Kootenay's Pro4X Frontier

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Well today is the day the Titan Swap started. Took way way longer then I thought to get things apart. Broke my breaker bar, and had to cut 5 bolts so far. Got to the inner tie rods, but with out a proper tool I could not get the torque I needed.

kootenay

Playing around with the stock titan control arms. The stock upper control arm has a reinforcement plate welded in, and I found this was also the point where it wanted to contact the coil bucket. Ground it down but didn't get into the weld and gained over 1 1/2" of wheel travel. The upper ball joint is the limiting factor Tomorrow I will see how much it cycles with the shock mounted and the cv joints.

kootenay

Waiting can be the hardest thing.

Turns out the springs that come with the Bilstien 6112 for the first gen Tundra are a little long and stiff for the frontier. I order some replacements from Eibach, but I hate waiting. I am also waiting on some of the extended bump travel tophats from Alldogoffroad Co-op. While I was waiting I decided to rocker guard the Rough Country upper control arms I picked up on sale.
Waiting by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr

Also sorting out my fall trip, looks like I might be headed to Utah and possibly Colorado. I am worried that some of the mountain passes will be closed by mid October in Colorado, so might have to wait some more.

kootenay

Well today is the day the Titan Swap started. Took way way longer then I thought to get things apart. Broke my breaker bar, and had to cut 5 bolts so far. Got to the inner tie rods, but with out a proper tool I could not get the torque I needed.
The solution to the inner tie rods was just adding some heat. When I read the instructions for the new inner tie rods I saw that they used red loctite. Generally that means heat is needed to get them off. So with everything removed and a little heat on the inner tie rods I was able to pop them with a crescent wrench

goFWD

I am also waiting on some of the extended bump travel tophats from Alldogoffroad Co-op.

I had no idea they were making these available for sale, and I just bought a set of their Frontier leaf springs and a u-bolt flip kit. With Glamisdude (unfortunately) MIA, this is good news for the Titan Swap community. Just wanted to say Thank You for making me aware of this.

kootenay

I had no idea they were making these available for sale, and I just bought a set of their Frontier leaf springs and a u-bolt flip kit. With Glamisdude (unfortunately) MIA, this is good news for the Titan Swap community. Just wanted to say Thank You for making me aware of this.
I had found his original posts with the specs for the tophats, and was in the process of finding the raw materials and a local to make them. Then someone on instagram mentioned that Alldogs offroad was selling them, and a price cheaper then I could source the raw materials.

McShakes

So, I've read all 12 pages, love your truck. I have a question about your Lokka. Have you ever had any problems with it, does it work well in conjunction with when you lock the rear i.e. no binding or broken cv's. I am thinking of going the Lokka route instead of an air locker.

Last edited:

kootenay

So, I've read all 12 pages, love your truck. I have a question about your Lokka. Have you ever had any problems with it, does it work well in conjunction with when you lock the rear i.e. no binding or broken cv's. I am thinking of going the Lokka route instead of an air locker.
I have had no issues with the Lokka it is always on. When the rear is locked and the front is locked no issues at all. CV's also held up great. When I switched to the M205 it does not have a Lokka option. If that changes I would put one in

McShakes

I have had no issues with the Lokka it is always on. When the rear is locked and the front is locked no issues at all. CV's also held up great. When I switched to the M205 it does not have a Lokka option. If that changes I would put one in
Thank you for the information, I think you may have finalized my decision.

kootenay

Wow I haven't really posted in a while. Lets use working from home as an excuse to do so.

I have found a few locals in my small city that have been bit by the Nissan bug, it has been really fun getting out with them, instead of the regular Jeep and Toyota crowd.

We have gotten out a few times to do some snow wheeling.

In addition to this I found out that I have been selected to be part of the 4wheeloffroad Overland Expedition for 2020. This should be a fun trip, mellow wheeling but new places and catered dinners! It wraps up at Overland West. And as of yesterday it has been postponed to late July.
My front winch died, working with the supplier to resolve this issue
The front right bed mount has completely failed. Building a replacement for it. Will take pics this week.
As per usual I am more active on instagram. It is easier to keep content updated on there. However I do really enjoy the forum format when I have time.
This post should get cleaned up as the week progresses.

Last edited:

(none)

Adventurer
Updates first.
I found out that I have been selected to be part of the 4wheeloffroad Overland Expedition for 2020. This should be a fun trip, mellow wheeling but new places and catered dinners! It wraps up at Overland West.
My front winch died, working with the supplier to resolve this issue
The front right bed mount has completely failed. Building a replacement for it. Will take pics this week.
Decided to go with a Coastal Offroad rear bumper kit. Decided to stick with Aluminum and getting the dual swing out, because if I go single I will only regret it. Later today I will get some more pics up. As per usual I am more active on instagram. It is easier to keep content updated on there. However I do really enjoy the forum format when I have time.
This post should get cleaned up as the week progresses.

Please keep us updated on the Coastal Bumper. I have an ARB rear like you. I like the way it looks, but drags often off road, i've been looking for a high clearance rear bumper.

kootenay

Please keep us updated on the Coastal Bumper. I have an ARB rear like you. I like the way it looks, but drags often off road, i've been looking for a high clearance rear bumper.
I keep debating between cutting up the arb to make it drag less, or just getting one I know will not drag.

(none)

Adventurer
I keep debating between cutting up the arb to make it drag less, or just getting one I know will not drag.

Same. i tow frequently, so i need the receiver but keep thinking of at least cutting some of that sheetmetal piece on either side that bends everytime it hits

kootenay

Winch questions. The winch I had for 3 years died already. I can get the parts needed to fix it for about $400. Or I can buy a new Smittybilt XRC for $350 and put my synthetic line on it. Or for $800 I could get the new Smittybilt Gen 3 with Synthetic or the Warn VR10S with synthetic and turn my old winch line into a winch extension. Or the final decision is to leave the bumper empty and save the 40lbs. I really did like having the winch, so I think the last option is not a long term option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles