Kodiak Bow Flex for Beach Camping

ajbell

Hi All
I am thinking of buying a Kodiak Bow Flex 10x10 tent and it looks like it is not free standing and the base needs staked out .
I was planning a beach camping trip and wondered would this be tent be suitable and could I stake it out correctly on a beach?
I assume I would need to get sand stakes.
Does anyone have experience of using the Kodiak on a beach?

Mucker

I have camped a couple times at Pismo Beach with the Kodiak 10x10. Pismo gets *very* windy, and the Kodiak did very well. However, I did not use the standard tent stakes. I used some conduit cut to 18" length, instead. For the next trip, I have 18" Lag bolts that I drive in with a small dewalt impact wrench.

Superduty

Adventurer
I have camped a couple times at Pismo Beach with the Kodiak 10x10. Pismo gets *very* windy, and the Kodiak did very well. However, I did not use the standard tent stakes. I used some conduit cut to 18" length, instead. For the next trip, I have 18" Lag bolts that I drive in with a small dewalt impact wrench.

Do you think the 18" lag bolts are sufficient at Pismo? Is that getting deep enough in the sand to get some bite in solid pack? What diameter lag bolts are you using? From where did you purchase?

Thanks

Mucker

I just checked, and it turns out I didn't buy 18". Instead, I got 24" x .5" lag bolts, and I do think they are sufficient at Pismo. I bought them on Amazon when they went on sale.

Superduty

Adventurer
I just checked, and it turns out I didn't buy 18". Instead, I got 24" x .5" lag bolts, and I do think they are sufficient at Pismo. I bought them on Amazon when they went on sale.

24" lag bolts....those are some long bolts.

I use 8" x 3/8" for desert camping and so far they have worked great. Much better than pounding in stakes and then trying to remove them.

i went with the 3/8" because they fit through the loops or eyelets at the corners of my tents. I am not sure 1/2" will fit through easily. Do you put the lag bolts directly through the loops?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier