L322 Overlanding Build and Adventures

L322SC

Has anyone used the front runner roof rack for the Range Rover L322?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just put a slimline 2 front runner rack on my 07 l322. Was pretty easy, just drill 3 holes into each of the universal roof rails supplied with the rack. If you contact front runner they put together a list of parts for it.

Attachments

• 66C93D64-B5DF-4391-9630-6D70D60D0905_1_102_o.jpeg
    66C93D64-B5DF-4391-9630-6D70D60D0905_1_102_o.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 65DDB6F0-B043-4977-BDF3-83A82C607EB5.jpeg
    65DDB6F0-B043-4977-BDF3-83A82C607EB5.jpeg
    478.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 1354728A-3957-4AD7-815A-2CDB500A6459_1_105_c.jpeg
    1354728A-3957-4AD7-815A-2CDB500A6459_1_105_c.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 119

RR876

The L322 drawer unit shown in this thread is now for sale with pickup in Cupertino, CA. It has functioned wonderfully but I am now transferring my overlanding activities to a D2 so that I can venture further off the beaten path.

I will include the swing down hitch mounted tire carrier to complement the unit.

$800 OBO for both, fridge and water tank not included.

UPDATE - drawer unit and rear tire carrier SOLD

Last edited:

broadwayjake

Just put a slimline 2 front runner rack on my 07 l322. Was pretty easy, just drill 3 holes into each of the universal roof rails supplied with the rack. If you contact front runner they put together a list of parts for it.
What size wheels and tires are you running?

Overlanding 4WD

The first thing I would do is remove all the crap from the top. Some cool rigs here, but I am done having much if anything on the roof... including me.

Where else do you suggest things go? Our L322’s have limited space, the only option IS to put gear on a roof rack.

Dogpilot

I used the FR rack, made my own adaptors to utilize the factory roof rails. So I keep water and if I run a generator, some fuel up there along with the RTT. I got the Yakima, as it is the lightest one I could find, 100lbs. I also made my own upper deflector from ¼" ABS, since they almost all are silly overpriced. You can buy a 4'x8' piece of ABS for half the price of one fairing. You can make dozens from one sheet. As for inside storage, I modified some SCT sliders and made a set of my own to fit a Pelican 1550 case. I also made a board, covered in outdoor carpet, to fit exactly over the depression that is left when you fold the seats up. It gives you a flat space for more efficient storage. Placed two Odessy 1200's in the right storage compartment, wired in a relay, two different USB/USB C charge points with voltage monitor. This powers the fridge and my nauseating suite of field gear, microscopes and such for my field work.

IMG_5620.JPGIMG_5616.JPG

Silmarillion

Observer
Did you consider a wind guard going down to the top of the roof with the extra material? Getting the Front Runner wind guard completely changed the interior noise volume for the better on my LR3. I Would guess you get a good bit of noise/vibration going under rack?

Really great looking build!

Dogpilot

Actually, not too terribly noisy. There is another deflector on the underside of the front rack. I actually store items like long poles and the really big tripods I use to set up equipment in the field on the bottom of the rack. So having unrestricted side access is rather important to me. I know this is probably just me, I think also the side things look goofy. I did mention I made my own mounting system, so It pops off in minutes. I just remove 6 bolts and lift it straight up with a bunch of my spare climbing gear I keep in the hanger. Really don't do that much climbing anymore. Besides Goldline is really only useful for hauling things like stretchers and such up cliffs, and I have a bunch of that stuff left over from when I still got lowered in old mines and down auger holes. Not so into that idiocy anymore. All in all the system has worked well for me. Now I have to decide what to keep and what to shed/modify for the Defender. Which by coincidence has left the port and is being transported for me to pick up this week.

Last edited:

bri

Adventurer
Where else do you suggest things go? Our L322’s have limited space, the only option IS to put gear on a roof rack.

Everything is inside and tied down. But I only allow one passenger. But most of my extended trips are mostly solo. Rear seats removed. Specifically so I don't need stuff up top. Less is more. I don't like stuff that screams steal me either as days can go by with it unattended.

Dogpilot

I get the have have everything inside attitude. For one thing, everything on top gets filthy from dust. I do, have a bunch of things I would rather have up there, fuel and the tent. The tent has been rather cool. Longtime tent everywhere in the world kind of guy. Then I did , trip after trip to do field work in South Africa. I always rented an Avis Safari Truck. They always come with a RTT. Kind of grew to love them. There are so many places I go that setting up a tent would mean a long wander around for a good flat spot, when all I really want is 5-6 hours of shuteye. I made my whole top setup easy, quick removal since I live next to this kind of sovereign thing where the residents have a totally different concept of ownership. If you put stuff up there and leave it, it will get stolen. Makes us in Flagstaff laugh when the "Overlanders" are lined up at the highway 89 offramp from the I-40. All pretty much looking like they became highly magnetized and drove through a junkyard. Of particular mirth are all the shiny waxed Mercedes Sprinters. My favorite is the ones with a dinky red 2.5 gal on rotopax on the spare. Oh yeah, that will move that behemoth almost 1.5 miles. Oh, and the traction boards, they all must have them. like they would ever get the things in a place so dirty they might need them. Anyhow, back on track, this stuff gets quickly stripped off if parked overnight anyplace around here. You know, there is a lot of it for sale on Craigslist locally, funny that. BTW, I don't "allow" one passenger. Heck as many as want to cram onto the one remaining seat are welcome. I did try an Autohome for a bit, kind of an epic fail. First off, they are super heavy. Then for some inexplicable reason, my wife hated it. She likes the cloth one. Go figure.

On top of Vermillion Cliffs, about 100 yards from the edge. It is next where the Condor's are released:
Range Rover Tent2 copy.jpg

This guy kept following us around, whispering "die, I'm hungry." They really are huge.
Condor1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94