Klean Kanteen: Stainless Steel Bottles

jdlobb

Adventurer
So I just got a great deal on a couple of 40oz wide mouth bottles by Klean Kanteen. Does anybody else have experience with this brand?

I've been looking for a good stainless steel alternative to Nalgene bottles for a while that wasn't outrageously expensive.

any feedback on how long you can/should keep water in these bottles and it still be safe/appetizing?

products_category_composite_wide2.jpg

I was also thinking about ordering a few of the 64oz bottles and 16oz food containers, for bulk supplies.

Thoughts?

h2os2

Adventurer
The Klean Kanteens are great! I have a lot of different sizes and use at least 2 a day during workouts. Haven't had any metallic taste. The insulated ones are better to keep a drink colder all day, the single walled ones will sweat a little on the outside. Don't put them in a freezer with water or any other liquid in them, they will bulge or split, done it before :(. The longest I ever left water in them for and still drank from it was a week, although it was left in the fridge. I read someplace else could store water in them for more than 2 weeks as an emergency water in your truck. Check out there pint cups too, they are a nice beer cup.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Great great water bottles. I have a 40oz one that I have been using for the last 3-4 years. I drink a lot of water and the problem I always find is the cap/mouth piece always breaks or stops working or whatever. This one rules. It is very sturdy and thick and the hasnt broken on me yet and my water bottles get beat to ********. Like stated above, if you're going to put in cold water, it will start to sweat and you may get water rings on your table. I also love the wide mouth on these because its metal and not plastic. What I always hated about nalgene, other than the hype, was the plastic rims on the mouth piece. I could always feel the lip of it when I took a sip. Also, since the nalgene is plastic/rubber, the threads on the cap always got stripped after periodic use and wouldnt stay closed any longer. The longest I have gone without new water in one is maybe 3 days or so. After the 3 days it doesnt smell at all and doesnt have the metallic taste to it. I like to keep mine clean so I hand wash it about 2 times a week to keep it fresh. It will start to smell after 2 weeks of not washing the mouth piece.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
You can get sippy-cup and baby-bottle nipple tops for them, if you have children. We actually first got these for our kids when they were toddlers, and those original bottles are still going strong 5 years later.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I bought and use this double wall insulated SS bottles.
these rock n keep fluids warm or cold for hrs....
Lifeline 7500 Silver Stainless Steel Growler - 64 oz. Capacity

81hfVupHMDL._SL1500_.jpg

libarata

Expedition Leader
Never experienced rust or off taste. The longest I had water in it an one time was 45 days. It was stolen the day after I drank the water on the 45th day, right alongside my toolbox, and tools.

These are manufactured in the USA, but I have not had the chance to purchase one to find out how they are. http://www.libertybottles.com

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We have several and the only complaint we have about our Klean Kanteen bottles is the bottoms on all of ours have become rounded so the bottles would wobble. Had to hammer the bottoms flat on every bottle we own.

Keen Kanteen makes an incredible pint glass that is vacuum insulated. I drink everything out of it. Amazing how long it will keep things cold.

I use Hydro Flask for all my other growler or water stuff. Local company here in Bend and a bit more rugged in my opinion.

jdlobb

Adventurer
the Klean Kanteen website says the mouth is 54mm (2.125in) wide. I can't find the specs for Nalgene anywhere and don't have one available to measure. Can anybody tell me how they compare? It looks a little smaller in pictures.

Also, can anybody attest to whether or not they fit in equipment pouches built for Nalgene bottles? They look a little taller, and they have a slightly higher capacity.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
the Klean Kanteen website says the mouth is 54mm (2.125in) wide. I can't find the specs for Nalgene anywhere and don't have one available to measure. Can anybody tell me how they compare? It looks a little smaller in pictures.

Also, can anybody attest to whether or not they fit in equipment pouches built for Nalgene bottles? They look a little taller, and they have a slightly higher capacity.

I think the mouth is the same. I need to double-check my current day-pack rig, but I'm 99.99% certain I'm running a matched set of these SmarTube drink-tube adaptors with the same widemouth lids on both a Klean Kanteen and a Nalgene. There may be a difference in the way the companies "spec" the lid, because Nalgene calls their widemouth bottles a 63mm cap. However there are multiple websites were you can see people reporting that KK, Nalgene, and 3rd-party (capCAP, etc.) tops all interchange.

I like to carry at least one stainless drink bottle because it doubles as a way to boil water in emergencies. Yes, the taller stainless bottles generally fit into the same spaces Nalgenes fit into, but because they're taller, they aren't necessarily as secure unless the pocket is deeper than normal.

My last two hiking rigs have been Mountainsmith Tours. The pre-2012 version had pockets that were barely tall enough to hold the taller bottle, but had an easily adjustable tensioner so you could cinch it after inserting the bottle, even while on your back. The 2012 revised pack had slightly taller pockets, which seems good, but the adjuster was changed and tall bottles interfere slightly with the load straps now. Overall, the bottle is held more securely, but its such that you can't reach back and easily grab the bottle anymore, hence I added the hydration tube adapters so now I can drink from the bite valves without pulling the bottle.

iCHLzkUl.jpg

(Not my pack, but you can see Nalgenes in 2012+ pockets here)

jdlobb

Adventurer
specifically I'm hoping it fits in to the Maxpedition 10x5 bottle holder. I think it should, but i'm worried i might lose the ability to use the pouch in the top of the cover for storage.

0325F_detail.jpg

romz26

Observer
Ive been using one since 2009. It is beat but I still like it over anything else. I also got the sport top for it and will not go back.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Just a follow-up to confirm: I am using the same SmarTube caps on a 40oz KleanKanteen and a 32oz Nalgene. The KK is about 3/4" taller, but some of that is cap design, so they're actually closer than I remember...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke