Klaus - 2006 Montero Build

pwjazz

Now that I think about it, I guess the leak could be coming from that o ring above the plenum and just pooling there.

pwjazz

The Montero gift keeps on giving. I watched a video on replacing the butterfly valve actuator o-ring, thought I could do it without pulling the manifold, ended up breaking the plastic actuator piece. So, I pulled the manifold, fixed the actuator piece with high temp epoxy and was ready to put it back on. Then I figured while I'm in here, might as well check the spark plugs. Oh goodie, oil in the spark plug wells. Every, last, one... Alright fine, hit up RockAuto for a valve cover gasket set, new plugs, new wires and new coils. Stuff arrives, I pull the first valve cover and... I cannot get the old gasket off to save my life. Fine, order some new valve covers (yeah I know I could have probably gotten the old one out with a Dremel and lots of patience, but I wasn't up for that). Get the new valve covers on, get the manifold back on, oops ... I forgot the nut that holds on the butterfly valve actuator. I bet I can just free hand it with the manifold on. Wrong, nut disappears. Fish around with a magnet, bounce the car and listen, no luck. Pull the manifold again, use a replacement nut, get everything put back together, pray that the nut didn't end up somewhere bad and that the gasket I've torqued several times now still seals. Pull the fuel pump fuse, turn the engine over and listen for bad noises from the errant nut. Nothing sounds wrong. Replace the fuel pump fuse, start the engine, it runs! Smoked like a chimney for a little bit, but as far as I can tell it's good. Idles smooth, pulls hard (harder?) towards redline, so I'm a happy camper.

Attachments

• 20230310_150822.jpg
    20230310_150822.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz