Lady Godiva: 2017 Ram 3500 CCLB Build

Adventurous

Explorer
Well, just got notice in the mail yesterday of recall V06/NHTSA 19V-021 affecting model year 2017 Ram 3500 trucks for a potential separation of the drag link leading to loss of steering.

The specified fix is to adjust the drag link to length, then weld the jam nuts to the adjuster sleeve. IMO, this is an unacceptable solutions. To take an adjustable part, that may need to be adjusted in the future, and fixing its length? Not for me.

Instead I ordered up a Synergy Mfg (https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com...heavy-duty-drag-link-13-18-ram-2500-3500.aspx) heavy duty drag link. It eliminates the adjuster sleeve and uses threaded, greasable tie rods at the ends to change length. The other option I found from Dodge Off-road uses Heim joints, but I’ve heard rumblings about their legality for on-road applications.

Installation will be forthcoming, but just wanted to throw that out there for those rolling around in affected 3500s.

Now here’s to hoping my wife’s friend’s dad has enough tools at his Bay Area garage to allow me to get all of this work done. ?

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
Well, just got notice in the mail yesterday of recall V06/NHTSA 19V-021 affecting model year 2017 Ram 3500 trucks for a potential separation of the drag link leading to loss of steering.

The specified fix is to adjust the drag link to length, then weld the jam nuts to the adjuster sleeve. IMO, this is an unacceptable solutions. To take an adjustable part, that may need to be adjusted in the future, and fixing its length? Not for me.

Instead I ordered up a Synergy Mfg (https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com...heavy-duty-drag-link-13-18-ram-2500-3500.aspx) heavy duty drag link. It eliminates the adjuster sleeve and uses threaded, greasable tie rods at the ends to change length. The other option I found from Dodge Off-road uses Heim joints, but I’ve heard rumblings about their legality for on-road applications.

Installation will be forthcoming, but just wanted to throw that out there for those rolling around in affected 3500s.

Now here’s to hoping my wife’s friend’s dad has enough tools at his Bay Area garage to allow me to get all of this work done. ?
I’m doing the exact same thing, and I’m going to send the bill to Chrysler to see if they will reimburse me, in the recall letter it explains where to can send a bill for reimbursement.... I’ll keep my fingers crossed. The welding of the nut is temporary until they get a premonition fix, I like you am not going to have this bs patch done on my truck.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I’m doing the exact same thing, and I’m going to send the bill to Chrysler to see if they will reimburse me, in the recall letter it explains where to can send a bill for reimbursement.... I’ll keep my fingers crossed. The welding of the nut is temporary until they get a premonition fix, I like you am not going to have this bs patch done on my truck.
I developed dw with my original linkage and paid to have the updated one installed as the dealer was backordered. I sought reimbursement but Dodge said no dice. The updated one developed play at the pitman arm drag link fitting.
On went the Synergy system.

Adventurous

Explorer
I developed dw with my original linkage and paid to have the updated one installed as the dealer was backordered. I sought reimbursement but Dodge said no dice. The updated one developed play at the pitman arm drag link fitting.
On went the Synergy system.

Booo on them, that’s lame. And here I was hoping they might be reasonable about it.

I’m throwing on a steering brace at the same time, so hopefully that plus the Synergy drag link will tighten things up and keep them that way.

Adventurous

Explorer
It's on 2018 2500's as well. Very disappointed in their fix.
Just got the same note for mine. Please keep us posted if they reimburse- I agree that their proposed fix is unacceptable.

Guys, check your drag link NOW. Just crawled under my truck and found one of the jam nuts backed off a few turns. Of course we are boondocked at the moment and I don’t have a wrench big enough, so I’ll have to hand tighten and limp it 12 miles down the road to the wrench store.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I mean you should be concerned, the repeated slapping of the threads will weaken them to eventually fatigue and fail. I just eventually put some red locktite on it and it hasnt backed off yet.

Explorerinil

Observer
Mine has been fine also. I am planning on a lengthy trip in June to remote areas of Canada, so today I gave CJC Off-road a call and ordered the synergy steering and steering brace, I don’t want to risk it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94