known Power wagon issues

PowerWagner

Explorer
As an owner -
Steering - gets lose over time
Lockers - Rear difficult to engage and actuator can be subject to failure if towing
Gas mileage - atrocious
Service - dealer knows jack ******** about these trucks. If you've got a good mechanic or self skilled you'll be okay but issues like locker failure, etc. dealers really cant help. Have to service the front double Cardone (sp.) every oil change. Every dealer says "its a sealed system, don't worry about it"
Mine has had three idler pullies replace.
Famous hemi tick which is an exhaust manifold bolt break - fixed it once.
Pinon seals both axles subject to leakage
Its a **********'n rig for its size but used as marketed has left me wanting. 80K on mine.

Wallygator

Adventurer
As an owner -
Steering - gets lose over time
Lockers - Rear difficult to engage and actuator can be subject to failure if towing
Gas mileage - atrocious
Service - dealer knows jack **** about these trucks. If you've got a good mechanic or self skilled you'll be okay but issues like locker failure, etc. dealers really cant help. Have to service the front double Cardone (sp.) every oil change. Every dealer says "its a sealed system, don't worry about it"
Mine has had three idler pullies replace.
Famous hemi tick which is an exhaust manifold bolt break - fixed it once.
Pinon seals both axles subject to leakage
Its a **********'n rig for its size but used as marketed has left me wanting. 80K on mine.

This is the type of stuff I'm talking about. 80K miles is nothing and to me, a lot of issues.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
That's a lot of issues, even for a dodge.

I wonder if the lack of lube on that front driveshaft is what is grenading our transfer cases?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
There is zero competition for a PW, unless you build it yourself. The RapTurd is not a real truck, so it does not count. Fun, though.

The Hemi tick is separate from the exhaust leak. They all tick, but only a few crack their exhaust manifolds. My current GMC 5.7 Vortec has a cracked manifold. My first Toyota truck cracked a manifold. It happens.

Lubing the front driveshaft is a piece of cake as long as you have the right tip for your grease gun. When I have a shop do the oil change on mine, I always remind the mechanic to lube that point, I make sure he has a tip that will fit, and I have been known to have him tell me how he is going to find that grease fitting.

In a previous post I forgot to mention that mine has developed a strange A/C problem when the truck is driven fast, under load, in hot weather. Still sorting that one out, but it's not a specific PW problem.

Re the quality of new trucks from the Big 3 (plus Toyota and Nissan), I just saw an article from Road & Track (I think), that compared five new half-tons, and the Ram came out on top in their estimation. I'll try to find it and post a link. My PW is the best truck I have ever owned, and possibly the best vehicle, period.

PowerWagner

Explorer
There is zero competition for a PW, unless you build it yourself. The RapTurd is not a real truck, so it does not count. Fun, though.

The Hemi tick is separate from the exhaust leak. They all tick, but only a few crack their exhaust manifolds. My current GMC 5.7 Vortec has a cracked manifold. My first Toyota truck cracked a manifold. It happens.

Lubing the front driveshaft is a piece of cake as long as you have the right tip for your grease gun. When I have a shop do the oil change on mine, I always remind the mechanic to lube that point, I make sure he has a tip that will fit, and I have been known to have him tell me how he is going to find that grease fitting.

In a previous post I forgot to mention that mine has developed a strange A/C problem when the truck is driven fast, under load, in hot weather. Still sorting that one out, but it's not a specific PW problem.

Re the quality of new trucks from the Big 3 (plus Toyota and Nissan), I just saw an article from Road & Track (I think), that compared five new half-tons, and the Ram came out on top in their estimation. I'll try to find it and post a link. My PW is the best truck I have ever owned, and possibly the best vehicle, period.

Agreed - no other factory vehicle sans the Rubicon can do what this big pig can. I love this truck just not the cost. and if used for real back country 40 miles plus from anyone adventure which I have and do, one can not be worried that an issue may occur when one is far from any real help. Would I do it differently - no. Do I have unmet expectations, yes, mostly around the dealerships ability to help maintain or repair the vehicle.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
no other factory vehicle sans the Rubicon can do what this big pig can.

Rubicon can't do what the PW can do, because the Rubicon is not a truck. I bought my '08 Tundra from a buddy who wanted a Rubicon. He got the Rubicon and three years later he dumped it and went back to a new Tundra TuRD Pro. Nothing really wrong with the Tundra, but it's not nearly the truck that the PW is. He wanted to replace the Rubi with a PW but a bone stock PW won't clear the garage overhead in his office parking structure.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My fears of Ram trucks really aren't founded in the newer models. I have very little concern of the front-end, almost every Hemi I have ever been around ticks, and a lot of electronic locker vehicles can be a PITA to engage/disengage from time to time. I know nothing about the front drive shaft but I will certainly keep an eye on that now. From a die-hard Ford guy I can honestly say that my Power Wagon has exceeded all expectations so far and I have few concerns about it's long term reliability. Dealers of all makes suck these days, it's not just Ram/FCA or even just domestics, some of the worst experiences I have had on the service side of ownership have come from Toyota/Lexus.

Explorerinil

Observer
It's an FCA. They are getting better. Maybe the next gen will fix the minor issues. I have never owned a Ram/Dodge/FCA vehicle but I am warming up to it. Out of the big 3 they may just be the best.
Your right they are getting better, I have owned 7 dodge trucks. I have never had any major problems with any of them, I feel that allot of the issues people hear are rumors or issues that have been resolved along time ago. The fist and finish has improved since 2010. The 4th gen refresh is going to be unvailed on the 14th, with the 5th gen out in 2022. I like the simplicity of dodge trucks, the solid front axle and the cummins engine, I would consider one if I were you.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Your right they are getting better, I have owned 7 dodge trucks. I have never had any major problems with any of them, I feel that allot of the issues people hear are rumors or issues that have been resolved along time ago. The fist and finish has improved since 2010. The 4th gen refresh is going to be unvailed on the 14th, with the 5th gen out in 2022. I like the simplicity of dodge trucks, the solid front axle and the cummins engine, I would consider one if I were you.

I think you are right about FCA's reputation or issues with the truck. I mean people still bring up the front end problems and that was solved years ago. I am definitely considering one but will not be seriously considering until about 2021-22. At this point on the Ram side I am considering the PW, a stripped 6.4 work truck as a blank canvas, all the way to a manual cummins or a aisin equipped cummins. I don't need a diesel but they are tempting, except for the cost of ownership. An the detuned manual trans cummins is very tempting. I believe that truck would fall apart around that drivetrain, has to be very reliable......Then there are the other vehicles like the ZR2, new Ranger, F350 gas, etc, then what are the new Toyotas gonna be like???....So as you can see I have a lot of thinking to do. :D

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I've lubed mine every 6K - needle applicator proper lithium grease. Transfer case - Kaboom!

Bummer. I'm limiting my time this winter with my hubs locked. Used to lock them all winter, but the Ford case might be similar to Dodges.

Not rumors. We still have front end problems with Dodges. They eat ball joints. It's not the end of the world though.

js9234

Observer
Not with the 2013 and newer models.
Bummer. I'm limiting my time this winter with my hubs locked. Used to lock them all winter, but the Ford case might be similar to Dodges.

Not rumors. We still have front end problems with Dodges. They eat ball joints. It's not the end of the world though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online