Land cruiser 79 series - engine comparison - VDJ, GRJ or HZJ will suit better for overland

icerunner

This topic is to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the various engines of a new 79 Series with the purpose of an overland expedition vehicle.

There are 3 options available - 1HZ - 4.2 atmospheric diesel from world war 2, 1VD-FT 4.5 V8 diesel and 1GR - 4.0 gasoline. All three have long proven. One in 30+ years, another in 10, third in 15 ... but all the way they are good and very reliable engines, so which of them will be most reliable?

If we start with the engines from the last century - the V8 diesel and the V6 gasoline ... Both will undoubtedly give enough to the driving pleasure. V6 gives some more power, and diesel much more torque. Both more than enough... 1VD-FT is certainly the most preferred choice, but what more would you really take from it, rather than 1GR for its over 200 kg more weight. V6 is 166 kg, and the V8 is more than 370.... It is a huge difference even compared to the full vehicle weight, not talking that it is over the front axle...

OK, the economy will be some 20-25 % better for the diesel... but this don't pay 200 kg load even if you are prepared with fuel for 2000 km...
Also diesel should have some better lifespan, but.... much more expensive... and for the V6 400-500 k km should be OK. In other hand, even the two engines are strong enough, if you have to fix something somewhere in the third world... well, for sure here nothing can beat old 4.2 NA diesel, but in my opinion it would be better to be with spacecraft then with V8 diesel....
In therms of electronic and possible issue with this... well again old diesel is unbeatable, but the comparison between V6 and V8 is equal I guess.

So, if we forgot for 4.2 diesel for a moment, which one will you prefer - 1GR V6 or 1VD-FT V8 diesel?

1611Aviator

1VD-FTV All day every day! It's the only one available in Aus and it can easily match and beat the hp of the V6. The V8 also has way more torque. The extra weight is not an issue at all, the 70 series was built to handle it and much more.
The petrol V6 might be a couple of grand cheaper and have more HP but if you chip a V8 it will nock the heads off the V6. And you're spending $75+ it really doesn't make sense to skimp on the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
Well, I suppose that depends on where you travel.

I have basically zero first-hand experience on the diesels and thorough experience with the 1GR.

Gas mileage will obviously be better on the diesels than the gasser. So range will be better. I'm not certain how efficient these two diesels are particularly, but they're obviously better than the V6. The 1GR has been proven to be extremely reliable and even though they're somewhat complex, the engine is offered on so much platforms that pretty much anyone can work on one with basic tools. Spare parts are widely available and carrying a few filters (and a pump) for good measure they're not very picky about bad fuel.

The 1HZ is widely available in the third world. It was not only offered on the 70 series, but on the Dyna trucks and Coaster busses as well. Spare parts will be very easy to find. Its also extremely simple and reliable. Downsides? Its very, very slow.

Only a few vehicles here have the 1VD, and all that I've seen have suffer if you don't feed them perfectly clean fuel. This is an issue in developing countries, and the reason more people haven't imported VDJ7Xs. Also, finding people who can work on the 1VD in the third world is also limited, at least in South America. They're much, much more complex than the 1HZ and (I'm almost certain) the 1GR. This would be my last choice, even though it seems to be a very interesting option, specially after slight modification.

icerunner

1VD-FTV All day every day! It's the only one available in Aus and it can easily match and beat the hp of the V6. The V8 also has way more torque. The extra weight is not an issue at all, the 70 series was built to handle it and much more.
The petrol V6 might be a couple of grand cheaper and have more HP but if you chip a V8 it will nock the heads off the V6. And you're spending $75+ it really doesn't make sense to skimp on the motor.

OK, if we will talk about modifications for better performance, there are not bad solutions for V6 also :) TRD, Magnuson... But for expedition vehicle the main principal for me will be 'keep it simple' so I compare the engines as they came out from the factory. Exception will be 1HZ where turbo is very 'nice to have' if not a must...

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I've bounced engine ideas around in my head a million times over, while daydreaming about building a one off 79 series cruiser. We haven't had a 70 series in North America since the late 80's/early 90's, thus my desire for one.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't choose a single one of those platforms. 1HZ is just too old, and parts are scarce/expensive here. Same is true parts wise on the 1VD, considering we never got them here either.

1GR leaves quite a bit to be desired imo. It was fine in my Tacoma, but it's a bit anemic in my 4runner and the fuel economy is blah.

So that really just leaves one option... Pushrod V8. Simple, reliable, good power, comparable economy, and CHEAP.

But I guess none of that is applicable if you're looking at purchasing a vehicle with any of your three engine options already in it... I'd go for the 1GR then. Lots of them around in many different vehicles. Just don't expect it to be a rocket ship, or to give you great economy.

1611Aviator

OK, if we will talk about modifications for better performance, there are not bad solutions for V6 also :) TRD, Magnuson... But for expedition vehicle the main principal for me will be 'keep it simple' so I compare the engines as they came out from the factory. Exception will be 1HZ where turbo is very 'nice to have' if not a must...

Yea, I’m not talking about having to import one, if I was only given a 1hz or the v6 I would take the 1hz just because I like it and I could import a 1hdft and swap it.

shredwagon

Observer
This topic is to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the various engines of a new 79 Series with the purpose of an overland expedition vehicle.
The decision should be based on your planned journey.
FYI: V6 gets HALF the economy of the HZ in 4LO

V8 would be a second choice if it weren't for the VDJ track width issue. ******!

@1611Aviator Incorrect - Left Hand Drive V8 VDJ's are available by special order via the Mid East. Not only Australia gets them

shredwagon

Observer
I would take the 1hz just because I like it and I could import a 1hdft and swap it.
If only it were that simple. The HZJ Achilles is the R151 which eats 3rd & 5th behind 90HP. So you're in for swapping trans, transfer, diff gears, driveshafts and cross member. Australia was the only market that got the Magic combo with the HDJ (HDFTE & H150). You would be surprised at pricing on Gumtree.

Last edited:

1611Aviator

If only it were that simple. The HZJ Achilles is the R151 which eats 3rd & 5th behind 90HP. So you're in for swapping trans, transfer, diff gears, driveshafts and cross member. Australia was the only market that got the Magic combo with the HDJ (HDFTE & H150). You would be surprised at pricing on Gumtree.

Yea that’s what we do over here. Swap the whole lot where we can. I’ve got about 10 half cuts in my watchlist and 4 on eBay. They’re usually cheaper than an FT.

Rumpig

Adventurer
Having owned a HZJ105 series for about 10 years and currently owning a VDJ79 dual cab the past 4 years, it really depends on where you want to take it is my answer. Power wise, give me my VDJ79 any day of the week (especially since I remapped it), but I don't know I would trust fuel sources if taking it touring around the world, I'd want my trusty old 1HZ engine for a trip like that. As slow as the 105 series was that I owned, it was bullet proof and a very comfortable drive (much more comfortable then my 79 series is). People whinge about the gearbox in the 105 series being weak, I towed a builders trailer daily for work and a 1..5T camper trailer across plenty of Australia on holidays without any issues at all, so I wouldn't be concerned about them myself....the front diffs busting crown wheel and pinions was more of an issue. Personally a V6 petrol engine has no appeal to me at all, so for multi country touring I'd buy a slow as (you are on holidays so relax) 1HZ powered 105 series if it was me.

lugueto

Adventurer
V8 would be a second choice if it weren't for the VDJ track width issue. ******!

FYI, the front track on a new HZJ7X is the same as the VDJ and the GRJ. Whichever the option, you will have to add spacers to the rear. The new track width is not exclusive to the V8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles