KRP's 2005 4Runner on Vancouver Island

KRP

Observer
Hey EXPO,

I guess it's time for an intro. I've been lurking for a while before I picked up my 4Runner, and now that I've had it for a couple of months, it's time to say Hi and do one of these build threads.

I'm normally a sports car guy, but we have rescued 2 dogs in the last 2 years, which has forced me to reconsider our vehicle choice. Just around Christmas, we traded in my MazdaSpeed3 and picked up a 2005 4Runner Limited with the V8 with 163000kms. While it's our only vehicle, the V8 isn't a concern as we're a short 15 minute walk to both of our offices, and we honestly drive the vehicle in the city once a week. It makes for a cheap monthly gas bill. After 4 months, I absolutely LOVE the truck.

Obligatory family shot at Landslide Lake, northern Vancouver Island. My G/F is the only one that actually cooperates for photos.
Landslide Lake.jpg

We live in Victoria, BC and are big hikers/backpackers, have done some kayaking trips and are just getting into the off road adventures. I just passed my CISSP exam (IT Security) and am interviewing for a new job next week, so we decided that Easter weekend would be our first trip into some more remote areas of Vancouver Island to defrag.

In pretty much stock form, here is the truck (phone pics) at a couple of lakes we camped at.

McCreight Lake
4Runner1.jpg

Lowry Lake
4Runner2.jpg

Both nights we were alone, with no one else around, and no cell coverage. As my G/F pointed out, we once hiked a 16km/2100 meter summit, and shared that glorious view with about 70 other hikers (I even called my parents for fun from that summit since I had cell phone coverage). I'm finding it's tougher to get away from things, so this weekend was pretty amazing.

The truck performed rather well on the FSRs, but I'm already bored with the stock rake and the X-REAS/Airbag combo. Seeing as this is my first 4x4, I'm doing my best to get up-to-speed on proper modifications.

Since my truck is currently stock, this thread will actually be documenting the modifications and trips as they happen.

The first real modification will be suspension related. I'm looking to do an OME suspension swap in the next month, and probably add some UCAs as well. Having never lifted a vehicle before, it's tough for me to know if I'll be happy with the OME's, but I think the simplicity compared to the X-REAS/Airbag will be very welcomed. the OME solutions just seem to be very we represented on a lot of forums, so I don't think I can go wrong with this option. I don't think there are too many modded 4th gen 4Runners in my area, so I don't think I can sample other people's trucks to see what I think of the various suspension options.

After this will be a set of sliders and a proper roof rack. I was noticing this weekend that I would have loved to toss the firewood on the roof rack, vs. storing it inside the 4Runner.

I'll probably replace the current tires later this year when it's closer to snowboard season, even though the current Michelin's are in great shape with lots of life left on them.

We're heading into Washington and Oregon in September for a tour of some back roads, and have a couple of Fire Lookout Towers rented, so we're really looking forward to getting out and touring with this truck more. We're also seriously discussing making the trip to the 2015 Overland Expo, as it seems like the most amazing environment to gain knowledge from those that have already been there and done everything we're just starting to do.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Great intro! Welcome to ExPo! I look forward to watching the build and the adventures. Sounds like you're welcoming this overland thing with open arms.

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
The 4runner is a great vehicle; I got my 2004 last year with a lot of mods already done. With the OME suspension make sure to analyze which rate will be best for you. My 4runner had OME heavy rate springs on the front and medium rate on the rear when I bought it. Even with the ARB bumper and winch up front the ride was firmer than I was comfortable with. I switched to the Icon suspension and have been fairly pleased with it. My other reasons for switching were for the extended travel (+1") in the front and one of the front springs was cracked (the bottom wrap).

I grew up on Vancouver Island (Duncan) and will probably be out there this summer to visit family in Nanaimo. Maybe we can meet up!

turbotommy

Observer
ill be keeping an eye on this build as its close to home. always good to see another wheeler on the rock . did you go any farther than lowry ? lots of places to see up there

KRP

Observer
Thanks for the welcome. It's great to see so many other BC people on here. Apparently we were camping in the same area as another EXPO member on the weekend. The Alberni valley is pretty vast, so that doesn't mean we were actually close. I'm looking forward to hanging out in this community and meeting up with people on our journeys.

Adventurer
Welcome and nice rig. You'll love that truck. Not sure what all you are considering to do to your truck but another very popular set up are FJ Cruiser coil springs with 5100 Bilsteins after losing the Xreas. That's the route I took and the ride and look are great. Good luck :)

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Love BC. Love Vancouver Island. Y'all have some of the nicest campsites and beautiful terrain that I've ever seen! Welcome!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Ahhh more Vancouver Islanders... and nerdy types too. I am a Jeep guy, but also an IT guy (Datacenter Operations) so we have some stuff in common. Lots to explore on the island, love this place, so many things to do and see away from people!!
Greg

Wainiha

Explorer
Nice of you to rescue the dogs. Mazda speed3 must have been fun. Was it chipped?

OME will be a good choice. If you want UCAs and extended shock would be good. Not sure if OME does that like the other companies. It just has 1" extra travel. I should have gotten that style with my ICONs.

When our Toyotas get raised by a coilover lift we lose downtravel. Also the CV angle changes and has a possibility of wearing through boots quicker. I wouldn't raise the front over 2.5"

This what I learned on my truck and on other forums. If you want some info on the new 4runners I ask Wyatt at RST(Rock Solid Toys). Those guys are more hardcore wheelers, but they have all the info.

KRP

Observer
Time for an update... Although, I haven't done much to the truck, but it's definitely getting some use. We've been out a few times camping around the island this summer, and just finished a tour of Washington and Oregon, with a mix of tenting and Lookout Tower rentals. It was a pretty amazing trip, and being able to get away from the highways just added some new elements. All photo credit goes to my G/F... I was too busy loving the roads.

Our first stop was a rainy couple of days in the tent in the Cascades, along the Mountain Loop Highway. While it is definitely a busy area, it's a spectacular place for hiking, and we got a couple of wet days of hiking in.
10622801_10204730669610341_9002340033315862795_n.jpg

10636930_10204730672970425_6592402516187746242_o.jpg

We then had a LONG day of driving to get to the Gold Butte Lookout tower, near Detroit, Oregon. I've only ever stuck to the Oregon Coast on my visits, so heading East away from the coast wa s a new, and very awesome experience. The Forest Service road up was pretty rough, but ultimately very enjoyable, with spectacular scenery. We then had to hike another 1/2 mile (and strenuous climb) to the lookout tower at 4600 ft (when you live at sea level, this is actually rather challenging), and arrived there after sun set. However... my morning coffee was shared with Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson:

10687417_10204730677970550_4327417528559864197_n.jpg

And once the sun is up:

10562732_10204730679730594_3416633793401540740_o.jpg

After a couple days drying out the gear (I hauled everything up that climb to get it dried out), we headed even further east.

The dogs seem to approve of the road trip.

10628518_10204730672370410_1016855176543035215_n.jpg 1972540_10204730916696518_2877912917407068528_n.jpg

We drove through Prineville and headed into the mountains and did a 30 mile trip to the Ochoco crest, approx 6000 ft. At no point was the stock 4Runner suspension an issue on this drive, but it definitely got a workout. I can't wait to get this truck lifted.

10583054_10204730680810621_5915838095178149916_o.jpg

Our campsite for the night ended up being so difficult to get into that we headed back to Prineville and bunked down in a hotel. We lucked out, as it dropped to about 3 degree Celsius over-night, and would have made for a pretty chilly night in the tent. We headed out the next day and slowly explored the John Day Fossil bed area, and eventually made our way up to the Fall Mountain Lookout tower. Thankfully, I could drive right up to the tower.

10665767_10204730681690643_2740240647597499653_n.jpg

10687468_10204730683050677_2174933095791805599_o.jpg

1391854_10204730755212481_9169199027481048984_n.jpg

We then headed North into Washington, crashed for the night in Yakima, and a full day of driving back to the island.

There were a few things I learned on this trip:
  • Speeding tickets suck when you are less than 15 minutes into your trip trying to make a ferry. This blows your Scotch fund really quickly.
  • Always have backup money. When your Canadian Visa suddenly decides it's too worn out (Well used) to work, travelling suddenly throws some new challenges your way.
  • Driving time always take longer than planned. This sometimes causes a tense end to the day when you're missing an amazing sunset and hiking in the dark. :)
  • Failing TPMS sensors are annoying when they start on your trip. I have been checking my religiously checking my tire pressure for a number of days now.
  • I'll probably end up purchasing a roaming sim-card for my cell phone next time I'm in the U.S. It's very liberating going 9 days without data or cell phones, but there is just a certain level of comfort having access to data when needed (without being charged a fortune).

We're now seriously considering a RTT. It appears that the money I was going to spend on a lift and sliders may be diverted to an RTT with an annex first. I think we'll get some serious usage out of it, and the annex will make life in the rainy Vancouver Island/Pacific Northwest a little easier. We've spent a lot of time camping in the rain this year, so it's starting to be make sense, especially when camping with the dogs.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice updates, glad to see you are getting out a lot. Yes, and RTT with an annex is a great idea. The CVT offerings are well made and reasonably priced, as are the Tepui tents (cant tell them apart up close, identical). I bet you will end up spending a LOT less than you expect on one.

I always carry a backup credit card, too many occasions where one card fails or gets a hold on it because of traveling.

There are some really good deals on roaming plans out there now. This one was pointed out to me by a buddy before a recent trip to San Francisco. http://www.roammobility.com/

Beautiful views!!

If you ever want to check out my CVT tent up close and personal, let me know. I am happy to show you what they are like to use etc. It is way nicer to see them in person before you order something online.
:coffeedrink:

KRP

Observer
Well, it's been a while since I've updated, but I think this should be a good update. My girlfriend said I'm acting like a kid at Christmas, but I'm clearly celebrating my upcoming March birthday. In my personal world, I finally received my CISSP designation, and so I've decided to throw money at the truck.

My FrontRunner rack arrived today, and I'm itching to get that mounted quickly this weekend.
CAM00240.jpg

I'll be ordering our RTT from Tepui, shipped to Port Angeles at the beginning of March (Thanks to Box Rocket for the assistance so far).

On Tuesday, the truck goes into the shop to get the X-REAS suspension torn out, and replaced with an OME/Bilstein 5100 setup. Normally, I'd be happy to tackle a suspension swap, but we live in a condo, and I'm not sure how the strata would take to me tearing the truck apart in the parking lot. So, one of the local 4x4 shops is going to have a blast ripping that suspension out.

And, on top of all that, we're booking 3 weeks of hiking through Switzerland, Austria and Germany in August. It might not involve the 4Runner, but it's definitely going to be a good trip.

Photos will be posted of the before/after progress.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Well, it's been a while since I've updated, but I think this should be a good update. My girlfriend said I'm acting like a kid at Christmas, but I'm clearly celebrating my upcoming March birthday. In my personal world, I finally received my CISSP designation, and so I've decided to throw money at the truck.

My FrontRunner rack arrived today, and I'm itching to get that mounted quickly this weekend.
View attachment 270898

I'll be ordering our RTT from Tepui, shipped to Port Angeles at the beginning of March (Thanks to Box Rocket for the assistance so far).

On Tuesday, the truck goes into the shop to get the X-REAS suspension torn out, and replaced with an OME/Bilstein 5100 setup. Normally, I'd be happy to tackle a suspension swap, but we live in a condo, and I'm not sure how the strata would take to me tearing the truck apart in the parking lot. So, one of the local 4x4 shops is going to have a blast ripping that suspension out.

And, on top of all that, we're booking 3 weeks of hiking through Switzerland, Austria and Germany in August. It might not involve the 4Runner, but it's definitely going to be a good trip.

Photos will be posted of the before/after progress.

Please show us the results!

Btw, let me know if you need travel info for Germany :) I'm from the black forest ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles