KRP's 2005 4Runner on Vancouver Island

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice work on the CISSP and of course, the 4 Runner stuff!

You will love the Tepui, my friend Dan has one on his trailer and it works great for him. Nice setup.

KRP

Observer
Awesome Rack! Share Some pictures when you have it installed! We would love to see it!

Bryan

Thanks Bryan! The rack is mounted, but I completely missed the step indicating that I should slide bolts into the rack before adding the air deflector, so the front mount is not bolted down yet. I blame the cold/flu that I was dealing with on the weekend... yeah, that's the excuse I'll use. I'll be remedying that little mistake this weekend when I get a little more free time, and get some better photos. However, here is a terrible cell phone photo of things so far.

So far, I like the rack a lot. Very nice materials, and it seems extremely well put-together.

unnamed.jpg

The truck now has it's OME/Bilstein lift kit as well, so proper photos will come this weekend. It's a completely different truck now.

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Bryan! The rack is mounted, but I completely missed the step indicating that I should slide bolts into the rack before adding the air deflector, so the front mount is not bolted down yet. I blame the cold/flu that I was dealing with on the weekend... yeah, that's the excuse I'll use. I'll be remedying that little mistake this weekend when I get a little more free time, and get some better photos. However, here is a terrible cell phone photo of things so far.

So far, I like the rack a lot. Very nice materials, and it seems extremely well put-together.

View attachment 271708

The truck now has it's OME/Bilstein lift kit as well, so proper photos will come this weekend. It's a completely different truck now.

Don't beat yourself up. I myself still make that error when doing installations. haha! I cant wait for more pictures. Glad you enjoyed our products. Hope your feeling better.

-Bryan

KRP

Observer
Roof Rack

Here are some more photos of the FrontRunner SlimLine II rack. Living in Victoria, BC, I was lucking enough to find an RV dealership that puts in orders with FrontRunner, so they were able to order me up all the required parts, and it took about 3 weeks for everything to arrive.

As always, forgive the cell photos.

Length of the rack
CAM00249.jpg

Rear hatch up. 1/2' or so from the rack to the spoiler. I have the tallest version of the spoiler options for the 4th gen 4Runners.
CAM00248.jpg

Rack over the sunroof
CAM00250.jpg

Sunroof closed to show the space between the air deflector and roofline
CAM00253.jpg

The only real issue is that the sunroof does contact the air deflector when it's tilted up fully. I may put 1 or 2 washers to shim the front of the rack up a little bit. I believe that should be enough to give me the space between the rack and glass. Right now the deflector pushes a lot of air into the truck when the sunroof is open, so I may even try removing it to see what the noise is like without it there.
CAM00252.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with the rack. Roof Top Tent will be picked up in a couple of weeks. :)

vicali

Adventurer
Nice rack, interesting to hear an RV shop could bring it in, worth giving our local ones a call!

KRP

Observer
And the lift is now on the truck. The shop managed to level everything out nicely, which creates a dramatic difference in the appearance, and when driving it. Unfortunately, the tires won't be replaced until later in the year. They are still in good enough shape, and will get us through the spring/summer here. Once we get back from our trip to Europe in September, then I'll be looking to replace the Michelin's with Duratrac's. I'm hoping to go up to 285's so I can fill out those wheel wells a little better.

The ride is very nice, compared to the worn out X-REAS system. I have to take it back to the shop this week to replace some bolts/bushings to improve the alignment, but it's driving very nicely right now, and doesn't really feel like it's lifted.

Before:
No Rack.jpg

After:
CAM00254.jpg

KRP

Observer
Nice rack, interesting to hear an RV shop could bring it in, worth giving our local ones a call!

The RV dealership seems to have a group of offroaders working there, so it looks like they started bringing in parts from vendors for their own rigs, and set up the site to allow other's to put in orders as well. They appeared to be mostly Jeep guys, so they bring in AEV, Smittybilt, FrontRunner and a few other vendors. I have a feeling if I inquired, they would probably arrange for other manufacturers. Living on Vancouver Island, parts for the 4Runner are a challenge to get, and usually means lots of shipping charges, or trips to the U.S. to pick things up. All of which depletes my travel budget.

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
Here are some more photos of the FrontRunner SlimLine II rack. Living in Victoria, BC, I was lucking enough to find an RV dealership that puts in orders with FrontRunner, so they were able to order me up all the required parts, and it took about 3 weeks for everything to arrive.

As always, forgive the cell photos.

Length of the rack
View attachment 272111

Rear hatch up. 1/2' or so from the rack to the spoiler. I have the tallest version of the spoiler options for the 4th gen 4Runners.
View attachment 272112

Rack over the sunroof
View attachment 272113

Sunroof closed to show the space between the air deflector and roofline
View attachment 272114

The only real issue is that the sunroof does contact the air deflector when it's tilted up fully. I may put 1 or 2 washers to shim the front of the rack up a little bit. I believe that should be enough to give me the space between the rack and glass. Right now the deflector pushes a lot of air into the truck when the sunroof is open, so I may even try removing it to see what the noise is like without it there.
View attachment 272115

Overall, I'm very happy with the rack. Roof Top Tent will be picked up in a couple of weeks. :)

KRP,

The wind deflectors are designed to be modified slightly. Have you tried bending them at a sharper angle? It may give you the clearance you need and help with wind noise since the wind deflector and the roof of your vehicle is so close.

-Bryan

KRP

Observer
KRP,

The wind deflectors are designed to be modified slightly. Have you tried bending them at a sharper angle? It may give you the clearance you need and help with wind noise since the wind deflector and the roof of your vehicle is so close.

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan... it's great to have you (and the other vendors) part of this community. We have another gorgeous day out on Vancouver Island, so I'll take a look this afternoon at bending the deflectors after I get the battery swapped and some lights changed.

The Tepui Autana RTT has been ordered. We head over to Port Angeles on March 13th to pick it up, and then we'll spend the next 4 days breaking it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles