone stock, aside from a topper. I just want reliable, reliable, reliable. All this swap stuff is certainly cool, but looks like a massive can of worms.
The big build or swap stuff is fun and entertaining but in the end it seems to be a toy vs a regular vehicle expected to get from A to B drama free. My last swaps Dodge 318 with a built Bumblebee 440 in a 78 LB 2wd 1 ton, and a Buick v8 swapped into grandmas mint condition Chevy Chevet thing. Both were basically for sh-ts and giggles. Though the 440 beast lasted another 5 yrs hauling an alaskan camper and heavy ski boat at 4-6mpg.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If trails require winches, and 1000lbs of armor I thumb a ride in a built trail joloppy trailered in or opt for atv or dirt bike. Trashing road legal vehicles on goat paths is expensive and seems to lead to closed access due to damaged watersheds these days.

Clutch

<---Pass
If trails require winches, and 1000lbs of armor I thumb a ride in a built trail joloppy trailered in or opt for atv or dirt bike.

It certainly looks cool, but I am over it. (broken record here) Since we ride dirt bikes, there really isn't any need for a radically built street legal rig...bikes can just get in deeper. Most my dirt bike buddies have moved to UTV's, just so much faster and smoother offroad, compared to truck or SUV, even if it is "built". Only thing missing is a pressurized cab, Klim is making dust suits, but I think it is only matter of time before they start enclosing them on the sport models, I have watched many a guy try and fail to get their better halfs into dirt bikes, there is a some success getting them out there with the UTV's. (cause it is only a matter of time before the wive's and girlfriends will put up with the dirt, dust and mud ;) )...though they are starting to cost as much as regular vehicle.

What is that top of line Can Am going for $25-30K?

Kinda wild to see it evolve from lifted golf-carts to this...

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/maverick-x3.html

...though the UTV's are just re-imagined sand rails from yore.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I know lots of old married types that hike together just fine. The husband often goes off with the boys to burn fuel on dirt machines.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
It certainly looks cool, but I am over it. (broken record here) Since we ride dirt bikes, there really isn't any need for a radically built street legal rig...bikes can just get in deeper. Most my dirt bike buddies have moved to UTV's, just so much faster and smoother offroad, compared to truck or SUV, even if it is "built". Only thing missing is a pressurized cab, Klim is making dust suits, but I think it is only matter of time before they start enclosing them on the sport models, I have watched many a guy try and fail to get their better halfs into dirt bikes, there is a some success getting them out there with the UTV's. (cause it is only a matter of time before the wive's and girlfriends will put up with the dirt, dust and mud ;) )...though they are starting to cost as much as regular vehicle.

What is that top of line Can Am going for $25-30K?

Kinda wild to see it evolve from lifted golf-carts to this...

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/maverick-x3.html

...though the UTV's are just re-imagined sand rails from yore.

Are you turning this into another dirt bike thread?

Clutch

<---Pass
Are you turning this into another dirt bike thread?

UTV! ;)

What is the point of zimm dumping a bunch of time, money, and effort into an overland rig, if he never leaves PA? If he is solely running trails around PA, be better off to quit being a poser and sell his Land Cruisers and buy an UTV! :D :p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz