KTM 690 Enduro for all around

Juntura

Observer
I need some help here.

I have been into dirt road exploring and back country adventures for years. I have spent most of my time in Isuzu Trooper exploring SE Oregon, Northern Nevada, and SW Idaho. I have been thinking a motorcycle would fit my needs perfectly. This year I have decided to go for it and am planning on buying a good dual sport.

I like dirt roads more than highway, but still want to be able to cover 100-200 miles of blacktop at a time (Comfortably). A lot of the routes here include single track which to the best of my knowledge eliminates the majority of non-modded BMW's and KLR's. I have been looking at used bikes, but being summer now, my choices are limited locally.

For the $ some of the new bikes look like decent values and I have recently become smitten with the new KTM 690 Enduro which is being shipped to US dealers now. I think it should work to explore dirt roads, single track, and will work on the highway. KTM has a rack so luggage can be added.

Would you all please give me your opinions and thoughts.

Thanks, Juntura

805gregg

Adventurer
KTM's are great bikes, but the 690 or 650 for that matter is real viby on the road and KTM's are known to require lots of wrenching.

Speaker

Adventurer
My 620 (pre-640) was a paint shaker... I got on my bud's XR650r (also supposed to be vibey) and the difference was astronomical. The XR was hundreds of times less vibey than the 620.

deminimis

Explorer
The XR650R is the best bike ever built. Love mine. Think I like the KTM more though (once the quirks are ironed out).

NothingClever

Explorer
Every high performance machine is going to require maintenance.

Every machine has its peculiarities.

The trick for me has been to learn the bike's peculiarities and then decide if I want to invest the time to deal with them.

KTM has been, for me, a much more fruitful investment of my time than when I wrenched on a modern BMW.

Older BMWs are a different story.

HelaJames

Observer
I have a 690 and live in northern Nevada, it is the perfect bike around here. goes well on the street and light enough for the trails. I put a steering stabilizer on it so now loose sand does not stop it either!!!! it is not realy viby like all are saying either, it is counterbalenced.

If you can find one buy it!!!!

Helajames

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne