Klaus - 2006 Montero Build

pwjazz

I'm curious how switching from Ironman to Bilstein struts will affect suspension travel, so I took some before measurements today for comparison. I measured 1.375" of down travel from jacking up the vehicle. I expected that a lift would negatively impact down travel, but that seems like less than I expected for some reason(?). Granted, the vehicle was unladen except for half a tank of fuel...

plh

Explorer
I'm curious how switching from Ironman to Bilstein struts will affect suspension travel, so I took some before measurements today for comparison. I measured 1.375" of down travel from jacking up the vehicle. I expected that a lift would negatively impact down travel, but that seems like less than I expected for some reason(?). Granted, the vehicle was unladen except for half a tank of fuel...

I don't think the lift brand will effect the total travel at all in a Gen 3. The amount the arms can travel is a fixed distance, so unless you move the pivot points and change the arm length its not going to change.

pwjazz

I don't think the lift brand will effect the total travel at all in a Gen 3. The amount the arms can travel is a fixed distance, so unless you move the pivot points and change the arm length its not going to change.

That's my expectation too, I just figured this'll be a good opportunity to verify. I'm a little concerned that my ride height will change somewhat with the Bilstein struts if the spring seat is at a different height than the Ironman shocks, but IIUC the Ironman shocks are marketed as suitable for stock height and lifted vehicles, so I think that the Ironman lift is all from longer/stiffer springs which should work out fine. I'll know for sure soon enough!

DSSA

70K, nice! I'm a bit jealous, but more happy for you!

Made a mistake there...on both mileage and year. It was a family member's truck and it had been a while since I had worked on it. It's actually a 2004 Limited with 81k on it. Very little rust on the suspension components, so I'm happy with it overall. Now to get through the maintenance it needs after basically sitting for 4 years...

I bought it for the right price, but I'll be pretty deep into it before I'm satisfied that everything is up to par, despite buying everything wholesale (both Mitsubishi and aftermarket).

I've worked up a spreadsheet with all the basic maintenance parts (from filters/oils/PCV to timing belt/water pump) if you guys have any questions on that sort of stuff. A combination of OEM/Aftermarket weighing cost/value/reliability.

I've worked on Mitsubishi's for the last 25 years (mainly DSMs/Evos, but have a decent amount of experience with other models), but this is the first 3rd Gen Montero I've personally owned.

DSSA

The OEM bushings for the control arms are available, I replaced mine several years ago.
Pressing them out is not too difficult, or you can get a shop to press them out and the new ones in for you.

Replacing the ball joints does not require the removal of the control arms, so it's a much easier job than the a-arm bushings.

You will enjoy the ride when everything is refreshed on the front end!

Cheers

Where are you seeing OEM bushings for the front control arms? Mitsubishi doesn't show them as being available. They offer diff mount bushings, but they're pretty much the only bushings they offer for the front suspension.

1650563122556.png

DSSA

This is predicated on the assumption that the upper ball joints are bad. I haven't had a chance to properly inspect them yet, but the boots are clearly leaking, the mechanic said that one of them definitely needs replacing and from my brief test drive last night, there's definitely some clunking up there. I'll have to take a closer look to confirm what exactly is going on, and with the way the front suspension is bouncing around, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more that's worn out.

It's $70 for the OEM ball joint which isn't bad, but if I'm going to do the ball joints, I figure I might as well do the bushings while I'm in there. Sadly, Mitsubishi doesn't seem to sell OEM bushings for the front uppers on their own, just whole control arms. All the aftermarket stuff I've found is polyurethane, but I'd rather stick with rubber. It's $120 for an aftermarket control arm from NAPA, which according to the guy at the store is manufactured by Dana Spicer in the USA. That seems like a decent deal and saves me the hassle of pressing in bushings.

The other thing I considered is Total Chaos control arms, but that seems like overkill before I've even started wheeling the truck.

Being that you have a 2006, make sure that you're pricing out the correct ball joints. Mitsu changed them at the end of the run on the 2006s. It's only a VERY small amount of the 2006s sold that were affected, but compare you production date:

1650563326165.png

On another note, there are currently only 2 of the MR496799 currently in the U.S. (yes, Mitsu's inventory is that bad lately).

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've used both of these suppliers for OEM parts that are hard to find in the states.

Cheers

DSSA

I've used both of these suppliers for OEM parts that are hard to find in the states.

Cheers

Well familiar with both sites--and a few others. That said, Mitsubishi doesn't list bushings for the control arms of these trucks regardless of the market. If you've found a part number for them somewhere, they would have to be out of a TSB, or similar.

If it wasn't a TSB part number (which I'm not seeing a TSB for the V77W chassis concerning them) then maybe someone stumbled upon a bushing they DO offer from another model that works---but there's no Mitsubishi part number existing for the front control arm bushings according to Mitsubishi.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
My apologies...I was thinking about the rear control arms, not the fronts.

Cheers

DSSA

My apologies...I was thinking about the rear control arms, not the fronts.

Cheers
Yes.

The rear lower control arms and lateral arms (inboard) are offered (very limited at this point).

1650862139101.png
1650862156396.png

That said--after dealing with MItsu bushings for other cars, they look to be VERY similar to other aftermarket offerings (diameter/length).

There are also companies who specifically make them for this chassis. Installed correctly, they react like new stock bushings yet last much longer.

I wouldn't be turned off from using them.

pwjazz

Thanks. I noticed the polyurethane stuff on there, and actually already got some OEM strut bushings and spring pads from them.

I also noticed that a company named Febest seems to offer rubber bushings, including for the upper control arms. Here's a list of what they have for the late 3rd gens.

Last edited:

DSSA

Thanks. I noticed the polyurethane stuff on there, and actually already got some OEM strut bushings and spring pads from them.

I also noticed that a company named Febest seems to offer rubber bushings, including for the upper control arms. Here's a list of what they have for the late 3rd gens.

SuperPro and Whiteline also offer some bushings as well.

Febest has been hit or miss when I've tried them over the years. To me, they're more of a "bargain brand".

pwjazz

SuperPro and Whiteline also offer some bushings as well.

Febest has been hit or miss when I've tried them over the years. To me, they're more of a "bargain brand".

Alright, ya'll might be convincing me to come around to poly bushings. The thing that kind of scares me off is their reputation for squeaking and the fact that I don't really want to tap for zerk fittings to allow regreasing. Have you had any noise issues with the ones you've used?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94