Land Cruiser 100 series - long range fuel tank

MN-Cherokee

What kind of price point are we talking for a 100 series Long Ranger replacement or aux tank? Do the aux tanks use the spare tire location?

I have been considering adding more fuel capacity to my 99 100 series.

Dalko43

Explorer
Why would the LR tank be any more questionable than the factory aux tank that goes in the same location?

The factory-aux tank for the diesel variants? I don't think the risk with such setup is nearly the same as with an auxiliary gasoline tank put behind the rear axle.

There is a reason most OEM's refrain from putting gasoline tanks in that area of the vehicle.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
The factory-aux tank for the diesel variants? I don't think the risk with such setup is nearly the same as with an auxiliary gasoline tank put behind the rear axle.

There is a reason most OEM's refrain from putting gasoline tanks in that area of the vehicle.

The OEM aux tank is in the exact same spot as the LR just much deeper.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
How much extra range do you really need if you're traveling in the US or Canada? The longest I have heard is on the Trans-Labrador Trail in NE Canada, 180 miles, for which 5-8 gallons should be more than enough.

Actually, 256 miles ;)

Attachments

• 9B195EE4-05B7-4358-9DE1-5FBF68893D88.jpeg
    9B195EE4-05B7-4358-9DE1-5FBF68893D88.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82

whitenoise

Adventurer
I stand corrected, in fact it's about 252 miles or 405km between gas stations in Port Hope Simpson and Goose Bay. And we did it with the stock 100 series gas tank with quite a bit left over.... Did have a 4 gallon rotopax for some insurance though!
6569321c2179379960fcad96bd780710.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

tradman

Observer
How much extra range do you really need if you're traveling in the US or Canada? The longest I have heard is on the Trans-Labrador Trail in NE Canada, 180 miles, for which 5-8 gallons should be more than enough. I wonder if something like this can easily integrate inside the existing spare wheel well: http://www.monopoel.de/catalog/radmuldentank-plus-tankgeber-tankuhr-p-620.html

That's all good and dandy when you are driving on improved roads. Try doing a couple 100 miles of low range through mud, swamp and dirt in the BC interior and see how far you get on you're factory tank. I think when I did the Alexander McKenzie I was averageing 3mpg some days. I had 20gal of fuel strapped to my roof rack and that was still only enough to get me halfway through the trail and back to civilization again.

tradman

Observer
Just an FYI. I just installed a 24g aux tank in my 03+ 100 series and it fit fine and functions great. Finally an option for us 03+ drivers.

Got it from Cruiser Brothers.

fireball

Explorer
Very happy with my long range tank on the 200. When towing our trailer, the 100 gets about 8mpg. The 24 gal aux tank will be super nice to have on the 200.

toyotatruckjunkie

Adventurer
Ward,

It was great talking to you this evening. I am leaning towards both the 40gal replacement AND the 40 gal aux. I will contact you tomorrow.

Rich from FL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94