Lally's journey: Alaska to Argentina to Africa to Ireland

thelal

Observer
Ordered "MagnaFlow Exhaust Direct Fit Catalytic Converter 23120 Catalytic Converters " from rockin4x4 today, so we'll see how that turns out. Will likely do 'new' on the rest as well so no hassle for next year+

thelal

Observer
Got front axle service done by TorFab near Seattle and no more clicking/leaking birfs. Got tie-end rods replaced as well.
Nice job guys.

Now have ABS issue to figure out.

DSCN3748.jpg

DSCN3749.jpg

thelal

Observer
Got drawer system put in today by TruckVault (local to me here so great). Very nice system with lots of extra features, bells-n-whistles if you want them (including key/finger combination locks). They do lots of drawer systems for military, police, hunters.

Have two flip 'lids' on sides so can put in more stuff there and likely some electronic recharging etc.

Need to get fridge attached to slides (same ones TV uses so heavy duty); connect up my wiring and good to go.
Cargo barrier will get small swing extra door (so full width) and then hinge 'door'/window for kids to reach back if needs be. Will all be lockable so once on cargo ship/ferry no access to rear (will have lock on outside swing tire carrier).

My wife loves the pull-out "kitchen" area that can cut on and comes out all the way to be a table (need to get some legs for it yet).

DSCN3750.jpg

DSCN3753.jpg

DSCN3754.jpg

DSCN3755.jpg

DSCN3756.jpg

DSCN3757.jpg

DSCN3759.jpg

thelal

Observer
Nope - got cancelled as needed the CA version (presume I'll need this "better version" when back in IRL/UK with higher emission needs) - so will have to do that later.

thelal

Observer
Finished updating the last two doors with insulation to help with "sound/heat dampening" on our looong trip. Added in some extra paint spray at bottom but no rust on either (hope it stays that way)

Noticed that the drivers window seal is 1/2 gone.

Upgraded the middle door speakers as well. New "retro" style - huh! (need to finish painting those)

DSCN3695.jpg

DSCN3776.jpg

DSCN3775.jpg

DSCN3791.jpg

DSCN3774.jpg

thelal

Observer
Heres some of my checklist on 4x4 truck stuff - what to do, what need, like to have, other wannas etc.

Have also about 1500 4x4 links and 4K+ lines on overlanding, folks travelling etc.

DSCN3807.jpg

coax

Adventurer
Ordered "MagnaFlow Exhaust Direct Fit Catalytic Converter 23120 Catalytic Converters " from rockin4x4 today, so we'll see how that turns out. Will likely do 'new' on the rest as well so no hassle for next year+

Should work out good for you. I've had mine on for about a year.

thelal

Observer
Currently in Fort Nelson, British Columbia and got to (small part of) Alaska and turned around to go South.

HUGE distances up here and long drives during the day to try and get anywhere. On Alaska Highway 1 and varies between 'dual carriageway' (UK term) to small country windy road where you're lucky to meet 2-4 in a day. Most are large tractor+trailers (artic's in UK) and large pickups (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) ; see a few cars. Road conditions are much better than expected with a few 'bumps' along the road (bit normally well sign posted).

Little 4x4ing so far except for a few side tracks for camping at night. Mostly we'e pulled into (in BC) provincial parks that have good facilities with free wood for campfires. Good few are closed as its past summer (and RV) season up here. I believe Oct 15th they'll all close (a shame) with gates across the entrance. With huge amonnt of land (and endless trees) you'd think they're be plenty of places to pull in (little 4x4 tracks etc.) but sometimes not the case at all -- and can be hard to find. Having better maps and topo maps with a good Garmin would help. Our Magellen GPS shows the main roads but thats it

Not been enjoying all the electronic add-on's to the car (solar, dual battery, inverters, 12v/110v/usb power) as havn't yet got around to plugging it all in. Need some down days and better weather.

Heading south now - maybe over to Jasper, back to PNW/Seattle/Washington for some fix'en (airbags on trailer still need some tweaking) and maybe some Nitro re-gearing. TorFab front-end work (CV/Birfs) going well. No issues with Landcruiser (other than some sagging on rear older springs, approx 10mpg, slow on hills)

We've seen 1 Moose, foxes, severa bison, 1 grizzly, 1 black bear + 2 cubs, caribou, mountain goats, bald eagles, peregrine, raven, crows, magpies

thelal

Observer
Turned out to be a loose bolt on the ABS sensor (has two) and that solved the funky braking issue. Thanks Adam

thelal

Observer
Should work out good for you. I've had mine on for about a year.

In the end cancelled the order and tried to switch to CA (Calf) compliant version but Rockin4x4 doesn't seem to have it. Needed CA version as presume will need that level of "emissions compliance" when I get back to Europe so might as well get it done.

looking now for a good price if anyone can find one online.

lrover52

Bernard
Hi there team !

Glad that you started your trip! Great experience as a family!

You have an excellent vehicle and if you drive carefully should have few problems.

Looking at what you plan to do, doing it all in 1 year will be VERY tight-hurried!
Sure it can be done, but its a real shame to "race" through so many countries...
Is there any way you can take longer ?

See how long it took me to do parts of Africa, long time ago:
http://landroamer.blogspot.ch/2013/04/overland-trips.html

I'll be looking at your adventures on your website. Good luck.

Get in touch with me when you reach Switzerland (near Geneva), we'll be happy to let you stay with us.

Bernard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles