Knowing your Center of Gravity

shade

Most often that is affected by a heavy right foot more than the static center of gravity.... which is the topic of this thread.
Quite right to clue in everyone that static calculations will only give a false sense of security.

The other scary thing is the trend of the industry to just lift, and throw weight on the roof rather than engineer a low roll center.
I love this design
View attachment 545948

Or this from 30 years ago.
View attachment 545949
The Lower Forty Concept comes to mind.

1571689165777.png

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That is how I built my flatty...as low as practical.....
P1010094.jpg
It takes more work, but it oh so worth it in the end.

85_Ranger4x4

There's a grain elevator scale left on 24/7 near me I use the same way.

They might not be the most accurate thing to use to measure axle weight. They are made to have a semi tractor balancing on them so there is a good chance IMO the back end of a Jeep/pickup on one end is going to skew it.

I know when we used to weigh pulling tractors on them you had to get in the middle or you had no chance of ever getting a consistent weight, we had to be +/- 10% of our weight class and how you were sitting on the scale would mess with it.

Measure both ends and then weigh the whole vehicle and compare A+B should be close to C.

No idea what my CGI is or any of that. I just try to avoid the crazy crap. Once well placed bounce and all the calculations and figures are going to go out the window anyway.

shade

They might not be the most accurate thing to use to measure axle weight. They are made to have a semi tractor balancing on them so there is a good chance IMO the back end of a Jeep/pickup on one end is going to skew it.

I know when we used to weigh pulling tractors on them you had to get in the middle or you had no chance of ever getting a consistent weight, we had to be +/- 10% of our weight class and how you were sitting on the scale would mess with it.

Measure both ends and then weigh the whole vehicle and compare A+B should be close to C.

No idea what my CGI is or any of that. I just try to avoid the crazy crap. Once well placed bounce and all the calculations and figures are going to go out the window anyway.
I drive a Tacoma, so basically the same weight at a loaded semi. :)

Good point, though. The scale I mentioned is accurate enough to get my weight right when I exit the truck, and the maths work out as you suggested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles