Knife Experts - Sharpening

CSG

Explorer
I'm kinda like Andrew in that I simply want a sharp knife. I don't have the patience that some guys do to reprofile or polish. I've found the Sharpmaker works pretty damn well for all my needs. Hair popping sharp is what I expect and achieve. I have no interest in shaving with my knives. One caveat is that a sharpener like the Sharpmaker is for *maintaining* an edge. Repairing a damaged edge will take forever.

On my Scandi knife, I use my regular cheap old two sided diamond stone. I use what I assume is the same technique sushi guys use on their knives. Hand on the handle, hand on the spine, knife straight across the stone, then drag it backwards with some consistent pressure sharpening and just light pressure to keep the angle and polish when pushing the other way, in the "cutting" direction, working along the blade. I go until the burr is all along the edge. Flip the knife over, same on the other side, and with both grits. Then I strop it on my belt, 50 times on each side, then back and forth between each side a bunch more times. It gets my SS Frosts Mora razor sharp. Different grinds and profiles I use some different techniques, but the same tools, and strop the same. Something I did notice once, I bought a cheap leather belt at the thrift store to keep as a dedicated strop, and suddenly none of my knives would end up sharp. I tried the belt again, and all was fine again. So, that might be something to look at. My belt is OLD, and I wear it every day. I guess it still works great.

GregSplett

Adventurer
Too me a good knife is one that is easy to sharpen.The good old fashioned Buck 110 comes to mind.I hate fighting to get an edge on a hard steeled knife.

adamhoward

Deluxe Controlled is a nice Angle Knife Sharpening System. You can try it.
You can also Check out bladeforum for more queries. There are lots of experienced guys who are willing to help the people.

tkrrox

I'm kinda like Andrew in that I simply want a sharp knife. I don't have the patience that some guys do to reprofile or polish. I've found the Sharpmaker works pretty damn well for all my needs. Hair popping sharp is what I expect and achieve. I have no interest in shaving with my knives. One caveat is that a sharpener like the Sharpmaker is for *maintaining* an edge. Repairing a damaged edge will take forever.

You can order coarser ceramic for the sharpmaker that will make fixing or reprofiling less painful. I use a tormek to profile or fix a bad edge and then go to either a sharpmaker or the cheap lansky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

case

Observer
You can order coarser ceramic for the sharpmaker that will make fixing or reprofiling less painful. I use a tormek to profile or fix a bad edge and then go to either a sharpmaker or the cheap lansky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The diamond rods for the Sharpmaker are very useful for anyone wanting to do more than touch ups on a knife.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I gave up on knives a long time ago. I sharpen my own woodworking tools on water stones, but for knives, I send them to a service. There is a local mobile sharpening service that does pro kitchen knives at restaurants. He also sets up at farmers markets on weekends and sharpens anything for anyone. I take all of my kitchen knives, pocket knives, axes, shears and trimmers, and scissors to this guy at least once per year, sometimes twice for kitchen knives.

I would guess that lots of places have similar services. google is your friend there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles