KTM 1190...in the right hands

Scott Brady

Founder
That dude is an inspiration. After watching his first video a few years ago, I stopped complaining about the weight of bikes- I just needed to become a better rider. . .

Gifu

Observer
well this makes me feel a heck of a lot better about my decisions to upgrade from my 990 to an 1190 (was too good a deal to pass up). i'm a big guy and was able to man handle the 990 even loaded for a trip.. and I was afraid the 1190 was too big and bulky. but after checking the weight...they are within a few pounds of each other. Then watching this video... I mean.. not what I am buying this bike for (more long distance)... but glad to know it's this capable.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
These bikes are ridiculously capable. I've ridden my 1090 over some gnarly stuff, and when it's rolling it doesn't feel heavy. It feels like a big (Really Big) dirt bike.

Slow speed riding around obstacles is pretty easy on these big bikes.

You can get into trouble though, and when things go sideways you're just along for the ride. I banged up my foot last week on a Dual Sport ride (Should've taken my CRF300L Rally) I whiskey'd it coming out of a pair of deep puddles that I didn't see in time due to sun/shade and speed. Traction control was off and I rode the rear wheel all the way off the road. Foot got tangled up between the berm and the foot peg.

Gifu

Observer
Ouch!!! Dang. Glad it was not worse. Ever since my mtn bike wreck last October (40 mph cartwheel; broken sternum separated shoulder) I ride everything much slower. But the sound of a KTM twin is hard to not twist more sound from it!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Hopefully you were wearing proper MX boots, those adventure focused models don't have the protection or support needed for incidents in general and these heavy bikes.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Hopefully you were wearing proper MX boots, those adventure focused models don't have the protection or support needed for incidents in general and these heavy bikes.
This has been on my mind a lot. I was wearing my Sidi Adventure boots, and believe the results could have been different if I'd been wearing my Sidi Crossfire MX boots. There is not guarantee that different boots would have made a difference IMO because I've seen plenty of injury's where friends and acquaintances were wearing MX boots. There is no silver bullet for the perfect hit in some cases. There was some violent movement going on when my foot got tangled up with the berm and the foot peg. I was also going fairly fast when it happened. I've been second guessing my gear, technique, speed choices, ect for the last week and a half..

I will consider wearing my MX boots on future big bike rides that are actually dual sport rides for sure.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
This has been on my mind a lot. I was wearing my Sidi Adventure boots, and believe the results could have been different if I'd been wearing my Sidi Crossfire MX boots. There is not guarantee that different boots would have made a difference IMO because I've seen plenty of injury's where friends and acquaintances were wearing MX boots. There is no silver bullet for the perfect hit in some cases. There was some violent movement going on when my foot got tangled up with the berm and the foot peg. I was also going fairly fast when it happened. I've been second guessing my gear, technique, speed choices, ect for the last week and a half..

I will consider wearing my MX boots on future big bike rides that are actually dual sport rides for sure.

I agree, some accidents simply can’t be avoided or protected against but in all my years of riding Offroad/ADV I can whole heartedly say that full on MX boots like Sidi Crossfires and Gaerne SG’s give you the best odds of protecting your lower leg. Regardless of the style/content of the ride I always wear full MX boots these days.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I agree, some accidents simply can’t be avoided or protected against but in all my years of riding Offroad/ADV I can whole heartedly say that full on MX boots like Sidi Crossfires and Gaerne SG’s give you the best odds of protecting your lower leg. Regardless of the style/content of the ride I always wear full MX boots these days.

I completely agree. Sage advice for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles