Know of a reputable, great price point camera gear website?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I recently had a D810, Nikkor G 14-24 2.8, and 50mm 1.8 nicked and NEED to start replacing the gear. The price point seems pretty consistent, but there are some exceptionally low adverts. That, of course, scares me. I'm selling my backup d7100 (on here in the expo equipment for sale) to help fund this rebuild.

Have any of you found a place that has really dependable, good deals on cameras and gear? I am nearly to the point of shopping Nikon refurbished, but wanted to check here first.

Thanks!

Pathfinder

Adventurer
I have dealt with B&H Photo Video ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com ) and Adorama ( http://www.adorama.com/?utm_term=3W...m_source=rflaid912660&cvosrc=affiliate.912660 ) for years. Their prices are competitive, rarely beaten by honest merchants, they stand behind their sales and if they don't have it photographically speaking, you probably don't need it.

When photographic prices seem too good to be true, you can usually bet they are "too good to be true". Either the price is not as specified, or the gear is not available but they will charge you credit card and make you wait for shipment sometime in the future. Or you might never see the gear you ordered and paid for.

B&H and Adorama are both responsible, reliable, trustworthy and honest photo merchants. Shop with them with security of a professional, honest, and trustworthy vendor. I have and I will continue to deal with B&H and Adorama.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Thanks - I know them both well and they have gotten many of my dollars over the years, but they are exactly on par with Amazon, who's customer service is second to none. I am looking for a reputable discount shop - a place I can save some coin without grey market or upscale worries.

Any experience with 42nd Street or Abe's of Maine? VERY mixed reviews for both.

Last edited:

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
KEH is where I buy my used gear - maybe 15 pieces over the last 10 years. Bodies, lenses & etc. Always a good experience. They also buy gear (want to make a small fortune? Spend a large fortune on new gear then sell it to KEH...)
B&H & Adorama get most of my new gear$$$ Although I did buy a used lens from B&H last week.
I've bought from Tristate (another NY outfit) and Abe's of Main a couple of times without drama.

Interesting side note on NY photo stores. Leica in the '30s sent increasing numbers of Jewish employes to NY to save them from the Nazi's...That's why you can't buy from B&H on Saturdays & Holy days... Moe

BretEdge

Adventurer
I buy almost all of my camera equipment from Pictureline in Salt Lake City. I've bought from B&H before too, and they've always been fine, but Pictureline is locally owned and their service is much more personal. Highly recommend that you at least check them out.

Pictureline

nwoods

Expedition Leader
For Canon stuff, the used market on POTN (Photography-On-The-Net) forum has been excellent for me.

photo nomad

Adventurer
Thanks - I know them both well and they have gotten many of my dollars over the years, but they are exactly on par with Amazon, who's customer service is second to none. I am looking for a reputable discount shop - a place I can save some coin without grey market or upscale worries.

Any experience with 42nd Street or Abe's of Maine? VERY mixed reviews for both.

Check out B&H's used section. Abe's is a legit company, but you will always get a call from them to "confirm" your order - cue the hard up sell. For Canon gear check out the site Canonpricewatch for deals. Also, don't be afraid to check out Craigslist, I've bought and sold a lot of camera gear on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HelenOster

Just dropping by to say 'thank you' to you all for the fabulous testimonials for Adorama Camera.

Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions or needs. I am here to help and to make sure that all your experiences with Adorama Camera are fantastic!

JackW

Explorer
B&H, KEH and Adorama are the primary sources for my camera addiction. I'm lusting after a Canon 1Dx to take advantage of the advancements in ISO levels, battery technology and focusing over my 1DsMKII - which is still a great camera.
I've had some good luck with local craigslist but the main players have never disappointed me.

I had four friends who were pro photographers that all recommended B&H and Adorama to me over twenty years ago. I know a guy who has worked at KEH for over 25 years. All of these firms are top notch.

Helen - really cool video - thanks.

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
I've bought Canon refurbished and been completely delighted. I wouldn't hesistate to do the same with Nikon refurbished if I were interested in something.

Note that Abe's of Maine is a very different company now doing business under the former company's name. No personal experience, but check online reviews before you go down that path.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have been buying from B&H since I discovered them a few years ago not long after I got into the DSLRs. I love that place! Always spectacular service and extra goodies when you buy bigger ticket items. I inquired about the odd hours once. I don't remember what the answer was but that is interesting to know!

I was going to buy a Canon 6D from 42nd Street but it was always "out of stock". Something just seemed pretty fishy about them. I know there are some Jersey stores that are notorious for doing bait-and-switch on people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles