Lally's journey: Alaska to Argentina to Africa to Ireland

etarasoff

Followed you over here from Mud. Sounds like it will be a great trip. Jealous! Also, looking forward to seeing your mechanical progress documented before the trip.

Finally, some unsolicited trip input: In South Africa, I'd amend that route to hit the 'Garden Route' after Cape Town, then shoot inland to hit Kruger before traveling further north...

thelal

Observer
Thanks on the South Africa side... have lots of links but no major planning yet. Once we're down S.America way will start looking at whats what, who's travelling, and all these good notes. Kruger sounds like a nice diversion!

thelal

Observer
Got a 63qt EdgeStar fridge (plenty of posts on here regd. pros/cons with other makers but <$300 was hard to beat).
Did comewith a small dent on one of the corners. So far keeping temps while on 110v. Will test on 12v soon.

Now need to figure out a slider option. Ideas?

edgestar_box_email.jpg
edgestar_box_open_email.jpg
edgestar_dent_email.jpg

thelal

Observer
Lights

Got a set of 4 LED "side" lights via ebay. Approx $45

ledsx4_email.jpg

I'll have these on the roof rack.
Another set coming for same on the trailer (do all four sides)
Will likely have on 4/8 switches so will do all one side e..g all Left, all Right, All rear
May not need two between rear roof-rack and front of trailer. I'll see

Any suggestions from those that have done this type of setup?

Other lights I'm planning:
Small light bar (<30") on the front bumper above winch (unless I get some kick-*** IPFs,LF)
Some DRL's for "in-bumper" (ARB) location (its such a small area 5 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches).
Rather put in proper fog lights in there but hard to find any that will fit.
May have to just cut into bumper for specific fog light installs
May do rear fogs/brake/indicator/reverse cut-outs on rear bumper if go that far

thelal

Observer
Hi-Lift

Switched out older Hi-Lift for newer one (present from a friend) so looks nice and spiffy
I'll need to mod the base plate holder to come in more and 'tighten' its hold. Otherwise fits great

hi-lift1-email.jpg

hi-lift-3new-email.jpg

Any suggestions/mods for back of tire swing out carrier?

Attachments

• hi-lift-new-email.jpg
    hi-lift-new-email.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 26

thelal

Observer
Tent sizes

Yah - this is a puzzle
What are the lines for?

... seeing what sizes the different makers look like, compared to each other
Have another picture with the kids in it to see measurements - see if they'll be squished, too closer etc.

carpet1.jpg

carpet2.jpg

thelal

Observer
Overlanders world map routes

This is a map of the several Overlanders that have stayed with us. You can see routes on the map if you zoom in.
We'll do some of their routes in reverse.

Lizzybus
F&F
ThirdGear
Milan who is on his last leg from Eastern Siberia to CZ (he'll have travelled all around the world (missed Australia). Has to babysit his HJ78 for a bit - that was hard!

world_map_overlanders_1email.jpg

world_map_overlanders_2email.jpg

thelal

Observer
Insulating doors

Already have done this with all of interior - floors, rear cabin area etc.
to cut down on noise and heat. We'll be a year on the road with 30-40K miles so the least "noise" the better.

Put in QuietCrap (from mud forum) - similiar to other stick 'tar'like stuff; again plenty of post on pro/con vs different makes etc.
Adding to doors now so can finish up
May do on roof but most folks that have done it don't really indicate it did much.

Easy enough to put on; just tedious but excuse to inspect those areas (inner door seals - check for rust) that you normally don't.
Still have a sticking lock on my middle/PS door. Didn't get take it off and inspect the motor itself.
Shoot - forgot to inspect/clean up interior of window motors.

Will come back in at some stage and add 12v/USB sockets to doors (for kids). See mud forum

door_1_email.jpg

door_stuff_email.jpg

door_2_email.jpg

thelal

Observer
Birfield/CV redo

Cleaning up spare birfield/CV set I've had for some time that will get replaced next week via TorFab.

Mine have been clicking for some time and also developed an oil seal leak for last few months thats tedious to keep refilling birfs with grease and cleaning up hubs.

birfs_1_email.jpg

roxanwright

Solar Servicing
Good luck on your upcoming journey. I'm quite envious that you get to experience this soon. I'm sure it will be a great experience for you and your family.

thelal

Observer
Leak at exhaust headers/front y-pipe causing P0420 OBD code

Stuck my wifes new vacuum cleaner into the tail-pipe (yes its cold) and felt around for air holes.

Found it way up on the header/y-pipe connection - well just below so not at the flange. Small hole - previous 'puttied' but needs a fix. You can see the flame flowing into the hole. Needs to get welded and likely will need to take it off.

exhaust1_email.jpg

exhaust2_email.jpg

Y needs re-welding anyway (no leak there - flame straight up) so might as well get it done.

Stuck my wifes new vacuum cleaner into the tail-pipe (yes its cold) and felt around for air holes.

Found it way up on the header/y-pipe connection - well just below so not at the flange. Small hole - previous 'puttied' but needs a fix. You can see the flame flowing into the hole. Needs to get welded and likely will need to take it off.

View attachment 240143

View attachment 240144

Y needs re-welding anyway (no leak there - flame straight up) so might as well get it done.

Great idea!

thelal

Observer
Good luck on your upcoming journey. I'm quite envious that you get to experience this soon. I'm sure it will be a great experience for you and your family.

thanks for that. Hoping it will all go well but I'm sure we'll have a few hiccups. Right now just busy trying to get as much done before we leave- 16 days and counting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles