Lady Godiva: 2017 Ram 3500 CCLB Build

Adventurous

Explorer
Following this thread with interest- appreciate the quality of information!

Too bad there's no lurk smilie.

Thank you! :) Glad to have you following along.

Today marks two weeks until we close on our house and hit the road. I've put in notice at my job, the Tacoma rolled off with it's new owner last night :cry:, and I'm elbow deep in trip prep. In no particular order, I must accomplish the following on the truck:

- Install Thuren suspension kit
- Install Air Lift bags
- Install air compressor
- Install running boards

Camper list on the other hand:

- Build spacer for the bottom
- Replace all lights with LEDs
- Fabricate generator mount
- Replace propane bottles
- Mount Rotopax

This is in addition to getting the house packed up, stuff moved into storage, and things sold. I'm gonna be a busy guy...any volunteers wanna come help?

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
As someone who is the embodiment of the saying, "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all", Colorado/Mother Nature just granted us our going away present. The one thing that we couldn't afford to have happen just did.

Untitled by Tim Souza, on Flickr

I'll have to wait until the morning to see the full extent of the damage to the truck, but I could see at least a few dents on the fenders, hood, roof, and roof rails. All glass is intact.

Unfortunately, the camper appears to have born the brunt of it. Both vents were blown out and water was coming into the camper. The emergency hatch appears to have had the shroud cracked, the AC shroud has some holes punched through it, but luckily the roof has no penetrations and all glass is intact. :(. Given our departure date of the 28th, this has some undesirable ramifications...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
As someone who has had to deal with annual hail storms here in Texas my entire life, I feel your pain. This is unfortunate for sure. PDR has come a long way and hopefully the damage to your truck isn't too terrible and you can have her back on the road in a few weeks. That said, I have known a few people who have had their vehicles completely totaled out over a hail storm before so anything is possible.

Keep us up to date on the situation, fingers crossed it turns out well for you.

Kingsize24

Holy crap brother!!! I absolutely HATE hearing this. PDR should get most of it, but the damage to the camper can't be easily repaired. Would love to help in some way if possible. Keep us updated!

Watt maker

Man, sorry to hear this! Hopefully it gets fixed fast and easy. Didn’t your Tacoma get pounded by hail early on? Maybe Mother Nature wants you to roll with some dents in the panels.

Adventurous

Explorer
As someone who has had to deal with annual hail storms here in Texas my entire life, I feel your pain. This is unfortunate for sure. PDR has come a long way and hopefully the damage to your truck isn't too terrible and you can have her back on the road in a few weeks. That said, I have known a few people who have had their vehicles completely totaled out over a hail storm before so anything is possible.

Keep us up to date on the situation, fingers crossed it turns out well for you.

Holy crap brother!!! I absolutely HATE hearing this. PDR should get most of it, but the damage to the camper can't be easily repaired. Would love to help in some way if possible. Keep us updated!

Thanks for the sympathies fellas. My self appraisal noted a good 3 dozen or so dings, most of which are small, and none of which took off paint. Other than the few dings that caught seams in body panels, I figure they are all candidates for PDR. I'm hesitant to file an insurance claim at this point since that would make 3 hail damage claims, 1 totaled vehicle (not my fault), and 1 accident (also not my fault) against my auto insurance in 4 years time. Granted none of them are my fault, but I'd sure hate to get dropped for having bad luck.

I remember those CO hail storms catching me out in the woods when I was a kid.
I hope it all works out for you.

Having grown up on the East Coast, hail was a new and unwelcomed natural phenomenon to deal with. Can't say I'll miss it when we move out of state.

It’s been horrible the past couple of days! Sorry y’all got hit. If you need any help with anything let me know....

Thank you and I appreciate the offer! I'll drop you a PM if I find myself needing an extra set of hands.

Man, sorry to hear this! Hopefully it gets fixed fast and easy. Didn’t your Tacoma get pounded by hail early on? Maybe Mother Nature wants you to roll with some dents in the panels.

My Tacoma was ~ 2 years old when it got hit last May. All told, insurance paid out $10K for repairs to that vehicle for that single incident. My prior Tacoma got hailed on within 2 months of purchase, and now this truck within 2 months of purchase, so maybe your theory has merit...

neduro

Do some reading to understand Colorado law, I am not an expert but I believe that insurance companies are not allowed to change rate based on not at fault incidents.

Worth some research, but your insurance agent will not be helpful on this.

Adventurous

Explorer
No updates to share at the moment, just bumping this thread so everyone knows I’m still alive and all. Between quitting my job, selling the house, and doing work on the camper (and boy do I have stories about that), the past 3.5 weeks have been a whirlwind.

I’ll get this thread up to date here soon, we’re on the road now, so updates will coincide with cell service. First major stop, the Tetons!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94