Kites-Anyone take one/some camping?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I searched for some info about people into kites and didn't see much. Just curious if anyone takes them camping/offroading/backpacking etc.

I was in REI last week and while waiting to meet my gf for dinner I was pretty much looking at most things in the store I don't normally check out. Well I found their selection of Prism Kites. REI stock a few models and I liked the way they pack away when not in use. Well after comparing prices on Amazon I decided to wait til I got home to check them out a bit more. My thoughts that the company must be staffed/run by outdoor enthusiasts were confirmed after checking out the website and reading some bios. The CEO is a pilot who built his own airplane and flies it to places off the beaten path. Yesterday I received my Prism Stowaway Parafoil kite and flew it soon thereafter. I haven't flown a kite since I was a kit. It was quite peaceful to see this thing just catch the wind and rise up. The way it packs up is ingenious and more than easy to bring along on trips. For those of you with kids this might be an easy way to keep them busy for a while on trips. Not that there isn't usually more than enough at the places most of us travel to.

They make far more than just the parafoil version I got:
http://www.prismkites.com/products-sl-stowaway_parafoil.php

lg_4.jpg

stowparafoil_life_01.jpg

What a way to get away:
lg_5.jpg

New product packaging:
parafoil_packaging.jpg

And a few cell phone pics from my initial flying experience yesterday:
100MEDIA_IMAG1921_zpsc6bc3e2a.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG1922_zps5df19c7c.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG1923_zpsac4d06c8.jpg

This journey has led me to begin investigating other forms of parafoil exploits:
owens1.jpg

2012-10-Aaron_Price-flying_the_owens_valley_sm.jpg

Anyhow please share any experiences with normal ground based string kites.

southpier

Expedition Leader
i flew kites 40 years ago. obviously fabrics and gadgets weren't as they are today. wear gloves! i used 36# braided squid line and swivels. made a chest mounted reel from a block of wood, bent aluminum rod, backpack strap, and reel a friend copped from his job at the phone company. loads of fun. regalo parafoil, bell tetra kite, canvas Japanese fighters, mylar 20 foot tails. roll your line in glue, then ground glass, and try to cut you opponent's string.

never had one, but stunt kiting is close to an olympic sport. really high tech stuff with carbon fiber stays & ripstop nylon. double D handgrips and choreographed flying in synchronization. yes; there's music, too.

Newport RI celebrates Black Ship week every august and sometimes there's Japanese kiters. 30 men teams in uniform flying 20 foot kites with 2" rope. is quite the sight and makes the realization it's not just for kids!

redneck44

Adventurer
I do a bit of kite surfing if that counts:)
It's one of the reasons I'm building my rig, so that I can go off camping and kite surfing with the family.
And a warm shower afterwards is my ultimate goal........no more changing in the freezing cold car park for me:victory:

Might have to pick up one of those stunt kites for a bit fun though

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I have a kite that lives in my rig full time. It's just a small 1.2 meter trainer, but super fun to fly around. It's a great way to pass a bit of time if I'm waiting for someone/something (shop work) and have a space (large parking lot) with some wind. Also just something fun and extremely relaxing/meditative at the end of a long day.

After flying my kite for a bit I too think about trying my hand at paragliding. Maybe this spring I'll give it a shot.

Cheers,
West

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
You know what's funny? Couple years ago I wanted to buy a kite for a beach camping trip. I was reminiscing my younger days when I played with kites all the time.

I went to the local Toys 'R Us to buy a kite, but couldn't find one in the store. I asked a salesperson and they said, "Kids don't play with kites anymore so we do not carry kites." I had no luck at Target or Walmart either. Wow! Do kids not even know what kites are anymore? I guess kids only want smart phones, iPads, and video gaming consoles now.

Anyways, I eventually sourced a kite from Amazon and now I have a Prism Quantum stunt kite. First stunt kite ever and what a blast it was to fly.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Each of us carries one in our B.O.B. They stuff in a small bag. These are the parafoil style "pocket" kites.
I figure that they could make a good signal if one needed to be located by aircraft?
Just fun to have along too.

IMGP0205.JPG

Once in a while we pack a bigger kite too:
IMGP0303.JPG

I can honestly say it has not been so long ago that a dragon flew over Moab :)

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
You know what's funny? Couple years ago I wanted to buy a kite for a beach camping trip. I was reminiscing my younger days when I played with kites all the time.

I went to the local Toys 'R Us to buy a kite, but couldn't find one in the store. I asked a salesperson and they said, "Kids don't play with kites anymore so we do not carry kites." I had no luck at Target or Walmart either. Wow! Do kids not even know what kites are anymore? I guess kids only want smart phones, iPads, and video gaming consoles now.

Anyways, I eventually sourced a kite from Amazon and now I have a Prism Quantum stunt kite. First stunt kite ever and what a blast it was to fly.
If their parents don't teach them they don't. My sister-in-law just asked my soon to be 5 year old son if he'd like to go to Lego Land. He said he'd rather go camping.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Cool to see others who have brought kites out camping. I haven't seen any out so that is why I was curious. The one I got is a simple single line kite. Not made for stunt or combat flying. Interesting stories non the less.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I like to bring a kite along on trips. It is like taking an umbrella to prevent rain. If you are prepared for it, it won't happen! I left my kite at home for the DRV and it blew like crazy.

southpier

Expedition Leader
.... "Kids don't play with kites anymore ....

my friend's "older" brother - i think he was 12- showed us how to make one with 2 sticks and a sheet of newspaper. begged Mom for some sheeting to make a tail. none of us had enough money to buy a 10 cent kite AND roll of string. since no one was smart enough to make string ....

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
If their parents don't teach them they don't. My sister-in-law just asked my soon to be 5 year old son if he'd like to go to Lego Land. He said he'd rather go camping.

Good for you for exposing your son to camping and the great outdoors that he'd choose camping over Lego Land.

GHR

Observer
I've taken a similar kite on solo backpacking trips-nice to fly on a remote peak miles from anyone. I did pick up a small stunt kite a few years ago which adds a greater element of fun to flying a kite. A bit too big for adding to my pack (albeit still very light), but great for days at the beach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles