Knockoff ARB (HF Air) air compressor

XJLI

Adventurer
I've googled my hardest, and can't find much information about these. Some info here and there on there Chinese ARB lockers, but nothing on the compressors. I specifically want to use the CKMA12 because I know I can mount it under the hood of my LR4. I have a VIAIR 300P and it's fine, but I don't want to have to carry it in the back of the truck all summer. There are certain things I don't buy knockoffs of, but most of ARB's stuff is made in China anyway, and the copy is nearly half the price of the ARB.

Here's the ARB:
https://ok4wd.com/arb-on-board-high-performance-12-volt-air-compressor-ckma12

And the Chinese knockoff:
eBay link
and another

Anyone have experience with it?

EDIT 2/7/23: Looks like someone reported all of these to eBay and got them all taken down. So here’s a link to one on aliexpress. Searching “CKMA12” gets you the single, “CKMTA12” the double.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I googled around on these too before going with the napa compressor that's faster than the arb dual.

It appears that these re or unlabled compressor are exactly the same as the ARB inside and out. My guess is they come from the same factory. I previously had an ARB dual compressor; the prices have gotten out of hand for what it is and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the HF/unlabled ones.

Last edited:

pith helmet

I was looking at them on the HF site last night. While I like quality tools and despise design theft, most of everything is Chinese made now so I will save some bucks when I can unless it is a tool I know I will use really hard and a whole lot. I built my house and two shops with a $99 HF framing nailer.
I am thinking about those compressors and a HF winch. Have a WARN on my work truck, but the Jeep is just for fun.

XJLI

Adventurer
I was looking at them on the HF site last night. While I like quality tools and despise design theft, most of everything is Chinese made now so I will save some bucks when I can unless it is a tool I know I will use really hard and a whole lot. I built my house and two shops with a $99 HF framing nailer.
I am thinking about those compressors and a HF winch. Have a WARN on my work truck, but the Jeep is just for fun.

Yea, I buy (and prefer to buy) quality goods from small companies all the time. But there’s no “bespoke overland air compressor” manufacturer around, and I haven’t heard the best things about ARB’s customer service anyway. This compressor isn’t from harbor freight (not sure if you got them confused, google sure does), but I’ve seen cheap Chinesium winches work great, and often outperform the basic Warn stuff… which have a totally different and obvious build quality differences from older USA made ones and the 8274. I think almost all of their winches are made overseas now.

I loved my CO2 tank, and had it for years, but I’m uncomfortable driving with it bolted in the passenger compartment behind my 1 year old. I don’t want to cut up or lose interior space, and there isn’t a lot of room under the hood of these LR4s for something more powerful. I’ll pick one of these up and report back after the summer beach season is over with how it worked.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Aside from looking cool, what does the ARB really offer?
It's compact and lots of aftermarket companies make custom fit mount brackets. It's also robust.

On my gx those factors led me to the arb. On my new truck I have plenty of room in the bed for the maxi trac that's much faster and $100.

dstefan

It's compact and lots of aftermarket companies make custom fit mount brackets. It's also robust.

It produces a very high volume of air. I can fill my 34' tires up from low 20 lbs psi in about 1-2 minutes a tire. It produces enough CFM to run air tools (w/o a tank). If one compressor goes bad, it will still fill your tires. The volume and pressure out the hose end makes it hugely useful for blowing off the back of my camper to keep the dust out. I used to use CO2 with my Tacoma and it was quick (aside from freeze ups), but you really can't blow stuff off with it without using the supply up too fast.

All that said, if the NAPA is what was claimed and cheaper, may be better value. I have my ARB plumbed to a rear bumper chuck. It's probably my most favorite thing on my new build.

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator

On my gx those factors led me to the arb. On my new truck I have plenty of room in the bed for the maxi trac that's much faster and $100.
That's the thing. It's not really more compact or robust than comparable stuff. It looks cool though.

Superduty

Adventurer
I googled around on these too before going with the napa compressor that's faster than the arb dual.

It appears that these re or unlabled compressor are exactly the same as the ARB inside and out. My guess is they come from the same factory. I previously had an ARB dual compressor; the prices have gotten out of hand for what it is and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the HF/unlabled ones.

What is the Napa compressor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94