Kodiak tent question for owners

Honu

lost on the mainland
Ok curious if all the kodiak canvas tents have a seam on the ceiling ?
Got a 10x14 and set it up noticed a seam about 12-18 inches from one side running the same direction as the ridge pole ?
Seems like it might be the case ? No biggy just curious :)

Any tips etc... In setup take down etc...

Looking forward to getting it out in a few weeks :)

Got it setup in our living room and pretty darn nice tent used some super heavy furniture where the tent steaks go and it worked :)

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
Honu,

You will love your Kodiak. I do not remember a seem, but I have the 9x8. I have only used eight stakes when I set it up. Never in super windy conditions so no problems. Staking it takes most of the time. I would use all if I knew the wind was going to be bad. A small buddy heater works great to take the chill off. Looking forward to some actions shots.

TexGX

Honu

lost on the mainland
Thanks :) have a buddy heater we used with the conqueror plus with little kids it's a nice luxury :)

theksmith

Explorer
we have the bigger one. it's only been out a handful of times, but this family of 3 loves finally having a really roomy quality tent! we also use a little buddy heater when cold and it heats it up to sweltering levels in just moments.

don't recall where the seams are in the roof right now...

do be careful when hammering the stakes... one time the ground was fighting me and by the last couple stakes i got a little wild with the hammer. i accidentally hit part of the tent where it was pooched out near the base and this pinched the fabric between the hammer and a rock, which promptly put tiny hole in the tent fabric. i used a small square of Type-A Tear-Aid to patch it and there has been no problems tearing or leaking.

i also use a plain old blue tarp for a footprint. the tent base is thick enough by itself, but it's just easier to roll up the tarp separate if there is mud or even the standard condensation & debris stuck to the bottom.

P1030448.JPG

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
will have to be careful hammering the pegs in :) thanks

was going to get a inside tarp to lay down also since our dog will be camping with us keep the floor nicer :)

under neath I was going to use shade cloth like I did with our trailer annex setup :) love that stuff or could put down a tarp instead ? thought about a footprint from the springbar site maybe ?

FFMessick

Honu, do you miss your trailer at all. I have been thinking about selling mine also. I have looked at those canvas tents before, seem to be very nice. If I remember correctly there was one other manufacture, possibly springbar, any thoughts on which one is better.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Honu, do you miss your trailer at all. I have been thinking about selling mine also. I have looked at those canvas tents before, seem to be very nice. If I remember correctly there was one other manufacture, possibly springbar, any thoughts on which one is better.

yes miss it quite a bit but it did not fit the kids and dog on top also the wife really did not like the ladder and our 3 year old rolling at night and wanting to jump off all the time ? so time to move on ! also wanting to be on the same level together the up down for what she wants to be happy did not work out :)
SO tent it is
can say this week though the tent setup is longer to setup and much dirtier inside ;) hahahaha
unloading loading into a tent setting up bags cots etc..
setup time in our trailer 5 minutes to a hour now about 30 minutes to 2_ hours depending on how fancy we go :)

since we are camping with some friends that dont have off road abilities in camp sites the tent is nice as you are not setup on the PAD though ?

I want a Kimberly Karavan like Brads now :) just to come up with the extra $100K hahaha

springbar and kodiak ? since I could never get a springbar to see in person cant say for sure I asked a bunch and got some thought and determined its personal as kodiak owners say kodiaks are nicer and springbar owners say springbar are nicer !

our HUGE adjustment is downsizing to a car !!! determining what we need since we have a small rig 4 of us a dog is TIGHT so either a bigger rig or less stuff

my thoughts are if their is not something making you want to sell it like the spouse not happy or tired of towing or limiting you ? keep it or try tenting for a bit :)
if we had a big vehicle tent camping would be easier also :)

this weekend the wife was saying OH I MISS THE TRAILER !! cause it took us with our new gear new setup about 2 hours setup 2 hours take down but we like to camp in style :)
and we were used to so many luxuries along with us and were playing with ideas along the way to streamline things ! my goal is a hour setup hour take down and I am OK with that but no longer ! short overnight stays I want a 5-10 minute setup

tent wise we have gone back and forth with nylon/polyester tents ? I love them for pack size hate them for being hot in the heat and cold in the cold where canvas is the opposite :)

this week we tried out another nylon tent setup and liked it for the most part as a good balance of living space and sleeping area
we have thought of butting the kodiak up to it for best of both worlds :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne