Land Cruiser 200 - an overland build up

Surfy

Adventurer
I`m on to build a overland car with a sleeping possibility inside for two persons. I had chosen a Landcruiser 200 V8 Diesel for this.

My Plan was, to drive from switzerland to southafrica on the east side at November 2012. Then the arab spring starts, and my plans go to the west side for traveling, because of the political situation. But now, it dosnt looks better on the west track - but mabee the situation will change again. Our Backup plan is to ship our car to a destination, and starts the track there.

And we think too about at first to travel in Australia or USA, and wait on a better timeframe for africa.

I hope my english is`nt to bad, for writing my build thread here in english ;)

Last week i do the first step - and get a Mike Sanders corrosion preserve. I think the guys who have to add the Winch and stuff will hate me for that. The car is built at 2011, but has get enough mud below the armor, to allow the corrosion to begin the work...

I think therefore i love watercrossings, that kind of preserve is necessary....

image10.jpg

image15.jpg

image16.jpg

image21.jpg

image27.jpg

image28.jpg

image46.jpg

image47.jpg

image48.jpg

image57.jpg

image61.jpg

image62.jpg

image63.jpg

image68.jpg

image75.jpg

I will add pictures, when the buildup process take the next step :)

Last edited:

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Hi Surfy,
Nice choice for an overland vehicle! It just won the Australian 'Overlander 4WD' magazine's car of the year for 2011, so you're not the only one who thinks it is pretty good... My parents have recently retired and done 75,000km around Australia in two years in a 200 series, and they just love, adore and worship the car. I think it has a spot closer to their heart than their own son! There was not a single place or track that they wanted to go that the vehicle wouldn't take them. Nice choice going with the V8 diesel as well.
Dad kept the vehicle pretty stock, no major changes except suspension upgrades and the requisite bull- and rear bars and fitting the vehicle out with a few other niceties. They took both back rows of seats out as they never planned for more than two people. I look forward to your build and thoughts as you go as I am thinking of doing the same thing next year. I suggest that you come to Australia rather than America - the people are just so much nicer!
:peepwall:
Oh, and your English is fine, and better than some of us native speakers I am guessing... :)
:lurk:
Humphrey

Surfy

Adventurer
Thanks for your feedback :)

@Humphrey:

What you call minor update (Bars, Suspension) we calls here major upgrade, in switzerland :Wow1:

I thought long time about how to equip has to be, discuss it in different Forums, and specially read the thread here "Mods you wouldnt do again". I load a lot, but add too a stronger suspension to the bill.

--> Bullbar with wind, rear Bar with tyre holder, Snorkel, cooper stt tyres 285/70 17's (thats 33" when i`m right), Difflocks, add fueltank 180l, suspension upgrade. Maybe overkill, maybe not. I plan to travel alone as single car, and need a little bit more recovery options this way. Also i equip a good set of recovery stuff.

My plans are too, to take out the 2nd and 3rd seat row - and build a sleeping plattform over some drawers.

Maybe you could add some pictures of your parents car, to inspire me a little bit :)

And youre right, the "good" years in africa are gone, now it is a pretty ripoff to travel there. Some Nationalparks asks 150 USD / per hour and vehicle. And maybee it is pretty dangerous. The only question is, if it is the last chance to go, because the situation will get more worse in the next years.
I have done some travels who others thought that it was dangerous, but it wasnt. I think it is more ripoff than dangerous, except of nordafrica. It is always the same: when you on wrong place at the wrong time..

But my girlfriend wants to come with me, and i have to pay more attantion for security issues. We will decide the destination a half year before we start, we have only the timeframe cleared with our employers.

@shmabs:

I found one link who describe this kind of corrosion prevention in english: http://greymarkets.eu/services/rust-proofing/ I read much about different kinds of prevention, and this one seems to the best one.

For normal car usage, i wouldnt do it, because normally we sold our cars, bevore the rust is a big issue. But for people who like to drive through mud and water - it seems necessary (look at the first pic - the car is 6 Months old).

The guy who have done the conservation, found many kilos of mud under the factory armor :D

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Welcome and looking forward to viewing your progress. I have friends who have a gasoline-engined 200-series and they really enjoy it; and it hasn't failed to take them all over North America. I'm sure you've done a lot of research so far, but just in case you've missed this forum, IH8MUD has a thread devoted to the 200-series Land Cruiser... http://forum.ih8mud.com/200-series-cruisers/

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice job so far. I watched the 200s being built in Japan a few weeks ago. They are assembled right along side the famous 70 series - on the same production line. It is easy to see why Toyota vehicles are so well made.

Please keep posting the photos :D

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Being a 200 series owner myself, I'll be following your work closely, as my guess is that I'll be learning a lot from this thread.

By the way, I have just returned from a 6,900 mile trip to Brazil (including the infamous BR-319), Peru, Ecuador and Colombia with absolutely no car related issues. The best thing about the 200 series, besides the fantastic reliability, is that even after an 800 mile day, you won't be tired at all, and will still be ready for more.

ScottyDog

Adventurer
Nice job so far. I watched the 200s being built in Japan a few weeks ago. They are assembled right along side the famous 70 series - on the same production line. It is easy to see why Toyota vehicles are so well made.

Please keep posting the photos :D

Really? Are you going to do a write up on this? Interested to see...

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
@Humphrey:Maybe you could add some pictures of your parents car, to inspire me a little bit :)
As soon as I track them down I shall, no probs. They are in Tasmania going feral with some friends on the west coast there somewhere, my old man muttering something about finding some old convict settlements that have been lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior