Lada Niva Mini Expedition Project

griffdog

Observer
Spent a couple of hours this am checking out a few things and starting a bit of a parts order and work plan. Fixed the bonnet catch which was broken and glued a bit of a crack in the dash.

Decided to pull a wheel off and check brakes (good) and to to have a look behind the splash gaurd (very good, big rust trap oin Nivas is the inner gaurd cavity which has a hard plastic cover behind the front wheel. If the drain hole for this is blocked and it fills up with crud, it rusts through the bottom of the guard. Nivas also have a bonded seem joining the top of the guard to the windscreen panel, as the sealant shrinks it can allow water into there which then sits in the cavity and rots through - this is the one thing that can really kill a Niva). Gave everything a wire brush down and general clean and then fish oiled behind the splash panel and gave everything else a light mist coat or satin black and fishoil - just tidies everything up for roadworthy guys. Nothing really to be done to the front end though - all boots and rubbers in good condition. I have a new set of brake hoses that came witht he car and I will pull the brake pistons and put some new seals in while I am at it.

Also need to give the brake bake plate a bit of a paint, but overall looks pretty good.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg560/Fatsprintking/DSCN0243.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg560/Fatsprintking/DSCN0242.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg560/Fatsprintking/DSCN0244.jpg

griffdog

Observer
Hi Inter, everythng is in very good condition. This is a low miles car which has never been too far away from where I live in central victoria, australia so it is in very original condition.

Like all lada's I have seen in australia it has a few litte area of under paint rust that seems to be either caused by porus paint or moisture on the surface prior to painting, but this will be dealt with as a matter of course and is not bad.

griffdog

Observer
Great photos Inter - I have never seen these before. I greatly appreciate your interest. Any other cool Niva photo's or info always welcome:).

griffdog

Observer
I have done a lot of motorycle touring in the outback and find that the Niva has plenty of room for two people touring if you have the right attitude (only take what you really need and keep weight to a minimum). I usually just sleep in a simple swag when touring or a small two man hiking tent. Plenty of room for all I need for a 2 weeks or so trip which is all the time I can really afford.

griffdog

Observer
Any updates Griff?

Just about to really start cracking into the Niva after needing to finish another car I have been working on. Have sourced some parts I need and over the Australian summer will be going hard on the Niva. Expect an update soon.

griffdog

Observer
OK, have needed to replace the inlet valves on this baby due to cam chain coming off sprockets. With head off, the bottom end is fine but will redo head from here with a mild port job, skim of head to increase compression and match this to a good exhaust system..

Cylinder head pics.

Note how much extra meat there is on exhaust port. Bent valve. Engine otherwise in good nick.

28bbjia.jpg

ojmnux.jpg

6rualv.jpg

griffdog

Observer
A while since I posted here as I broke a top off a valve guide when pulling down the head. This brought a halt to proceedings and as I was working on my Valiant, did not get going again until recently (also I brought trooper for family expo duties).

Brought valve guides and removal tool for about 20 bucks from the Ukraine. this is the progress. Not roller cam chain tensioner replacing original slipper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles