Kong Coolers…Made in the USA

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Driving thru the PNW last week, we passed by a manufacturing building that had signage on it indicating Kong Coolers were made there.

So not being familiar with this brand, I later looked up on the web to see who this was. I was happily surprised to read these are a newer entry into the heavy duty coolers made in the USA*market, and supposedly can keep ice for 5-12 days (depending on the size of the box).

40FD0526-3448-4465-B181-5A7FB6A2EFEB.jpeg
Yes, they’re pricey but seem very well designed and built and offer some useful added on options. These coolers are made by a subsidiary of a long time US plastic products manufacturing company, so there’s lots of history behind them.

Do any of y’all have experience with one of these guys?

Here’s a good review I found:
https://www.thecoolerzone.com/kong-cooler-review/

*It seems that not all of the popular, better known brands of big hd coolers may actually be made in the US, so buyer beware. I was surprised to read that in the recent past, some of the Yeti products allegedly may not be manufactured in the US but elsewhere. See, for example this write up:

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
BTW, they do offer discounts to active military, veterans, first responders, or teachers!

Grizzly, Bison, Cordova, Taiga and Orca heavy duty coolers also seem to be made in the USA. Any of these might be good alternatives to Yeti if the place of manufacture motivates your decision.

Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
Nice! Always happy to see more made in the USA.
Just to add on these coolers.
They are certified bear resistant per IGBC.

COOLERS REQUIRE USE OF BOLTS OR PADLOCKS TO BE BEAR-RESISTANT
Kong Cooler, Model 25 QT - IGBC Certification No. 5147 (Approved 5-12-17)
Kong Cooler, Model 50 QT - IGBC Certification No. 5148 (Approved 5-12-17)
Kong Cooler, Model 70 QT - IGBC Certification No. 5149 (Approved 5-12-17)
Kong Cooler, Model 110 QT - IGBC Certification No. 5225 (Approved 5-4-18)

Another option that is made in the US is the Cabelas Polar Cap coolers. These interesting have a pressure release valve to open the lid. I have the 40 version of this cooler and that is not a gimmick, you can hear the cooler seal almost like a vacuum sound. Do not push the button and it is a pain to open. Push the button and it releases the pressure and opens great.
All of these are also certified bear proof with a lock or bolt as the Kong cooler are.
While the handles on the Cabelas units are great to carry compared to just ropes, they also stick out a lot which can be a pain.

DCH109

Adventurer
I will add on the ice retention. Prep is important. Pre cool your cooler the night before helps a lot, and use bricks of ice if you can get them as they will last longer.
This goes for any cooler.
Years ago I used a Coleman large fishing cooler for a week of 4x4 camping in the summer in BC. 1 block of Ice lasted the whole week.

Another brand is Maluna coolers, they have a unique hinge and closing system. I own a couple and love them. They also a pressure system for Keeping the system air tight. They were only sold direct for years, that recently changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior