La Sportiva mountain boots

BrianTN

Adventurer
I am moving soon so trying to cut down on items I do not use. Would like to sell my La Sportiva mountain boots.Before this move I moved to Florida so they have little use. Size 43.5. Asking $150. Will take PayPal plus fees or personal check that will have to clear before shipping.
IMG_6540.jpeg
IMG_6542.jpeg
IMG_6543.jpeg
IMG_6545.jpeg

alia176

Explorer
Sorry for the dumb question but can these boots be used as regular snow boots while snowshoeing or just snow walking with spikes? Or are they strictly made for ice climbing with crampons? Lastly, what size shoes do you wear? Conversion charts says 43.5 is size 10 U.S. but everything is subjective! I wear size 10.5 wide whenver possible. Do these shoes run on the "large" side or "small" side?

Thanks.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Honestly I am not sure on use with snow shoes. I think they would be fine but maybe the La Sportiva website has more information? I normally wear a size 10 regular. I’ll try them on when I get home from work and let you know if it feels like there is lots of room or not.

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
Sorry for the dumb question but can these boots be used as regular snow boots while snowshoeing or just snow walking with spikes? Or are they strictly made for ice climbing with crampons? Lastly, what size shoes do you wear? Conversion charts says 43.5 is size 10 U.S. but everything is subjective! I wear size 10.5 wide whenver possible. Do these shoes run on the "large" side or "small" side?

Thanks.
These are general heavy backpacking/light mountaineering boots. They can be used for just about anything you want short of technical ice climbing. They aren’t insulated, so aren’t *really* 4 season boots, but they are still warm enough for a lot folks to use year round (with good wool socks). You can do anything you want with these. They aren’t fully rigid, so walking isn’t a challenge with them like it might be with some boots.

alia176

Explorer
Ok, thank you for the details, very helpful. I've reached out to Sportiva and they've suggested two winter boots for me to look at. I need to find a local supplier for their winter boots now.

GLWS.

Superduty

Adventurer
Fwiw, i have found la sportiva a little better if your foot is on the wider side. Scarpa for the narrower foot. Both make excellent mountaineering boots.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I am fairly certain that I have this exact boot but an older model of it. I'm not home now therefore I can't check to be certain. I've used mine with snow shoes and with crampons for ice climbing. I wear 2 pair of SmartWool socks and use knee high gaiters. I treat the leather as well. You can't go wrong with La Sportiva. The best boot maker that's out there IMO.

Superduty

Adventurer
These appear to be the Makalu. La Sportiva made at least 2 different models.

Makalu - heavier leather and accepted step in crampons. I am not sure if the newer version deleted the step in crampon option

Makalu M Hike - thinner leather and do not accept step in crampons.

Hard to tell from the pics, but these do not appear to be able to use step in crampons.

I thought they stopped making the M Hike version many years ago, but i could be wrong.

I had a pair of each. I used the M-Hikes for about 15 years of SAR work. I used the regular version for operations when a heavier boot was needed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
Pretty sure those are Glaciers, from a few years ago (before they transitioned to Glacier WLF and Glacier EVO). Definitely not step-in compatible. Excellent all-round boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94